1985 long bed

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by doormat, Oct 7, 2013.

1. doormat

doormat Newbie

I think every true car guy dreams about what GM and Toyota could have built in their NUMMI car plant. LOL. This is what I dream it could be.

I think Toyota would bring back its finest chassis ever:

[​IMG]

and GM would have added an LS type engine. See, in my dream GM wanted to impress Toyota and intimidate them. So to blow them out of the water, they install a 5.3L L33 which is in 2005 Silverados, also a T56 6 speed from a 2004 CTSv 6 speed.

[​IMG]

Chrysler was jealous of the partnership between GM and Toyota and they wanted a chance to show what they could do also. They install a dana 44 vari-lok differential.

[​IMG]

Hopefully I can make this dream come true

but so far all I have done is installed a new bumper

[​IMG]

and subaru WRX seats

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. jdbragg

jdbragg Enthusiast

Do you have all those parts already?

If so I will be watching this build like a hawk!

3. doormat

doormat Newbie

yes well I have the major pieces. The devil is in the details though, so my goal is to complete the swap by next spring.

The L33 has 80k miles on it got it for $800. So far, I have added a comp cams trunion upgrade, brian tooley dual valve springs, milled the heads .020, LS7 exhaust manifolds, LS6 style holly/wieland intake manifold, ls7 clutch and flywheel. Still need to reprogram the PCM and get a few other nic naks.
    I'm hoping for 300 at the wheels.

Got the dana 44 is from a 2000 Jeep for $230. Never seen or heard of a Jeep vari-lok diff being used in a motorsport application other than the numerous youtube videos I have seen of WJ jeeps tearing it up in the sand with the diff locking up nicely.

4. OneOffStroker

OneOffStroker Newbie

Truck:
    87 Xcab Longbed
    Should be a fun time. I have done a few LS swaps, so feel free to hit me up for info. Besides motor mounts, the fuel system is usually the biggest hang-up, and definetly the most expensive 'nic-nak' part of the swap.
    If you want to make or break 300hp, you need to stab a good cam in there. You did good work on the valvetrain so far, but unless you change that bumpsitick, it was all very unnecessary.

5. doormat

doormat Newbie

Thank you bro. What did you swap the LSs into?

Switching to bench race mode: I feel that given the numerous dyno graphs I have seen of L33 silverados in the ~260whp range, I am inclined to believe that my upgrades will get me into the 300 range. Some say the L33 was under-rated at 310 crank, and those dyno numbers are with an automatic transmission. With the lower drivetrain loss of the T56 and the upgrades, I'm interested to see how short of 300 it will be.

Got some jeep calipers and rotors in the mail today. Started cleaning up the calipers and couldn't get the pistons out, so I welded a stainless pipe fitting to one of the brake bleed screws and pushed it out with air--worked great:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. doormat

doormat Newbie

Installed a Nakamichi CD400 this weekend.

[​IMG]

Here are a few pics of the engine coming together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to put this engine into a lexus sc400, but I think I made a good decision to scrap that car and work on my truck since it's way more practical.

[​IMG]

7. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    I like where this is going.

8. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Keep it up. Should be fun.