1986 Toyota pickup, 1UZ swap.

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Jake Breyck, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup
    Hey everyone I just found this forum today, So ill start things out with a build thread for my truck....

Its a 1986 Toyota pickup base model with some rust. how i ended up with it, the owner before me was telling me about how it blew the headgasket and after a period of time driving with the blown headgasket he had to fix it and had it all apart attempting to do it him self. I went on telling him about how driving around with a blown headgaset will ruin the barings and thinking about how ide swap a motor in it if i had it, he then mentions he might just sell it then, so i asked "well how much" he said $400 wile i was thinking $1500 or somthing, so i said sold, and went and picked it up before he changed his mind.

Heres the truck when i got it, 22r all torn apart but for the most part fairly clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting the old lump out, and in with the mockup motor to make the mounts and see how the V8 fits..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    check out the oil in the pan that came out of it.

[​IMG]

Im not sure if i have good pics of the mounts, but all i did was make new motor side mounts and, cut the mount stands off the frame and move them back with a little bit of a diffrent angle, I used the stock rubber mounts sections.

Getting the new motor in, I picked up a 1996 Lexus SC400 motor for it. 1 year before they went to the VVT-i motors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess its not clear in the pics, but im useing the stock trucks W55 transmission, I sell adaptor kits to convert the UZ series engines to manaual with either the W series or R series transmissions.

Heres a pics of the kits.

Steel flywheel kit
    [​IMG]

Aluminum flywheel kit
    [​IMG]

And heres a little cell phone camera video of the first start, i used cold start spray as i didnt have the fuel system setup but wanted to verify the eletronics where all working.
    http://www.quantum-auto.com/temp/trckfirststart.3g2

Enjoy.

2. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    77 sr5 shortbed, 81 shortbed, 90 4x4
    very nice thats going to be one fast truck

3. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I have a feeling you know a guy with a red SC400 with a 5spd adaptor.... a guy named Matt? :D

Lol, nice truck btw

4. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    Sweet!

How much?!? You are probably going to have some people ask, since we have a few people doing or thinking about a UZ swap.

5. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup
    Im not sure of the rules on this forum on advertizing, but i guess untill im told otherwise. http://www.quantum-auto.com/

The swap is rather easy, and for the power not at all expensive, I also think the 1uz gets better gas mileage then the 22r so its not even a downer there.

if you have the truck you should be able to get the 1uz in and running, with my manual kit for less then $2500 with all the best stuff I really down think i have more then about 2k in it right now and i didnt exacly skimp on the engine, i payed about 800 for my motor, where ive seen motors for $200, i also am doing slightly diffrent stuff like i want the stock sc air box, all the trim intact, cruse control, ps, ac, all things that add to the price. The only real issue is i havent finished the AC becouse the ac compessor is hitting the steering box. I havent worked out exacly what i want to do about it yet, ill probably move the compressor, but i was thinking about converting to a manual steering rack that has been presenting its own problems.

I havent expored the forum too much yet but anyone that needs help getting a 1uz into well anything can hit me up for info. Ive done about 15 swaps so far, I may be doing a new first for me soon, a 1uz into an IS300 witch im excited about.

and yes matt is a very good friend of mine and also my bussnes partaner with me on quantum.

matts car pokeing out in the pic.
    [​IMG]

6. knucklehead

knucklehead Enthusiast

Are you using the auto UZ bellhousing, and if so what are you using for the clutch fork and throwout bearing?

7. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    haha THERE's MATT's CAR!!!!!

lol, yeah me and Matt chat over on FB and Toyota Nation. Nice to see the truck get some progress :D

8. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Nam you got fb. Look me up man.

9. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    $1,150 1uz trans conversion = WIN!

Im just curious, because you (guys) would know...

But will a W58 last long behind a UZ? :confused:

10. GrantH

GrantH Addict

what kind of room is in the engine bay once in and such WITHOUT the plastic fascia?

11. TheLoLux

TheLoLux Toyotaholic

Truck:
    70 LoLux 92 CYN YOTA 84ish 4runner
    how much power dose the motor put out

12. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    depends on the year of the motor, but the oldest and least powerful were 256hp, 260 ft. lb torque.

13. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    that looks sexy in there!!

14. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Im liking this. Thanks man for the heads up. :waytogo:

15. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    hey do you think you can get a pic of the motor mounts that you did? Thanks

16. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    The W58 is pretty weak compared to the R154...

