22re No spark, no start!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by joeynational, Apr 24, 2015.

1. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    Haven't been on here in a minute but....just did my UCA bushings, after doing so my truck does not start. Its been almost 4 weeks since its been down! Here is what I have done.

Verified fuel is making it to engine, i can hear fuel pump, plus pulled the spark plugs and they are slightly wet and smell like fuel

spark test per FSM, i did find my coil to be at 1.2 ohm between - and + and secondary was roughly 9.5k. My primary resistance is out of spec and secondary is barely in spec. I had battery power 13v at + terminal at the coil. Distributor cap, signal generator and spark plug wires all tested good as well as air gap.

I hooked up my timing light to each spark plug wire and cranked over the engine. I had a strobe of light for about 3 seconds and then nothing after that.

I know my coil is out of spec but i have a spare which is also out of spec but barely. The truck was running fine previously. I am having a hard time believing that the coil is bad and I dont want to buy one if i don't have to. Plus i think i can't return it.

Does anyone know how to test the igniter? I also was looking at testing the ECM but the FSM says to do it at idle, i can't cuz no start..duh!

Looking for a fresh input please!!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    i just went to Oriellys and checked a brand new coil, the primary resistance was 1.8 ohms and secondary 12.5k ohms. So i am pretty sure it isn't the coil, didnt end up buying one there.

My thought is its like the ECM is not getting some signal it needs somewhere

3. Frank Ross

Frank Ross Newbie

Truck:
    Toyota DLX Extra Cab Pickup with 5 Speed Manual Transmission

4. Frank Ross

Frank Ross Newbie

Truck:
    Have you checked your IGNITOR ?

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Put the old UCA bushings back in? Lol im kidding

Have you checked to make sure youre still getting voltage to the ignitor?

6. Frank Ross

Frank Ross Newbie

Truck:
    Possibly a problem with the ICM ... i also have No Spark and No Fuel I am getting 12.10 Volts to both the Wt.& Blk and also on the Black wire going to the ICM to the Coil...is there a fuse or Relay in this Circuit ?

7. Frank Ross

Frank Ross Newbie

Truck:
    I cant find my Crankshaft Position Sensor.. I have check everywhere.. I have a 1994 Toyota DLX 2.4 L Pickup Engine 22RE Does anyone know please ? I was told that I did not have one ! but in the distributor Pickup Module the equivalent or same thing is this true ? Thank you in advance.