73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Figured I would get my build thread going. Just working on getting it dialed to be roadworthy. Been doing some little things over the years. Mostly finding all the problems. It's got new tires, gastank, gm alternator and bracket, new coil, flowtech shorty header, Subaru outback seats, aftermarket wheel, new fenders, valance, marker lights/signals, door weather stripping, all new badges even a nos hood badge, dash cap, double din radio, and universal wiring kit.

I just started wiring it up last month. I have most of it done. Just got the wipers mostly wired up today. No return function. I started working on the hazard lights. I thought I may have it then I realized I made my turn signal switch act as hazard as well. I think I can figure it out. I'll work on it tomorrow.

I need to do the tie rods and brakes. I plan on doing the brakes soon. I have the lines and hardware for the front coming. Going to get the shoes from a local shop. Then I think I'll resurface the drums at the shop next door to my work. I have a good relationship with them so I should be able to walk in and do it myself or have someone do it for me. I'll do the tie rods after the brakes. Also need to get a new hand brake cable.

I'm not sure to dial in the motor with the stock carb for now or go with a weber. I plan on doing a cam and sidedrafts at some point. But I do want to get it rolling soon.

Drove it for the first time in 4 years after wiring it up. I was pretty excited. Most thrilling drive ever and I only went down the block and back. Did a 2nd gear rip open header it was ridiculous. I think I can get her rolling before the end of the year as my daily. Then I'll be on to the fun mods.

Attached Files:

74RN22 likes this.
  2. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    eBay item number:

Pearce likes this.
  3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

I've seen that. Definitely going to pick it up. Trying to get all the literature I can.

74RN22 likes this.
  4. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What aftermarket harness did you end up using

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

I just used an ebay 14 circuit kit. It was a little bit of a pain. The wire going to the ignition was wrong and I had to find where the mess up was. It was a basic kit so no extra wire just the 12v supply wires for the components. So I had to supply wires after a switch and stuff like that.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Oh ok i see. Yea i ended up running an 21circuit EZ Wiring harness. That one had almost everything i needed but i still added alot and made some add on harnesses

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Most kits are that way. I was able to save the rear harness so it made it really easy hooking all that up. Just need to get a new license plate light ,reverse switch ,and dome light then I'll have all stock functions. Just sorted out the hazards with the old switch. Wish I still had the old headlight switch. I now have one random billet knob.

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    One nice thing is it was about the size of the old fuse block so I was able to use the stock location. Slightly interferes with the hood release.

David Eidson likes this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    These old switches are weird. I test them and the show bad but I give them power and they are good. My reverse light switch works. So glad that was a $30 switch. For some reason my lights dont work. I kind of remember hooking up the tail lights to the backup pin and got light. The old harness might not be as good as I thought. Might just run wire to them. That's my update for today. So close to having all the wiring hooked up. After that soilder and wrap.

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Reverse is simple, hot in, go in R and completes the circuit to the light. All wires going to the lights are switched +, they ground thru the mounting points themselves

12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Did some poking with the reverse light. The wire and light is dead. My luck. Ran my wire to the back and called it. I'm going to be ordering new taillights soon. I'll sort it out then. Just ordered all the parts for the front drums. Should have it all by the 5th. Couldn't find front shoes in stores. Didnt want to chance some that should work an just ordered a set off rockauto.

13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So I got most of my parts to my brakes today. I thought I had ordered everything but to my surprise there are 4 cylinders in the front. I kind of knew that but wasn't sure. The listing said it was for either side. So I started on the passenger because I remember it diving to the left when you slam on the brakes. Got everything off and cleaned up then I realized the holes were not matching up. After seeing that I go on rockauto and order the 2 for the right and start work on the drivers side. I put the cylinders in and the holes line up then I do the brake line. The body isnt as big and it dosnt seat at all. Probably an 1/8th to 3/16th inch gap. It did not come with a new banjo bolt. Kind of pissed. Looking at the old cylinders they dont seem bad. Might just use them. But it would be nice to get the new ones fitted up. I think the brake hoses will be here by the time the other cylinders come. Hoping to have the bolt sorted out by then.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Did a good bit of measuring and I think I found some that should work. M10×1 is what I got for pitch. I went with one that's 28mm total length. That's close to 10mm shorter then the original. As long as the threads are right I think they should work. I'll know by tomorrow.

Ordered the wrong ones at first and selected the m10x1.25 and the right ones dont come till monday.

With the amount of money I have spent so far on the brakes I could of got just about everything I need for a disc conversion.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well I broke my flare wrench trying to pull off the lines. It's pretty well rounded. I'm going to try to pull it off from the splitter and get a parts store to make me a new one.

I did get the speedo working. The cable I ordered was wrong and I had to modify it to fit in the cluster. Fits fine in the transmission. I bought the one with the bolt to lock it in but I looks to be the clip version I need. So with the mod I lifted it in the air started it up and put it into gear. Seemed to be working fine. Still need to do the dash lights but I plan on doing that when I get my other gauges in.

74RN22 likes this.
  16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got the lines in and the new banjos. My boss came over and told me I should try vise grips. I was telling him I could of done the disc swap for about what I paid so far. He gave me the heads up that drums are really solid and drag racers tend to keep them as long as they can. I would of ended up changing it in the future anyway. The new banjo bolts seem like they will work. They are somewhat short. One did start to feel like it was ripping the treads out. I know better. I've been installing ductless hvac units for the last 2 years. I should be using a torque wrench on flare nuts. Or calibrate my arm before hand. Hoping it's all good. I'll know when I go to fill them I guess. Still waiting on my other cylinders. Should have them tomorrow or the next day.

17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Pretty excited. Just talked to a guy on offer up that has a near perfect windshield for 40 bucks. Hes a little out of the way and said he can have a buddy bring it into town and I can pick it up from him. It looks to be about 60 bucks for the rubber. About another ten for the windshield adhesive. My neighbor is already down to help. I was quoted 350 bucks or so from a shop. This is a huge savings. I did want to pick up a Weber this week but that will have to wait till next week. I can get that anyday for the same price. Sure a junkyard may have one for about the same. But there is a good chance I would have to pull it myself. I dont want to risk messing up a bunch of glass.

18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Found a mom and pop shop in my area with a weber kit for $250. Decided to pick it up. Got it on. Waiting on a few parts. Also got new spark plugs and wires coming. Hoping to fire it up tomorrow and go for a test drive. Brakes should be done then to.

Attached Files:

74RN22 likes this.
  19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Manual choke?

20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Yeah. It was a little cheaper and fool proof.