1987 hilux xtra cab

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by adri4n, Jan 25, 2010.

1. adri4n

adri4n Newbie

hey guys, adrian here and I'm currently in townsville, Australia. I've been looking for as much information as I can about rebuilding toyota minis and finally stumbled on this site. :funnyup: No doubt I will be spending many hours reading through all the old stuff.

Here are some pics of my 1987 toyota hilux xtra cab. Just purchased and waiting for road worthy and registration. I plan to keep modding it as I go along.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But first things first, it comes with a stock 3y motor and 4 speed auto. Personally I would prefer a 5 speed but truck like this are so hard to come by in Townsville. Its in pretty good condition with not much rust at all. I have a few thoughts for the truck.

1. I'm already considering an engine swap already. Its one of the things I want to get out of the way and get a good core foundation before I get to the cosmetics. I keep hearing about the 22r or 22re but I would like to know what you guys think. At the same time I would get a 5 speed gearbox. I would like to hear more about everyones opinions as I am not very well versed in car engines.

2. Dropping the truck a 1-2 inches. Not going for a super low look but something slightly sportier.

3. Possibly flare the guards

4. get some spray lining for the tray

Obviously I have many more things planned but these are for the immediate future over the next few months. I would like to hear everyones input if possible. Cheers.

oh and on a side note. Does the window on the x-tra cab irritate anyone else? I keep looking at it and think that I wish the lower border of the windows were the same level. :shrug:

2. 79*2wd

79*2wd Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 Regular Cab pickup
    welcome to the site and nice truck!! i like the windows but thats my opinnon

3. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    welcome, sweet truck! i'm getting so jealous seeing all the right hand drive trucks... :D

the 22r(e) is a damn good motor. seems like they just keep runnin... lol

the windows bothered me for the longest time too, but finally grew on me!

4. 84excab

84excab Newbie

Truck:
    84 extra cab
    nice truck... the windows dont bother me much but the hooks on the bed do jus my opinion..cleaner with out um i think ..an i would jus go with 22r with basic upgrades..bigger carb..header..exaust

5. adri4n

adri4n Newbie

thanks for the input guys, everyone seems to like the 22r engines and it seems like the the right modifications it can pack quite a punch. just a thought, is it worth keeping the 3y engine and just do mods and switch out the auto for a 5 speed manual?

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Please do a 3/3 drop. It looks like its got hydros right now

7. adri4n

adri4n Newbie

I enquired about professional spray lining for the bed/tray and was quoted 1.2k :verdict_in:this is for the "rhino-lining" stuff so its guaranteed for life.

Just wondering if there are any other options? what do you guys do for your tray to help prevent rust yet keep it usable for carrying the occasional load?

8. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Welcome! clean truck man. The price for the line-x to me is really expense, i got quoted for like $600 at most for my trucks bed to get lined and that includes the inner truck walls. But it might be becuase im in the US...

Another way to go about it is to get the roll on style, only thing is u really have to prep the bed good so it will last. The last option is to get the aresal can style, ive used this on the floor inside the cab. Also have to prep it good so it will last. But there are some other ideas.

I have a 2/3 drop on my black turbo truck and a 3/3 on my red truck. For you i would recommend the 2/3, it drops it enough to look low but also fuctional. If anything get air shocks for the rear and u can sorta raise/lower the rear that way..

Hope this helps!

PS - I want the steering wheel. :D

9. adri4n

adri4n Newbie

thanks for the input, I will have to think about the spray lining as it is quite a lot of cash, but thats the way it is in australia, high prices for any service rendered. I suppose it all boils down to how long i plan to keep the truck,

Yeah i was thinking that 3" might be slightly too low. There are also quite strict rules regarding modifications in the state I am in so I'll have to check with the transport department before I can start any modifications. I'm still very new to the scene so I appreciate all input, even if it seems really basic. Cheers

10. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    good looking truck. and welcome! like frinzo said i love that steering wheel!

11. adri4n

adri4n Newbie

thanks guys, the steering wheel makes parking slightly tiresome but i guess i just need to hit the gym more... I also hate the local laws on modifications. I just got told (warned) that because of the 18 inch rims the tyres i have are not load rated for the truck. My choices are to go down to 15inch rims at the max or 14" to save on the cost of tyres.

Previous owner put them on and I was fully aware of the rule but I think i should now think about towing the line to avoid trouble and for insurance. Anyone have any pics of their trucks running 15" or less? would like to see how they look or match up. cheers.

12. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    future reference boys, line-x is worth the money. Dont use any other brand YOU WILL REGRET wasting your money. Line-x charges good money because they are the only company who does it right, lifetime warranty, and color matched to your truck.. how much are trucks in australia ? just wondering

13. adri4n

adri4n Newbie

yeah I'm going for the rhino-spray thingamajig today, costs are much higher but i feel for the lifetime warranty it'll be worth it. Just going for a flat black so it wont be a problem if I decide to change the colour of the truck. Second hand prices in Australia are way more expensive overall compared to the US. I see lots of people getting cheap trucks for less than AUD 700 which still run and that would be virtually impossible over here, Probably looking at about AUD 2000 minimum for a decent truck that isnt rusted out and still servicable. second hand prices are way more expensive than in the US.