70s four light front on a 1980?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Cade01, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Is it possible to mount the four light front off of an earlier Toy on a 1980? I like the look better and there is better HID upgrades for the smaller lights. How hard would it be to do the conversion? Thanks up front,

Austin

2. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    It's a completely different body, so def. Not easy. But anything is possible. My guess is that you would have to do some panel splicing /graphting on the tip of fender or if right before body line starts after wheel opening? might be easier to make your own grille section that holds 2 round headlights on each side. Lots of cutting and Fiberglass on stock grill and buckets or a lot of sheet metal work. ?? I know the 80's models well but not much on the bodies before that,i just based this off how different the bodies looked.

3. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Sounds like a pain in the ass. I was hoping it was a simple as fenders, hood, core support, grill, bumper, and lights. May just have to find an older pickup. I hoped that since they were in the same forum that they were the same platform.

4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    No problem to mount them due to the buckets being mounted to a flat plate that bolts onto the core support. You will probably need to add spacers to a few spots but no problem. Other than wiring. How you make them look right is another story. :lol:

One thing to think about if you just want to go with hid bulbs is to cut the buckets and just use a single bulb. I did that on my big 80 Toyota wheeler.

5. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I like the four light setup because you can get the. 5 1/4" (or whatever they are) projectors out of an older BMW that fit perfect.