1982 Tailgate Question

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by OneDummHikk, Jun 2, 2011.

1. OneDummHikk

OneDummHikk Newbie

Truck:
    1982 gas
    I have a 1982 Toyota pickup that the top of the bed has what I call a hand rail on it. It isn't flat on the outside of the bed. What I had been led to believe was that up to 1981 it had the latches on the tailgate, 1982 went to the latch in the middle of the tailgate and that in 1983 they went to the rounded bed without the hand rail type top on it. Now, I know that to be incorrect after seeing later year trucks with the same handrail type bed side on it.

I can post pics later of what my bed looks like but it looks the same as the bed in this post: http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/119479-post6.html

What I want to try to find out now is why the two different bed shapes? And, what year tailgates will fit my truck so that I can get a tailgate for it? Trying to find a tailgate for a 1982 has been futile but I don't care what year it comes off of as long as it will fit.

Is there a reference anywhere that lists this kind of stuff?

Any help is appreciated. I have been hunting a tailgate for the truck for almost 4 years now (since I got the truck).

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The beds with the "hand rail" are "Japanese"beds.

79-83 only had the japanese style bed.

3. OneDummHikk

OneDummHikk Newbie

Truck:
    1982 gas
    I have managed to thoroughly confuse myself about the tailgate on my truck. I think I am using the wrong term to describe what I am looking for. If I am calling it right, then it is confusing me about other years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0642430847&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you look at that listing and the pictures, it is supposed to be a 1987. The top of that bed has what I call the hand rail. The outside of the bed goes underneath the top of it creating a hand rail of sorts. I can post a picture of my bed but it looks basically the same except the tailgate latches. Mine is made for the single latch in the center of the tailgate.

What year model tailgates/beds have that style top of the bed? What I am trying to find out is what year truck models will the tailgate fit off of? I know that one has the two latches and if thats the style I find, I can add the latches to make it work. I just don't know what years I can hunt or even what to call it.

Can someone please help me get un-confused about this?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. andysmiley17

andysmiley17 Veteran

Truck:
    82 Diesel
    in 82 they gave the truck a mid model face lift basically. one of the things that was changed was the tailgate, it went from the 2 latches like you have pictured to a single latch in the center of the tailgate. so a tailgate off of a 79-81 will work with your bed, you just need to add the latches

5. garagedoorman

garagedoorman Addict

Truck:
    86 RN63 /87 RN50 /85 SR5 /80 4x4 /86 RN55
    I understood the jap bed went till 88. The american bed available prior to 88 was for SR5 trucks. Then 89 forward has keeped the fleetside bed to current. I have an 87 truck with jap and a 84 SR5 with american fleet side.

6. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Bed

I have an 87 with a japanese style bed. They go up to 88. They are very common on Guam probably because we are close to japan. California style beds are rare here. I found a tailgate from an earlier model that I know for sure was the 84-88 type. It has the latches but not the hooks like your first pic. My bed did not have the spring loaded hooks that the latches grab onto so i had to cut the upper corners of my bed and flatten them out and put in a latch hook. I did not have to modify the tailgate at all.It was pretty simple and turned out nice.

7. Cajun83 Sr5 4x4

Cajun83 Sr5 4x4 Newbie

Truck:
    1983 Sr5 4x4
    Let shine some more info. During production of the '79-'83 pickup there was only one bed style with 2 different style tailgates. The double handle style (which was the most common style) and the single handle style. In '82-'83 for the double handle tailgate the TOYOTA lettering became bigger like in the pic. The single handle style was introduced in '81 went on till '83.
    So having that said any double handle tailgate running from '79-'83 will fit your bed.

Here's a good reference to look at. Toyota Paint Codes and Galleries, Brochure and Commercial Archives

8. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Tailgate

Your first pic is a 79-83 model tailgate with the hooks that face down under the lip. The second pic is an 84-88 model but I believe the latches stoped in 85. This is what I have. I'm not sure if it will fit on an 82 bed but here are the dimensions on mine 52 3/4 long and 17 3/4 high. Good luck.