73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Babyyota

Babyyota Newbie

Yeah I saw you talking to him asking to ship would be dope if he could because I would be interested in the preface lift grill and lower valence since mine is all busted up

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Yeah but he is a stand up guy that didnt want to do anything illegal. He wasn't trying to start an export business.

3. Babyyota

Babyyota Newbie

Yeah if only I can get the address to the shop I have friends that still have families over there could possibly get them and just give them some extra cash for the troubles but we’ll see

Pearce likes this.
  4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Dont go though automotive touch up paint for color match paints. They take way to long. Order my paint on june 20th. Called today and they said they are still mixing it. Should of went local. Thought because they have the code it wouldn't take long. I have read this was a problem before covid. Could of had it within a week.

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got the tach and speedo installed. I think I'll replace the sheetmetal with abs. Is flashes out some. I have the sensor on order and the plug is already here. IMG_20200715_205750_968.jpg

jetas likes this.
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just buy some vinyl at michaels and wrap the mount. 12"x12" sheet is $2

Pearce likes this.
  7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I was talking about for the tach and speedo but I definitely should do that to the 3 gauge mount.

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Oooooh! My bad.

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Going deep into the hole. Time to let out what's happening. Waiting on some orders from lce. Ditching the 4 barrel for dcoe 40's. Realized they dont have ported vacuum. So I ordered the dui shorty without vacuum advance. Also got the ajustable cam gear, degree kit, carb flow meter, crank scraper, oil pickup, oil pan(from orileys), live wires, billet wire loom, billet water pump pulley, and more hardware like timing cover bolts on the way. Though the sidedrafts won't really do much with my head I figure they are totally tunable and can work on pretty much any engine from my research. Still need to purchase the tuning manual. No vacuum advance does bother me some. It would be nice if lce had the solex carbs with ported vacuum. Or had a service to add it. The biggest thing I dont like about the dui is no built in rev limiter. I might get an ignition box to add that. I dont really want to spend any more on the ignition. Maybe if I would of got that paint already I wouldn't be making these questionable decisions right now. Lmao

10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Assembled the bottom end today. Messed up the head gasket opening it. Sucks but oh well. Need to degree the cam and check clearances. Hoping to be done this week or so. IMG_20200728_181125_330.jpg

Perkolator likes this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Paint is finally here. After 40 long days. Screenshot_20200801-120643_Photo Editor.jpg

Perkolator likes this.
  12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Engine is going to look good in there

Pearce likes this.
  13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Thanks. Now I just just to keep everything clean. It's already proving a challenge. But at least now it's not years of oil and it's just dirt.

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Painted everything else for the most part. Still some spots to touch up. The clear could use another coat or two on the passenger side. Firewall as well. Should of got a single stage. Didnt know they offer one. First time ever doing a 2 stage. Didnt know how well the clear covers. I should of bought a gun and a gallon. I didnt have to many problems rattle canning. But after 10 cans of spraying it's hard to grip shit. You feel it in the wrist.

Wrapped the wires. Used fabric wire tape. Goes on pretty easy. Got my wire soldered also. Been needing to do that. I was playing the temporarily permanent game. Only forgot to run my tach wire. Did forget to make a battery hold down. Looking at it, it seems I just need a 90 bracket of some sort to use the stock mounting holes. One from the core support to the bottom of the tray. I was going to do the HVAC apprentice allthread hack but this should be cleaner. And I dont have to weld on anything painted so that's a win. 1596420312507_7048666355_3b56b037.jpg

15. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    That's some nice work you got there. Love that little ghetto blaster too!

jetas and Pearce like this.
  16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Thanks. When I saw the radio I knew I needed it when working on the truck.

jetas likes this.
  17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Pretty much forgot that I had ordered the one piece adapter from transdapt for the weber dgv. Just got an email from jegs saying it's not shipping till September. Just a heads up anyone looking at them. Hoping to have it canceled because obviously I dont really need it. But if I that doesn't happen it I'll post it for sale here to help someone out.

18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well I need to get a thicker head gasket. I do not have the clearances I need. Good thing I checked. Everyone said .430 you'll be fine. Yeah no. Not with my head. Probably just milled to much. I got .040 clearance between the valves and piston. Probably going to need to call lce to get what I need. I should be seeing .090 for clearance.

19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got all my parts but in the middle of moving so not to much going on with the hilux. Got a thicker head gasket and a .020" shim. Probably going to run both and that will get me around the recommended clearance.

Might of got another vehicle to keep me from totally turning the hilux into a race truck. The homie I got the truck from is offering me a 73 honda civic with a Jackson racing widebody. Nice little retro racer. I know it's not Toyota but it will look great next to the hilux. It's a car that needs to get finished as a tribute to some late friends. B16 swap started with integra suspension. One way this ties into the hilux is I'll be collecting some honda parts. I always wanted to throw a honda motor in the truck. Could be in the future. Now to get a celica.

jetas likes this.
  20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well started putting in the motor. But it looks like I will need to make up some motor mounts. I'll try again with the stock ones when I get an extra hand. It could just need better alignment going in. But from what I can tell so far that's not the case.