4WD Hub won't lock

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Roland Deschain, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Enthusiast

So driver's side hub won't fully lock into 4wd, it will fully lock in free. Thinking about just replacing the pair. They've been off at some point as someone has beat on them to remove the cone washers instead of using a punch.
    IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg

2. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Disassemble, clean, inspect for damage, repair or replace damaged pieces, lube and reassemble.

If the PO beat on things to disassemble the hub check for dings and bends. If any part is bent replace it. Dings can be profiled out with a file and other abrasive.

Perkolator and Roland Deschain like this.
  3. Roland Deschain

Yeah I can clearly see where someone has beat on the hubs trying to break the washers loose. Only one side is having no lock issue but I’ll take it apart and see if I can identify the problem. If not I’ll likely go ahead and replace the pair.

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/front_end/hub_rebuild/

I'd try rebuilding them first because a set of hubs will run you a few hundred bucks. I've done it and it's not that hard - they're probably just gunked up internally. IIRC just watch out for the loose ball bearing inside the hubs, as it will likely fall out when you take it apart. Use antisieze on the cone washers when replacing so they come off easily in future.

Probably a good time for you to service your front hubs anyways if opening things up, like repacking your bearings at least. Likely don't even need new bearings - found mine were still in great condition at 200k when I decided to replace them, just sloppy from lack of grease. You'll need the big 54mm socket to do the bearings

Roland Deschain likes this.
  5. Roland Deschain

Took the left hub apart and it was assembled incorrectly. Got it all out cleaned and lightly greased and reassembled. Locks in no problem, found a really good video on Youtube that walks through it. Went for first long ride today since all the mods and paint / liner application. Rides nice and tight and quiet. IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg

Perkolator likes this.
  6. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Always look for the simplest issue. Glad it was one of those.

Roland Deschain likes this.