4runner glove box light/switch on pickup problem

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 22RETOY, Jun 6, 2016.

1. 22RETOY

22RETOY Newbie

Can anyone help me, im trying to install a glove box light from a 4runner on my 92 pickup and cant figure it out, I tried connecting to the batt with a fuse link and it just burns the fuse and wires

2. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Here’s a rundown of how I wired mine as far as I remember.

You should have the switch, the plug for the switch with two wires (green and green with red stripe), the light with two wires and the plug for the light with two wires (also green and green with red stripe). On one of the plugs, one of the green/red stipe wire matched up with a white w/black stripe and the other matched up with solid red.

The green is your illumination wire, you will find this color wire running to your clock, your radio, and the lights for your cigarette lighter and ashtray (if you pulled those from a 4runner as well.) I was already soldering back in my radio wiring harness because the PO had hacked it up for some stupid reason (there are adapters for these things, you know!), so I just tapped into the illumination and the switched (white w/black) wire on the cigarette lighter.

It probably doesn’t matter which direction you hook it up, but you’ll want a loop that goes from your green wire on the radio harness into the white/black wire on the cigarette lighter harness and along that loop you have the light and the switch. Green wire at harness should attach to one of the wires on the light, the other wire on the light should attach to one of the wires on the switch, the other wire on the switch should attach to the white/black wire on the cigarette lighter.

It gets more complicated if you wire in the illuminated ashtray and cigarette lighter, because you bring in two additional wires, but it’s doable.

One caveat about wiring it this way is that the green illumination wire is hooked to your park light switch, so your glove box light won’t turn on unless you have your park lights on and your glove box is open. I guess the thought is that you shouldn’t need it otherwise.

Kirk likes this.
  3. Kirk

Kirk Member

Hello guys i have a 1993 yota it I swapped the cluster from a runner I noticed it has a gas light was wondering if someone could tell me how to get it hooked up