1987 Toyota Pickup 2 WD major project

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by mikes87yota, Jul 29, 2009.

1. mikes87yota

mikes87yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 2WD SR5 "Mojave Edition"
    Hey gotta 1987 toyota pu 2 WD with a 22R engine, Im not sure what im going to do with it just kinda needing to get the front end done. i just wanted to know if anyone knew any tips on how to get the roof rail straight i got in a accident ( lets just say hit side of semi truck trailer) and its really not bad just need to know if thiers a trick or a way to straghten out the roofrail just spent 700.00 on alll new fenders, grill, bumper, raidator, brackets, lights. thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    cut the roof of another cab at the bottom of the a and b pillars and weld it on

welcome to tm! like the impala in the back!

3. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    :eek: damn dude!!!!!!!!

ouch!!! seriously.............. ouch!!! :runaway:

like previously mentioned..... chop the a and b pillars clean off the cab. might wanna do a custom convertible with removable top............ or just no top at all :waytogo:

kinda wonder if with the severity of that impact and metal distortion if it didnt warp the cab entirely......... doors may never line up correctly, stuff will be just a hair off if not more. for the work involved........ i would consider an entirely new cab off a different truck. :thinking:

too bad yer not closer........ i know someone with a CHERRY clean cab that only wants 100 bucks...... has all the glass, doors and a untouched radiator core.... :doah:

4. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    hey sd, is it a 4x4 cab?

5. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    i..................... think it is. actually, i know it is. its a grey one with a sunroof on it.

6. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    cab swap.

whole lot less work then trying to straighten it out. and it will never look straight unless your some kinda body genius.

a cab swap is bolt on perfect.

with your bumper looking like that (did ya pull it out?) id be worried that the frame was tweaked up front too.

you could get a stripped cab from pull-a-part (off steele st. in tacoma) for around $200.

best of luck to ya.

7. 1radtoy

1radtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 SR5 Turbo
    TOTALLED.....Why bother? Will be easier to swap a new cab and parts are easy to find and relatively cheap

8. mikes87yota

mikes87yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 2WD SR5 "Mojave Edition"
    alright but im really not trying to do a cab swap that way beyond my body work expierence lol i was wonderin if getting a new door and bending the roof piliar straight woulld work

9. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    A cab swap is just changing parts.It's a lot easier then body work.
    Straighting it all is ALOT of body work man, And its not going to look like it did.

Not trying to discourage you.

10. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    ill suggest this that........ if you cant do a straight up cab swap, then yer really not gonna get very far with trying to mold the cab back into place........ its not as easy as "bending it back".

its distorted and warped metal. it didnt just bend...... it impacted and the metal streched from impact.... most people would just cut the roof completely off and weld in a new one from the bottom of the pillars up...... even that becomes tricky since its gotta line up right or you'll get really bad door sealing. even if you do line it up right, there is no garantee that the bottom half of the cab is straight enough to be within spec.

a cab swap would likely take you a bit longer.... but then again possibly not since there would be alot of work involved in making the cab straight again. i say you can strip the cab within a day.... leave it prepped for removal the next day and next day, lift it off the frame, place the new one in and start lining it up. then, possibly start putting all the interior back into the new cab.... (if not furnished already) but anyways.... thats the way i see it. it would be a weekend long deal as to where who knows how long it take to reshape the cab back to form from wher it sits now.

11. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    or if not cab swap buy a 2wd with a dead drivetrain, tobad your so far away theres a nice one here with no engine or trans with a mint body for 600 obo at a local shop

12. bustedknuckles

bustedknuckles Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 Toyota, 2000 S10 Xtreme
    I don't undrstand why your so against the cab swap. It would be way easier and look a heck of a lot better.

13. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Like everyone else said. If you dont have the skills to do a cab swap, there is now way you will be able to repair what you have there.

It's like trying to do a motor swap because your oil is dirty and you don't know how to change it.