1983 PU parts availability

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by conmcb25, Mar 24, 2016.

1. conmcb25

conmcb25 Newbie

Truck:
    4th Gen wannabe owner
    If this has been answered somewhere please feel free to just give me a link.

How available are parts for this vehicle? I am going to go look at one this weekend with on 83K miles on it, but I am kind of worried about tracking down parts for a 30 plus years vehicle.....

Thanks! 83 toyota front.jpg

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Most mechanical parts are readily available. New body panels and interior trim might be harder to come by. Junkyards and craigslist will be your best friend for these

3. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Like Jetas said, if you look on rockauto they'll have practically everything. But for panels and such you're usually SOL. There are reproductions on eBay but they're of questionable quality at best.

4. chrlsful

chrlsful Newbie

An old thread…
    but
    I'm pretty much in the same ball prk - offered an '83 LWB w/2.2L diesel. Not sure the engine prts R available (would prob pull & have machined to new tolerances, optimal performance - decide on goin turbo) and interior/body, frame restore.
    LMC have the body panels?
    The '70 bronk in my pic has EVERY thing avail so has been easy to wrk on these last 33 yrs.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Junkyard and aftermarket stuff will be your best friend. As far as the diesel thing, no one here really has em. And im not sure how many diesels are around. Best bet will probably be to swap in a 22R

6. chrlsful

chrlsful Newbie

"...swap in a 22R…"
    Nah… 1 of the reasons I'd buy the ol girl (diesel has evolved up to current 3L, wish I could afford that 1). Is already set up 4 veg. oil as well !
    Pick'n pull, recyclers, 'yards' are nonexistent 4 our area (the NE USA) concerning anything 10 yrs old (or older) goes straight to the crusher!
    8-0
    This is main reason I've not pulled the trigger on purchase @ this pt. LMC is only American trucks (it supplied 2 restores on the bronk) so no patch panels or full panel replacements.
    Ur prt of the country (SW USA) is great (Sacramento has 14 models in 1 yrd that would match this '83). Folks have been helpful here, research continues, I seem to B gettin closer to a decision. Not seen it yet. Might go look @ it this wkend.

Who has patch panels and full panels (door, rocker) that fit right? I've seen no - zero, for the beds, roof, floor. What R the typical rust spots? (I need to peek when visiting later…

Thanks again!

7. chrlsful

chrlsful Newbie

even worse - (if possible) wanna retro fit a newer 4 speed auto, turbo & may B frnt chunk/solid axel…
    8-0