4-Speed owners.

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by toy_boy, Nov 9, 2008.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Good evening everyone:

Just wanted to ask those who are still running with their 4-speeds at what speeds on the freeway do they run at?

I, myself, try to stay at 55 in the slow lane. But sometimes due to traffic demands I do have to go 65mph. At 50-55 I know I should be okay (my truck has no factory Tach) since this truck was built during a time when that was the speed limit. But I often wonder if steadily running at 60-65 could prematurely wear out my motor because of the way the 4-speed is geared - though I'm unsure if this is actually true. What do you think?

(I hope I posted this in the right place. I figure it's a Maintenance/Repair question regarding the up-keep and preservation of my motor's health, rather than a "swap" question. At least that's what my intentions were.)

Thanks in advance for all your time and opinions.

Joe

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    welcome to toyotaminis!

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    my speedo says im doing 55 @ 3.5k redline should be 4.5-5k

so i would say your pretty safe doing 70mph. the 20r doesnt have a forever power band, you can hear and tell when you've reached the end.

and it would take a lot more then some almost redline driving to kill one.... a lot more.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89AxuhEHc3o

4. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    ^ great vid! "never say die" :D

5. bootleg

bootleg Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 4-speed
    My 88 has a four speed I feel I can get off the blocks faster than most,. I drive it like a 3-speed and use 4th as a overdrive on the freeway, shift through gears 1-2-3 and then get up to 60 in 3rd, No Problem if you stretch 2nd to 40 or so, my 4 speed does 110 no problem,.

6. bootleg

bootleg Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 4-speed
    My 88 has a four speed I feel I can get off the blocks faster than most,. I drive it like a 3-speed and use 4th as a overdrive on the freeway, shift through gears 1-2-3 and then get up to 60 in 3rd, No Problem if you stretch 2nd to 40 or so, my 4 speed does 110 no problem,. I also use the same process with my bros 75 4 speed

7. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Adjusting.

Yeah, around town I kinda like the gearing of the 4-speed.

I leave for work at around 4am so I cruise 55 in the slow lane totally enjoying the ride. GAWD, I love the smooth purrr of these motors, especially when they're healthy.

Going home at 3:30pm it's usually all traffic so everyone else has no choice but to stay within my pace, so really having the 4-speed hasn't been that big of an adjustment.

Going 65-70 really isn't a problem, it's just the wear and tear on the motor and of course the gas consumption I'm trying to control. A fifth gear would probably solve both those concerns.

But, yes, I am learning to enjoy the 4-speed.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  8. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    cant WAIT TO DITCH MINEEEE!!
    I got 2 days to, go... even though my truck died today so I wont even have to use it but if anyone wants a rebuilt 4 speed and one with less then 100k with brand new zoom clutch.. shoot me an offer.. lol