1986 reg/long in Vegas

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Ghostwhite, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    Working on a build in Las Vegas.

Plans include static lowered for now and bagging as my resources improve. Don't have a welder or welding skills but a friend is supposed to be moving out here from miami and can weld my junk up as needed. I already have an idea of how I want it done so we will see. I emailed a few folks for quotes on fab work so thats another viable option.

Little bit of copy paste from my intro

I just picked up a 1986 Toyota 2wd Longbed with the 22r outta Utah for use in Las Vegas. Plans are to get it running tip top and pass smog then move on to a little suspension work.

I'm generally gonna use it as a run around truck and if the AC can be saved I will end up using it as a DD during the hot summer days when I don't wanna commute on a motorcycle. It will also be my backup DD for the wife if I happen to break the 96 cherokee she drives, doing a little bit of wheeling.Here is a photo of the truck when I rode bike up to Utah yesterday to pick it up, it was 20* out when I got to it so the warm ride home was great.
    [​IMG]

I have some 16x8 rims on my 96 cherokee that I may slap on here. I want some 15x8s for the jeep as 33s and 35s are cheaper in 15s. Then I can slap the 16s on the toyota with some 195/50s

Here is the jeep

[​IMG]

The truck came with a shell but I couldn't fit it with the bike. I have the opportunity to go get it but idk if I will keep it mounted or not. It fits the truck VERY well but idk if I want to take the hassle to store it when I need it off for hauling a bike or something.

Lemme know what your think, original picture from the for sale ad.

[​IMG]

Received so far
    Belltech 2" spindles
    DJM 3" lower arms
    Belltech 3" blocks (came with spindles)
    Felpro master gasket kit (have some leaks, may pull the motor on a weekend and freshen up the seals)

Still waiting on the Belltech 3" leaf springs I ordered as well but the amazon vendor emailed me saying they ran out of the item I bought but they could have them dropshipped from belltech. They said they most likely couldn't give me any tracking info until after I receive the springs. I told them to go ahead have the shipped IMMEDIATELY but they gave me a refund so we will see. I will call them tomorrow and get a definite answer.

I plan to install the suspension stuff I have already if I don't work this weekend so we will see. I am hoping my joints and rod ends are still in decent shape so I won't have to replace them immediately.

Been fighting vacuum issues so I ordered an 86 FSM to help get that sorted, most of the info online shows 85 info which is way different than what is on my truck. Replaced the AAP today and that seemed to help but I don't trust how things are routed right now.

2. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    Heres some darkness lame stock pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my other wheels

[​IMG] ^(for sale maybe)^

[​IMG]

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Fun 4th gen project. I'm starting one up too. Looks good so far. Throw those mustang dubs on the yota already! :D

4. Byronics

Byronics Veteran

Truck:
    89' Single cab
    look like u got good project goin. I think the wheels from the jeep are gonna look good on there.

5. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
  6. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    85 regular cab longbed 22R
    Sounds like a good project there. Tip: If you want a little more drop, do a balljoint flip while you're doing the LCAs.

As far as the leaf springs, make sure they have the correct part number for your year. Had a major issue with this on my 85 reg longbed. A lot of people selling the 5978 which is for 89 and up. You'll need the 5976.

If you need a supplier, try MVP Motorsports. I believe the guys name was John, he works with their amazon department. He contacted belltech directly and got them shipped quick. Belltech wasn't going to sell them at the time cause the bushings were different colors. I didn't care. They came with the energy suspension bushings. Course belltech has a habit of getting these backwards, but it they are the energy suspension ones, they are easy to swap.

The only parts you have that I haven't put on my truck are the blocks. I finally got all the front parts on so it's sitting just how I want it. Got to measure for blocks and I'm ordering a custom set from beefed taco aka streetaco.

Look forward to seeing pics and progress. Been trying to upload a pic of my front with LCA/spindle/BJ flip, but uploading isn't cooperating.

If you can swing the cost, I'd do your joints and rod ends while you have it all apart. Save you from doing it twice like me. Didn't have money for lowering parts, but front end was shot so I rebuilt the whole thing. Then a year and a half later took it apart again to put on lowering parts.

7. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    I am gonna do the flip with everything apart.