Weak58 and Robust154.

very similar they both are, one is aluminum, one has iron.

Matt told me he really can't "abuse" the W58

17. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    I figured so. I blew up one behind a 22R, but it was hi mileage and drove it 2K miles with no oil in it. :lol:

18. RedPhoenix

RedPhoenix Newbie

You would be surprised how much abuse the W58 has taken. Jake has beat the living **** out of the W58 in his Supra (such as we went drifting a few nights ago). I beat mine, we have a few locals that beat theres. The weak W58's are the ones with the aluminum sandwich plate, the stronger ones are the steel center. All of ours are the steel center.

I have no doubt that the W58 could of been a stock tranny for the 1uzfe... I told you I just wont trust it when I turbo my SC400, trying to get 500whp... lol

-Matt

19. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup
    Im not sure what you mean buy plasic fascia, but the whole motor fits aside from the ac compressor, and it only barly hits the steering box, there is not a clearance problem, It is a SOB getting the motor in tho.

the internet has been really hard on the W58 more on this....

when i got the motor in my supra, all stock but with the manual, i did 217hp and 233tq to the wheels, I rebuilt it with all the main parts stock, pistons rods ect, and got 233hp and 249tq, Im now running an eletromotive and my butt dyno is telling me i have a little less then 300hp, ill conferm those readings soon.

This is been fairly accurate from my experance, they go up to just abpot 300 for the later motors.

Its going to be diffacult but ill try. but the mounts are super easy to do. there are 3 parts to the motor mounts. the upper motor side mount, the middle rubber, and the mount stand that is part of the frame or on cars the subframe.

I made basic upper mounts, then useing my dummy motor to mock up i bolted my stock truck mount rubber mounts on to the motor, i then cut the mounts off the motor and worked them in beteweent the rubber mount and the frame, got the angle worked out trimmed them up a bit so they fit and welded the stands back the frame, It took all of about 2 hours go get done.

the upper moutns i can duplicate if anyone would like. but youll have to still move the mount stands on your own but i think i could put togather a detailed wright up, but even with a wright up, its a play it by ear thing. youll have to determine for your self exact what to cut off the mounts, and where to weld them back on...

I can not for the life of me hurt a W58, the whole weak58 is total BS, like made said i beat the crap out of mine, I think the whole Internet mentality towards the W58 started like this... rarely are Non turbo supras modified greatly, so they have not on a large scale been tested to high power, wile they came on the less powerful model on top of that. but less powerful by what? the W58 and R154 are only rated by asin differently by 30ft/lbs That is not a lot, so by that logic if a W58 breaks at 200hp, a R154 will break at 230, but we know they don't usually.

on top of this. I think people like to talk **** about stuff. it makes them feel better or something, 'relatively I'm better if someone or something else is worse tight' So its not a shock to hear someone say something sucks with out much real data, but it is rare to hear someone saying something is great that didn't test it out. this goes for anything. products in stores, restraints, movies ect. So very few people put W58s though there paces yet a lot of people sa y they suck, most of them are just rehashing what someone else said with out any personal knowledge, so if a W58 breaks "ah what a pos it broke" R154 breaks "awe man wow you broke one of those. no way" all transmissions break, but people decide to chauk it up to what ever they feel like.

aside from the human physiology side of it, the R154 has a Lemon like flaw, it has a weak thrust baring housing. the housing allows the thrust baring to move allowing torque loads to destroy and shatter the baring, this seems to happen a lot with wheel hop, or just beating on even a stock car.

You know how something is only as good as the weakest link, well if that's true the weakest link on the W58 is a ton stronger then the weakest link on a R154, Luckily marlin crawler makes a reinforced thrust washer housing so you can fix the problem. but if the R154 was so much better then the W58 they wouldn't have to.

So how about Wonderful58 and Retarded154 ??? it works so it must be right ? right?

its not the W58s falt it had no oil. :p

Despite my rant, I do kits for the R154 as well but i would suggtest anyone also visit http://www.marlincrawler.com/ before running it.

There is also the Solstice, Sky Version of the R154 that is two decades of devolpment better then the supra version. they seem to cost about the same as well, so thats a way to go.

20. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    If you said so earlier! Lol definitely CLEARS UP ALOT of things.

MythBustin' Matt :waytogo: