5mge 7mg(t)e 22re throttle body swap?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by trap, Oct 23, 2008.

1. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    has anyone ever tried using a throttle body off a 5mge or 7mg(t)e? I see some guy on ebay trying to sell one claiming it will swap. I read about it in a celica forum a while ago too but it was always on a old style manifold. This guy on ebay said its a 60mm as opposed to 55mm stock. I like the idea of getting a extremely cheap 60mm throttle body instead of spending $300 and dealing with core for a 58mm

2. cEElint

cEElint Enthusiast

Truck:
    '91 Yota STD
    this i'd like to know as well.. if so i'll head to the junkyard and snag that **** for like $10

3. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    I have a 5mge throttle body in my garage......

I'll check it out

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
  5. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    looks like it only works for the old plenum style...

6. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    Yeah, I've done it. I'd say that unless you support it with a cam and header to increase the airflow capability of the engine, it's mostly a waste of time. The biggest difference on a stock RE is that more air passes at lower throttle angles, giving the illusion of better response. Unless you back it with other mods however, most 22REs don't need a bigger TB.

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    just need to get a bigger VAFM from 5M... stock is restrictive

8. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    Done that too... it's not restrictive at the airflow rate of a stock 22RE. The only way to benefit from either of these mods is to help the engine breath easier from the intake, through the head, and out the exhaust. In other words, big AFM, 5M/7M TB, head work (if you can), camshaft, and bigger exhaust. Once the entire flow path has been upgraded, the RE can make a little more power.

I'm not saying don't do it, just that there isn't much benefit on a stock engine. Believe me, I tried every one of these mods before I went turbo.

9. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    I do have a intake, full exhaust and some other bolt ons. I am planning on LCE's intake performance package and mass airflow conversion kit before I build a long block. I made the semi-mistake of buying a behemoth sized toolbox last year that is consuming my truck parts fund till its payed off

If I can gain any power at all from a $10 junkyard part I will start tomorrow

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    here's my logic... if you breate easier, you run better... if it breathes easier, itll run better

stock auto xcab 1 inch lower up front 22re w/ some cheap intake mods (2970lb?) wins against a stock 4door integra sohc nonVTec w/ 140hp (21xx lbs? )

my cheap intake is... two 2" into airbox/ vafm, then 3" till stock TB. so i smoothened some things airflow wise, thatll smoothen yur torque curve.

sorry if that was confusing, if it was, lets just stick to the logic i typed... im on a psp

and yes, i won

11. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    That's my point, the mods work together. I'd strongly recommend ditching the stock cam, even a mild aftermarket cam is a big improvement over stock, and they are not very expensive for the R engines. Once the engine can flow better from intake through to exhaust all the mods start to really pay off. Remember, I said it's a waste on a STOCK engine.

BTW, LCE = $$$$! It's easy to get hooked on their website, but if you make a wish list and add it all up, it would probably be close to the cost of an engine swap which could easily mean some real power.....

12. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    I would go with a engine swap but my truck is a daily driver. I also have the issue of living in California where cops tow you for motor swaps or not having CARB approved performance parts.

Motor swaps in california are a huge pain in the ass to make legal. You have to prove you obtained the motor legally from a US car of the same manufacturer.(so jdm motors are illegal) It has to be a newer motor with better emissions and of the same class. (so no big truck motors in little cars) The stock ecu and all emissions equipment have to be used and then they check out everything with a fine toothed comb.

Basically the only legal way to have a motor swap is to buy a complete donor vehicle with a title , and then spend like 6 months doing paper work, jumping through hoops and having it inspected.

13. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    That sucks, up here I can put anything in that fits. A good legal swap would be a 2RZ from a Taco, if you could find a donor, ~160hp out of the box.

If you stay with the RE I'd recommend the CARB legal TRD cam, I run one (Crane's version) in my Celica. Much better than stock.

14. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    has anyone made this throttle body work on a 89-95 22re? if so can I see pics and what do you think of it. Was it worth it?

15. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
  16. topcop182

topcop182 Addict

Truck:
    1993 single cab 2wd
    All for getting more power for cheap- Bump

17. TheLoLux

TheLoLux Toyotaholic

Truck:
    70 LoLux 92 CYN YOTA 84ish 4runner
    I thought about putting a 7 m tb on my truck in the shower tonight. So I google the size and this pulled up. Lol.
    So I going to put one on my truck.:waytogo:

18. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    hehe, something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the 22re idle control valve bolts to the throttle body. 5M and 7M bolt the (electric) IAC to the plenum.

5M and 7M are the same size. 7mge and 7mgte are identical except the gte has 1 EGR vacuum port instead of 3. also the early years have a plastic plug over the air bypass adjustment screw, later years it's a metal plug.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  19. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    This thread could use some updating with pictures if anyone has them.. some of the old Celica links don't work anymore. Some keep asking about this swap. I myself would appreciate the deets.