1983 Toyota Pickup Project

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 83Yota, Sep 27, 2013.

1. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Hey guys i want to share what ive done with my recently obtained 1983 Toyota Pickup. I've worked on lowering it for the past few months and decided i would share it with you guys. Previous owner had it stolen and the dash torn apart to get the stereo.

Completely Stock;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feedback appreciated.

2. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Update

Sorry i haven't been on in a while, so ill start with what i did first, i cranked the torsion bars and lowered the front about 2" or 2.5". and drove it like that while i fabbed up some blocks for the back. I made 3" blocks for the back to give a leveled look to the truck. I changed the tires from 195/75r14 to 205/60r14 to lower it a bit more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i started planning on what to do to get it lower, and on a run to the grocery store, i went over an abnormally large speed bump and it decided to grab my torsion bars, and i was just about to re-key them, dang.

[​IMG]

Comparing both sides

[​IMG]
    Passenger

[​IMG]
    Driver

So I took both of them off. Rides a bit stiffer but worth it for the look. During this I flipped the overload leaf in the back to level it again and like the look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got new seats for it out of a subaru impreza outback 2.2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And removed the front grille emblem to prep for paint.

[​IMG]

Front bumber really needs to be straightened and painted, Really thinkning about getting a chrome SR5 bumber to replace it with.

I painted the grille, Flat black, and emblem, metallic silver.

[​IMG]

She's sittin pretty low what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Thinking about doing a 76ish headlight/grille conversion, i like the quad round headlights. Anyone know the possibility of that? Also i found an LED conversion for the Stop/Turn Signals/and reverse lights from CARiD.com - Car Accessories & Parts that fit in the stock socket, thinking about doing that as well.

Also the bed is painted black because i dented the bed and exposed some bare metal on accident.

3. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Also i was wondering if anyone was interested in the original bench seat, and rear bumber i have?

4. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Nice truck buddy. Sadly, I've been in Washington for so long I knew that's where you were before I saw the license plates lol. I like it, looks really good low. And I love me some long beds.

As for the light conversion, my buddy did it to his wheeler. 81ish with a 75-78 lights. I think he used the grille too. Didn't fit perfect to the body but his is so dented its cooler that way lol. He's a member here but doesn't pop up much anymore. The hilux light bucket has the inner and outer setups on a larger plate. 4 bolts takes the whole thing off the core support. Just as easy to add to yours. If I was to do it, is use the factory corner light and fab a center section for the middle area.

5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I spy an old 30s 4 door/ sedan body. What is it, and how much? I'm
    Always looking for rat rod bodies

And is that a 81ish 4wd way in the back?

6. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    The wheeler is an 83 as well, my uncles. and sadly i'm not sure what the sedan is but its my grandfathers next project so not for sale. After he finishes his '56 F-100 hes gonna start on that. and thanks for the tip on the headlight/grille conversion.

7. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Also it leaks really bad, im thinking it has to do with the cowl, any tips on how to fix this?

Also i pulled a tilt hood/reverse hood kit out of a BMW planning on putting that on eventually.

And im a big fan of your truck byker

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Thanks, its taken alot of work to make it how it is. It's all really subtle things though. Most of the changes are under the hood or in the interior. I only changed front marker lights, door mirror, added the valance extension and added the 74/75 door chrome trim. Toyota nailed it designing the first 3 gens of 2wd truck.

Back on topic, that old body looks to be a 30s ford from the little I see. Didn't scrutinize if though.

And I looked closer at your pics, I see you're missing a few parts here and there. I have most of them lol. Seems your dash is missing some/all of the middle plastic area. I may have one. I do have the square pass side dash vent x2. And one of the left vent surround panels.

I also have a set of windows, 1 piece door glass and a slider back window. I also have a few sets of the cab vents by the door handle in chrome. I like shiny stuff, so they're in my shiny box. :lol:

Let me know if you need a hand or parts, I'm in snohomish in snohomish county. 20 minutes east of Everett.

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Check your windshield gasket for cracks and gaps. They're usually dried out and junky in Washington if the glass never got changed. My 78 has a crack/gap about 1/4" wide at each lower corner. I used some black silicon RTV gasket maker to fill them. I need to do it again, I missed a spot. But it slowed from a trickle to a drop on my clutch foot driving in heavy rain.

