73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got out one of the flaws I thought about leaving. Not a lot left to knock down. 20200424_130655.jpg

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Fan is mounted. Waiting on the welder before I put it in so I can weld the mounts. I was going to use the shroud mounts and totally cut off the other ones. But I can wait. Fan fits perfect. I was worried I went too big. 1588107564810_8114655247_3b56b037_v1.jpg

74RN22 likes this.
  3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Just a little reminder to myself. The aluminum on the radiator is 5052. Need to know to match filler metal.

Actually it cant be that. Even though that's what the seller said. It's the only aluminum in the 5xxx series that cant be welded without cracking. Have to look into it more now.

Talked to my friend that built radiators in the past. He said to go with 5356.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Started thinking about kitting out the truck as a work rig. Picked up a milwaukee packout mounting plate. Pretty invested in that system so it was ment to be. Plained on making a bottle rack. But I need to set up my power better. The new machine is to much for my old setup. The bottle rack is really needed because I nearly lost my new bottle on the road today. Didnt tie it down and slammed the tailgate open. It was hanging off the tailgate when I pulled over. Good ass times.

Some really trouble started showing up though. Noticed a little knock at high rpms only under load. Kept running it. Hadn't popped the hood in sometime. I'm with my brother and mentioned the knock. He wanted to hear it. I start it up and pop the hood to see a nice bit of oil on the valve cover(the old one. Haven't finished polishing.) After seeing that I just closed her back up and pushed home.

Been thinking about picking up a later model and using that for a while. Something under 3000. Found a few decent ones. Still up in the air. Might just buy a car. 20200505_200104.jpg

5. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Pep talk time!!

Stated: You've come to far, to give up now!!!..........

That said, I've slowed my work on mine due to being.....Retired!! Too many hours in the day, Plus without a friend stopping bye to make sure I didn't drop the truck off my jack stands and me not having that advertised button. You know the one, Help!! It's fallen and I can't lift this truck!! (off my old, fat Arse)

Pearce likes this.
  6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Not giving up just thinking about the money and options. I'm still on the fence about what the best move would be right now. Thinking about abandoning my performance build and doing something more mild. I do like the fact I only have to work on one vehicle.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You could always just put the performance aspect on hold, get everything else you want to do buttoned up then go back. Plus finances may change and you could do something different

Pearce likes this.
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Yeah that's kind of my idea. Really wouldn't take much to get the hybrid together. Have alot of parts to complete the drivetrain. Might just get the head I have for it magnafluxed, resurfaced and leak tested. Run a stock 20r cam because it's all I have. The big cost right now would be new pistons if I did a big cam. I just think I should find a decent rig for the time being I don't care to much about. That way I'm not doing stuff to just get it on the road. Also heard along time ago that you are very likely to crash your first vehicle. Its burned into my mind. I figure if I get another vehicle the odds go down and eases my mind. Lol

9. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    LOL As if that's possible...

74RN22 and Pearce like this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well pulled the motor last night with the help of my brother and good friend. Out in 3 hours. No one got hurt. I was a little sketchy because I was the only sober one. When we first lifted it, it was not positioned right. I give drunk people to much trust sometimes. Was pretty damn tight but with enough man handling we got it. Going to get the head checked out this week and hopefully get it together soon. Just need a few parts. 20200516_214125.jpg 20200516_224226.jpg 20200516_231745.jpg output.jpg

74RN22 and jetas like this.
  11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pretty fun pulling it with the trans attached huh? Lol

Pearce likes this.
  12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Even better when you someone comes around and says they have a leveler I could of used. Not the easiest.

jetas likes this.
  13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pulled mine solo with no leveler haha. It sucked

Pearce likes this.
  14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Worked on the truck some today. Moved the motor mounts and alternator over to the other motor. Checked the head if it was still in spec. Its actually worse then the the one on the 20r. Got to get some plate welded in on the motor mounts of the frame. One is completely shot. Luckily I know a guy. Also busted the rear brake line when we pulled it. Looks to be in a good spot i can just cut and reflare. Also go to route the left brake line. The last guy just had it go under the motor.

Took most of my tools down to the shop and loaded the back of the truck with them. Something like 500 plus pounds in it. Has some squat. Definitely going to need helper bags. I have plans on throwing an engine driven welder generator in her. That's another 500lbs. Got my bottle rack mounted as well. Also welded some of the holes on the bed and the screw holes for the old mirrors. Been needing to do that.

Pic of the wannabe little boy work rig. 20200518_172755.jpg

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Figured I was looking at the motor mounts with a bit of tunnel vision so I looked them up. Order some off of autozone. At first look I didn't see anything that made it a bolt on part.

74RN22 likes this.
  16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Cleaned up the engine bay today. About ready to spray the frame. Need to sand the firewall and tubs before I can do those. Realized after cleaning the route for the passenger brake line does go under the motor. The last guy just didnt use the hold downs on the crossmember. Pulled most of the stuff from the 20r I need. Noticed when pulling the flexplate one of the bolts was ground down. Assuming from the flywheel. So that's something I need to look into. Only thing I really need from it now is the pan. I'll wait on that. Because the last owner of the 22r didn't mask anything when he painted I'm thinking about getting a timing cover, water pump, and oil pump. I want a classic look with a black block and everything else bare. Just hope I dont run into a problem with the cover not matching to block height. Looking like right now my biggest expense is going to be odds and ends like bolts. Thinking I'll go ahead with the arp head bolts. Because of the plans to open it up again. The last mounts were hacked in and it looks like the drivers side needed to be offset when the initial swap happened. Need to do a test fit. Hoping the stock mounts aren't a problem.

Haven't dove into to 20r but when taking off the clutch I was spinning it and could feel and hear how bad it was. Also seemed like there was tons of thrust or whatever its called.

74RN22 likes this.
  17. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    See, I knew you still them had the spirit to address the problems and correct them one by one. solid plan and I like the bare cover idea. Head studs and spare gaskets work.

Are you gonna polish them before installation?

18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I might. If they look to be in decent shape I'll do the work. If it's going to take alot of sanding I'll leave them as is.

74RN22 likes this.
  19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Started cleaning the transmission. Coming out alright. I started sanding down the bell housing to do a polish on it. It's not taking to much effect to knock it down. Thinking I'll probably just take it to 1000 then polish. It will not be a mirror finish but it will have a decent shine to it. 20200602_151716.jpg 20200602_140518.jpg the scaling starts showing up as soon as you sand. Not to hard to knock down. Less time should be spent on this then compared to the valve cover. This section has already been sanded. This is just a before shot.

20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Funny thing is there is a transmission shop in the first picture. I'm sure they will get a kick out of my work when I'm done. Might see what it would cost for a rebuild.