20R radiator replacement

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by nottoshabi, Aug 26, 2022.

1. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

78 hilux I was wondering what some of you had done that had to replace your radiators? I searched all over the net and my local parts store, and all I can find was for 22R motor not. Does another radiator company make radiators that fit this model?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I have no clue what radiator is in my truck. I assume its from a 20R, and im running a 22R block/20R head and have had no issues with cooling.

the mounts dont line up with the factory mounting points for the 18R this truck came with but it fits.

i checked radiator part numbers on rockauto for a 78(20R), 80(20R), 83(22R) and there are exactly the same parts listed from one to the other.

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I know the second gen is hard to find a exact replacement. Performance radiator did carry them but out of stock on the site. If you run into trouble you might have get an aftermarket one for a 22r. The later second gen does have wider frame rails so that will help. The trouble comes from the distance between the motor and core support. The later is a little different so you may have more room then in my truck. I fit a 3 row in mine but I didn't have the room for any sort of decent fan to pull in the air. I only have 2⅛" from the radiator to the water pump. Something like a spal slim fan is 2⅛" thick. I ended up having to do a 10 inch pusher. With a later truck and a 2 row you might be alright though. Will definitely need to mod the brackets. Easy enough to make something work if you got the tools.

4. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Does your have the whose that runs to heater in the car? I have checked those numbers my self as well. And you are correct. Mine has the heater in the car which ran a separate whose coming out of the radiator on the same pipe that goes to the engine. That whose ran through the heater in the car and back into the engine on the passenger side.

I have removed the heater form inside the cabin and connected an extension to the whose and routed it back in the car. But I would like to replace the radiator and I can not find one that has that T at the radiator exit pipe. All the new ones come with out that T connection.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Mine does have the connection for the heater core. And its actually blocked off, im using the connections on the passenger side of the engine for the in/out to the heater. Really considering removing the heater