1987 2wd standard cab 22r gets a life

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by MTB68TOY, Jul 19, 2014.

1. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    93-2wd 2.5/3drop, 87-4wd22RTE, 06GTOls2, 08FJCruiserTT(Daily)
    Ok guys its been around two years since I've shown my face here. I still have my 22rte 4wd project but it has sat for a while along with the 93 2wd 5.3l swap truck I have in a million pieces.
    Unfortunately some personal issues along with health problems had me sidelined from working on these trucks.
    But I've been back to work for a bit now and although I love my 08 FJ Cruiser.
    The 16 year old in me still needs a minitruck!

Once again cruising Craigslist gets me into more trouble

So for $700 I picked up an 87 22re standard cab truck

It has 75k on the odo and was rearended about 11 years ago. The last owner said he got it from a woman who's son was the "owner" when it was hit
    The last guy found a decent shape Japanese style bed for it and just loose bolted it on and stored the truck away

The truck has been of course modified like most minis... including it being dropped to the bump stops... literally just sitting on bump stops the front torsion bars even removed and the rear axle riding on the frame bump stops
    It was apparently a efi trck but now has a Jasper rebuilt motor in it with a carb that was installed at 65k miles... meaning it has about 7k on it! He gave me the copy of the bill from the engine job the woman gave him, $3000 for a new Jasper motor installed...

My 93 build has been moved to the back back burner so I'm going to steal some of the parts from it that I have collected and get this thing off the ground.
    I have a set of new 2/3" drop leaf springs and a pair of 2" drop spindles. I also have new torsion bars and it will get a set of 12" wildwood rotors and 4wd calipers up front.
    I also have a 8.75 ford explorer rear axle with posi and disc brakes that has been budget narrowed to 56.5" wide... stock is 57"
    The early 90's ford bronco had a rear axle with an offset differential. if you get an extra axle for the shorter side and then modify the long side to fit it. you get the dif centered and a 56.5 wide axle with posi disc and the same bolt pattern as a yota... not to mention it can handle about 750hp for a v8 swap later.

so the truck sat and the mice used the passenger side floor for a season or two
    minimal surface rust after cleaning up their mess.
    the gas tank has the nozzle boot cut. the back window is out
    the fuel lines are not hooked up on the motor, the doors have no panels or rubber around the glass, they also have the handles shaved but not the key lock hole.
    the dash and under the hood were painted some ugly electric blue... the dash is also covered in blue tweed.

first plan is to get it started and go from there, I need to look into efi to carb conversions to get the fuel pump setup...
    then get it off the ground to a drive able height. throw in some seats, get the bed fixed etc

anyway I attached the pics from the craigslist ad.

I'll use it on fair weather days for my 120 mile daily commute

Anyone know where to get the door glass "run" it is the channel of rubber the glass edge rides in... can't find any for a 84-88

Attached Files:

2. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Welcome back. Looks like a great starting point for the price. I look forward to seeing the big break upgrade. I will check my local pick n pull for the seals you need.

3. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    Welcome welcome!! 1st off totally mad jello on the condition of your bed!! 2nd I use this site to find anything and everything original for my 86! Car-Part.com This site is AMAZING!!! :waytogo:

4. xavierparrish

xavierparrish Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota pickup
    wow! such a steal!!!!!!