1992 Toyota pickup keep blowing tail light and dash fues

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Nativeyota, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Nativeyota

Nativeyota Newbie

I keep blowing my tail lights and dash lights it’s a 1992 Toyota pickup 5speed reasons why? The truck has 181576 miles on it I’m the third owner of it I can’t figure out why it keeps blowing the fuse turn signals work flashers work just no dash lights or tail lights

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check the lights themselves, make sure the wiring isn't pinched or a bad bulb or something. Its clearly shorted out somewhere.

And please use some punctuation on the next post.

3. Nativeyota

Nativeyota Newbie

I changed the bulb on driver side it had a crack in it. It still blew the fuse so I unplugged the tail light assembly and it still blew the fuse. Also I took all the light assembly out and they all looked good.

4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    You’ve got a short somewhere. Check your wiring harness where it passes through the firewall or any other area’s subject to impact damage. Electrical shorts can be real buggers to find.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Does the fuse blow as soon as you pop a new one in or when something is activated?

6. Nativeyota

Nativeyota Newbie

I put one in it and start driving and within about five minutes it blows.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Does it blow when the brake is pressed? When the parking lights are turned on? Or simply when the ignition is on? When reverse is engaged? When you look at the truck?

8. Nativeyota

Nativeyota Newbie

I will just be driving down the road and then it will blow and sometimes when i look at it too lol.

9. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    See what other systems are run off the same fuse. It might be somewhere else besides lights.

I remember years ago find a short in the wiring harness between the drivers door and the main truck body. The constant flexing over time caused the wires to fray then short out.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You gotta sit there and fiddle with shit and figure out what is triggering the short. We cant really help much more without you going in and investigating more

11. Nativeyota

Nativeyota Newbie

I’m going to mess with it tomorrow to try to figure out what’s causing the issue. I really appreciate all the help y’all have given me hopefully with this information I can make head way. Wish me luck and I will let y’all know what I find.

12. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    With lights off does the fuse still blow? If yes, it’s something else. If no, you’ve got to chase down the harness.

A bad socket could also cause a short.

13. Nativeyota

Nativeyota Newbie

So I crawled under the bed of the truck and found a few different things. First is the license plate light wire was cut and I could see where it was touching the metal frame. So I put electrical tape over the exposed wire. Second issue was that the plastic clip that holds the wire harness up was broke and the wires was rubbing against the shock and rubbed them exposing the wire. I cut the tape that was holding the wires together without cutting any of the wires taped them together. I have put a new fuse in and drove around for a lil bit and seems to be working fine. Hopefully this was the problem we will see though thanks for all the advice.

jetas and Erwin Merida like this.
  14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You should go back through and cut/crimp/heat shrink the parts that were rubbed thru if the wire is exposed. It will keep the wire from corroding and giving you issues in the future.

glad you found any potential problem before they caused bigger issues