I made sure I ordered the 5976 springs, MVP was the next cheapest amazon vendor so I will definitely give them a call if the current vendor has further issues. I look forward to seeing some pics of your setup especially with the equipment you have. I have been looking at beefed for some notches already but don't want to do any other blocks. I don't think I will be able to use both the rear springs and block without a notch but if I do a notch I might as well do a notch enough for bags and do the bags and a wishbone right away, as bagged is my end goal.

I have all the pieces picked out for steering but my steering feels good so I would be willing to believe some pieces have been replaced. I will check everything out when I tear into it, luckily this isn't my DD so I can leave it apart long enough to get new pieces in. I am already doing things twice but that's ok.

For the cost of a shop doing my links and bag mounts I might just pick up a welder and wait till either my buddy gets here from Miami or make some friends local who can weld everything up. I want to do a wishbone three link similar to ghettoyde's setup but with the single end on the frame and dual end on the axle with minimal bed cutting, I haul my bikes often and might do something like fill in the the wishbone V to ramp across the gap with the front tire.

I like the suggestions though and thank you for chiming in!

8. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    I should have the wheels off of it this weekend to measure for my new wheels and fix some front inner fender well rub issues. I'll get out the good camera, since I wont be all greasy and take some pics.

Yea, springs and blocks will require a notch. I need to order the notches also, figure I'll just do the weld in for the cnotch since I'll be cutting and welding the cross members too.

9. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    [​IMG]

My 85 with DJM LCA, belltech spindle and ball joint flip.

14" rims with 185/70 tires.

10. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    Well I got my spindles and arms on, balljoints flipped up front and the blocks in the rear. It took me about 5 hours with a few trips to the store to get hardware. Tires up front rub bad if you turn more than a few degrees so I gotta either crank it up quite a bit or hurry up with my rim swap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't touch the torsions at all and I eyeballed the front alignment so that needs to be taken care of as well. I'll get daylight show tomorrow.

11. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    Yea, I've got a pretty good rub going. Weather is nice today, so going to see what I can do about it. Also going to pull my wheels, and measure for my new ones.

12. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    Looking good already

13. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
  14. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    yep, that's about what mine looks like. I know people on here have "rolled" the fenders in. I took the plastic inner fender off and it looks like you could pinch the lip up flat against the fender. Going to search on here to see about tips on doing this without bending up the fender.

15. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    I've been thinking of taking the plastic out and I wouldn't rub near as bad. I think tomorrow I am going to try and pickup some 15x8s and 195/50 tires that will go on the jeep eventually. The tires on the jeep aren't as bad as I would like them to be so I am going to leave those alone and just get the 15s I would have gotten for it. They will be the same style as what is on their.

Went to the JY today to try and find some Crown Vic wheels but everything I found was missing center caps and didn't look right, with lots of rash. The photos on here make the centers of the crown vics look more flat where all of these were highly convex.

I wouldn't mind doing a fender roll, I can get the inner seam flat but can't shape it for flare. I have chrome trim around the edge of the wheel wheels.

Make sure to heat up the paint some or it will chip, on my jeep I did a cut and fold which makes the radius a lot easier.

This photo from cherokeeforum gives you an idea, just do this to the inner lip inside the fenderwell.
    [​IMG]

16. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    Yea thats how the crown vics are. I keep thinking of snatching a set from the junkyard, getting them fixed at a shop that has always done me well, and then drop em off to my boys powder coating shop.

17. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    I resurrected an old post on here about fender rolling. Yea I don't want it flared just flattened.

Not worried about paint. It's just rattle canned.

Going to do some body hammer searching and see what I find.

Can't wait to get my steel wheels done and on. Did some measuring for them today.

18. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    Just go slow and it won't be bad, if you can get a hammer and dolly you'll be set, when I did my jeep I went after it with a 4lb mini sledge and it turned out good for a DD. Using proper tools should do wonders.

19. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    Here's a question, anyone tell me what the distance between their tucked tires and the fender is without rubbing. I know there are some people on here that are seriously tucked. So just want the measurement you have for the distance between your tire and the fender where you don't rub.

20. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Is this with just the 3" blocks in the rear? Or is it with the 3" blocks and the Beltech springs?

And does your truck still have the rear bump stops?

Thanks.