If that isn't the issue, you'll have to get into the cowl area. The ones like mine have an access panel opposite the wiper motor. Get in there with a flashlight an inspect the edges. When it doubt goop it up. Won't see it anyways. I never had to do mine. Some day ill take both out, but mostly to paint them black again. My engine bay has never been detailed up much, just the basics and a little purple paint for accent. The interior is where I did the most as mentioned.

10. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    I think the previous owner did the RTV gasket maker around the window already, i started to peel it off and there is some bad rust, i'll post a picture tomorrow. Those chrome vents by the door handle i'd be interested in i was gonna try to find those anyways, and the center dash plastic piece too. i live about 20 minutes north of everett. it looks pretty bad and i'm trying to get a stock look on the dash. ill get a better picture of the dash too. also i was wondering if you knew where to get a center console for it, i know the 4 runner ones fit but i cant find any. thanks byker

11. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Update

Alright so i took a few shots of the rust under the window, the missing dash piece, and the missing steering wheel piece. Sorry the pictures aren't the best quality, my iPod camera sucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm planning on getting the SR5 instrument cluster with the Tachometer, and switching them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    I also really need to do the C-Notch as my frame is hitting my axle, should i go all out in preparation for bags or do a simple C-Notch into the frame?

13. standardbyker88

Truck:
    It depends if you plan to actually bag it. I don't even have a notch.

And I know where Arlington is. I'm in snohomish. Not far away.

As for the gauge cluster, if you can find a working tach cluster swap it in. I would just add some aftermarket gauges. I always liked the hot rod look anyways.

14. standardbyker88

Truck:
    As for consoles, pretty much any mini truck or compact car should work. Might have to trim the base to your trans tunnel shape (basically flat) and bolt a couple mount tabs on. Mine came from a 98 s10. I shortened it a few inches and custom built the whole front half to hold the stereo. Looking back, I should have made the stereo further forward and up a bit. But considering I made it with scraps and about zero measuring it came out damn good.

And, when I do have to put a 2nd passenger in its strong enough to be a seat. There's been a few times its even been 4 wide in the cab. Lol.

15. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    I just wanna know how you can fit 4, I can barely fit 3 before shifting is really difficult. And as for fitting a console I can pull any that I like and modify it to my liking?

Also I was wondering if you could find the chrome side vents and that center dash piece if you have one I'm interested in those.

16. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I know I have the vents. I have a few sets. It's one of my "always grab it" junkyard parts. I don't know if I have that dash piece, maybe just the others.

As for the console, its just a tub and arm rest. If people can swap seats, a console should be easy. If the shifter doesn't fit the hole, you can rebend the stick to fit. Or run a stick from a w series car trans, its shorter and chrome, but at a slight diff angle. I'm using a cut down car shifter. Going to see how I like one that's even shorter. As long as its not a console with an ebrake, it should adapt up easily.

As for the 4 wide, sometimes ya just gotta get people home from the bars. Like 3 blondes :D

17. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Forgot to tell ya, the steering wheel can be swapped with an 79-95 Toyota car or truck. Some people like the 79-83 sr5 wheel. It's a nice 3 spoke. Some people like later supra wheels, others find oddball ones less common. So look around the pull a part up in Arlington and see what you can find. And there's always aftermarket wheels too. I have a grant 3 spoke painted purple. I have lots of purple in/on my truck. Makes a good accent to orange, since they are both red based colors. One has yellow, one has blue.

18. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Cool, I've been trying to find a steering wheel, i like this one but i want something a little nicer i'll have to look around pick and pull. And i'll have to look at the sticks and consoles too. thanks for letting me know.

Also i noticed yours is a 5 speed, what transmission is that? i have the 4 speed and want to run at lower RPMs on the freeway.

19. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    I've been looking around and it looks like i can gain a little HP by changing the head to a 20R head. Anyone done this?
    Also how hard is it to convert this to a 22RE?

20. yankeetaco72

yankeetaco72 Veteran

Truck:
    82 short /97 Tacoma
    I have parts off my 82 that got stolen before I could finish it. I have the steering like yours complete and I had rust exactly what you have.. I had a buddy basically take a grinder and cut it out and welded another cowl from a donor truck. I also have the cluster with the speedo that only cost me 2 bucks!