2wd/4x bed differences??? BLUEBYU2

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Stangbanger1971, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Stangbanger1971

Stangbanger1971 Member

How much tire clearance can I gain with 4x bed on a 2wd? Looking for more tire clearance on a drag set up. Pics? Info?

Attached Files:

88darthyota likes this.
  2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I dnt know the exact amount, but u will get alittle, not alot. Im sure someone here can let you know.

Also, when making post, please put them in correct sub-forum..

Stangbanger1971 likes this.
  3. Stangbanger1971

Stangbanger1971 Member

Thanks! Theres so many trucks like mine that have a SB Chevy swap and drag set UPS bet no one knows anything it seems... I can't even get a response from advanced adapters on what mounts work as their not actually for a 2wd. Ready to just scrap it and build something else as no one knows anything...

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    i feel you on that. Theres so many people who have done engine swaps but no one says what exactly was done Or how it was done. Im an example myself because i rewired my truck front to back and i didnt post anything here. I wish i would have. couldve helped someone looking to do the same.

Dont let the project go to shit, do it, document it and post. Il probably do the same with whatever swap i do

5. Stangbanger1971

Stangbanger1971 Member

Really sucks she I have pretty much everything laying here for the swap. Engine,trans,radiator,8.8" explorer rear,etc... No one wants to let me know what advanced adapters mounts they used or what kind of tire room they have. I've heard 265/50-15 on 8" wheel and 5" backspace with a 4x bed. But... No one seems to know differences in the wheel space from 2x to 4x bed. And the guy with 265s I dont even know what rear end he had. No one tells anyone anything. Just a bunch of vague answers. I'm to the point ill just send everything back and scrap it. Not worth the hassle to me. I'll just get a s10 and den tho to the crusher... Shame. I'll make sure to post it for everyone so they know to maybe help ppl when they can

6. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Advance doesn't know because it's not a common swap.

None of the major companies make motor mounts that put the engine in a good place. They are all too high and/or too far forward. Build your own mounts.

You'll need a corvette oil pan since it is shorter allowing the engine to be set lower.

AA log style headers will work but they won't make the power that a set of long tubes will.

You'll need to use a short water pump setup. My old small block 84 used 70ish chevy truck parts.

The bellhousing is too large to fit in the trans tunnel without work but it's possible.

jetas likes this.
  7. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    From my memory, and this was 10+ yrs ago, when I was researching the 350 swap. I did find bolt in motor mounts and did learn that the firewall needed to be pushed back alittle where the distributor is. I don't recall trans mount, but if I'm correct, someone did make a bell housing adaptor for the Toyota 4x4 trans. If you have all the parts, why just give up just because there is not 100% step by step manual? To me that's the fun in it. You want to do the research in the 4x4 forums, like yotatech.com and such as the 4x4 community has ALOT more tech info than here. This place is good for moral support and other mods (body), but for technical stuff, 4x4 sites rule.

Also, I wouldn't worry about wheels atm, until the motor and tranny are in the truck and running correctly. If anything find a 4wd bed and take measurements. I used to own one, but sold it to a kid here locally; that is actually doing a lot with the truck. I can try and reach out to him and meet up, but that may be days before I get to it or even ahold of him, lol.

Not trying to bash or anything, just trying to help.

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    northwestoffroad.com has swap parts. Looks like its more towards 4x4 but its worth a look.

9. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I think I read before that on an 84-88 Toyota, the flared 4wd fender is around 3/4" more coverage than the 2wd, so not much difference. Good luck with the 350 swap I have nothing to contribute there.

10. Stangbanger1971

Stangbanger1971 Member

Thanks everyone. I'm just overthinking this. I found a picture of some mounts but unsure whose they are. As to the bed.. 3/4" is alot when you need all the tire you can get. Here's pics of the mounts. Anyone know whose they are??

Attached Files:

11. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Cant say on mounts, but a simple google search should give u a few options on the motor swap.

12. Stangbanger1971

Stangbanger1971 Member

I've Google's my life out and no one ever says," these mounts and these headers" thats all I need really other then figuring out the rear backspace for the widest drag radials I can fit. Trans mount is no big deal...

13. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Only thing I can suggest atm is to order a set and test fit everything. Headers are always going to be the pain as the 2wd / 4wd trucks headers are different, best thing would be to order block huggers and build off of them. When I get a chance, I will look thru my favorites history and see what I saved.

14. Stangbanger1971

Stangbanger1971 Member

Thats all I can think of too. I think the trans adapt mounts will work by the look. If I have to modify the firewall to clear the distributor I will as my buddy who does all my welding is a fabricator. Just trying to use all off the shelf stuff here and document everything for others. As to the bed on a 2wd... I did a few quick measurements today and I appears theres about 11" frame to outer wheel lip. 1/4" space clearance on each side and 1/4" that the leaf spring sticks out into that space leaves me at 10 1/4" tire max sidewall width. I can cut/roll the wheel lip for a extra 1/4" if needed. As to tire night if I can tuck the tire a 34" tall tire will fit. I'm looking to run a 28" tall rear tire as I need the sidewall for cushion on launch however it looks like a 26x10.5-15 m/t et street is the widest that will fit. If the 4x bed gains 3/4" on each side I should be able to run a 275/60-15 et street which is perfect for certain classes I could bracket race in. Not worried about that though. Just want a nasty street truck to take everyone's