1982 SR5 Affordable Fuel Injection install

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Hillbilly1, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Just ordered an Affordable Fuel Injection conversion and a LCE header. How good is this conversion? Not looking for massive power gains, just reliability. Truck has 125,000 on it, original owner was an old man that bought it new, had 60,000 garage kept miles on it when he passed, second owner also was an old man, but it was not garage kept. Northern termites ( even though it’s a southern truck) are eating up the bed. Truck is bone stock, no lift or big tires.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

It came in today, looks like they tuned a throttle body off a V8! The thing is huge!

Attached Files:

Erwin Merida likes this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Almost looks like a GM TBI

4. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Toyotashack likes this.
  5. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Reading through the instructions, it’s a tbi for a 90 Chevy 5.7 V8. Doesn’t look like too hard of an install. Ripping out all the old vacuum lines from the carb, sheesh! Never seen so many lines and vacuum solenoids! It’s going to take longer ripping out that, than installing the tbi!

6. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Got started on it, there is a few hiccups, the instructions are generic, not vehicle specific. Only one of the four hold down bolts is the correct length. If you don’t use the factory carb spacer, the tb will not clear the egr bolt. Also it will mount in one direction only, so the throttle cam hits the valve cover. The good thing is, that part of the throttle cam assembly can be cut off.

Attached Files:

jetas likes this.
  7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Whats all involved in the wiring and do you have a link to where you got this

8. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

9. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

10. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Not real happy with LCE, ordered the header at the same time as I ordered the Fuel injection from Affordable, Affordable said 4-6 week lead time, ended up being two weeks. I figured the header would get here before the fuel injection, but that’s not the case. LCE does not return emails, and does not answer their phones, or even return calls. Not a very good way to run a business. I know it’s probably a supply issue, but not replying with any excuse is a no go with me.

11. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

LCE finally returned my call, said it would be another four or more weeks for the header. They said they had a run on them, and had sold 50 in the past couple of weeks.

12. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Will need to mill a notch out of the adapter plate, it overlaps one of the egr intake bolt holes.

Attached Files:

Toyotashack likes this.
  13. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Should have changed this thread over to the build section, but too late, unless one of the mod’s want to move it.
    Got the cables ran today, instructions said ALL of the connectors were keyed different and would not work with any others……not true. I was banging my head about how are they controlling the coil, there was no more ports on the ignition module. Turns out, the coil connector, and the coolant sensor (which I hadn’t installed yet) have the exact same connectors. The oxygen sensor wiring looks like it may be short, but until I get the header, I will not know. Now to figure out the throttle cable. The new connection will be 90 degrees from the old, so some creative bracket relocation.

14. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Finally got everything put together, header is on, but the O2 sensor is down near the cat now, so the fuel injection wiring for it is about 3’ too short. Had to splice in longer wires. Since the timing mark tab was broke off sometime in the past, I had to guess where zero was, I was off by about 5-10 degrees. Had to pull the distributor to get enough range. There is three fuel return lines, and since I kept the mechanical pump as a sump pump to the electric, I tried one of the other two. Hose blew off, so I moved it to the other, and it burst underneath the truck, so looks like I will be running a new one. Overall though, the truck is running much better, I just have to figure out adapting the Toyota throttle cable to the GM throttle body.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  15. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Decided to delete the mechanical fuel pump, I think the system is building too much pressure, hence the return line blowouts. Now using just the electric pump, no more blowouts on the return line. Got a vacuum leak somewhere, idle is at 2k. There may be a port on the back of the throttle body I missed plugging, or a hidden port on the intake manifold. Figured out the throttle cable, I’m using one off a 90 S10 Blazer, along with the air cleaner.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  16. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Thumbs down on Affordable Fuel Injection, too many issues for the price. Went to hook up my scan tool, found out the connector is a OBD1, which is almost worthless, I can’t access the any of the sensors, just read codes IF I had a ODB1 scanner. Since it’s not throwing any codes, that is worthless. Cannot find any vacuum leaks, but it is idling at 2k. Got to be an issue with the adapter they supplied. I will have to tear the throttle body back down, and check the plane. Truck runs smooth, and has instant throttle response, so if I can get the idle straightened out. It should work well after all the things I fixed with the kit.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  17. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Almost sounds like you're forgetting a seal somewhere and it's sucking in extra air..

18. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Uneven matting surface maybe?

19. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

That’s what I’m thinking. The adapter is about an inch and a half thick milled aluminum. I used a thin layer of form a gasket to hold the paper gasket in place when putting it together. Several low places where I couldn’t remove the form a gasket completely. If it quits raining, I will take it all the way down to the intake, and check the plane on the bottom. I may go ahead and pull the intake and inspect it too.

20. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Found the problem, they made the bottom adapter plate too wide, I was checking the plane and fit, and noticed it overlapped the flange on the intake, that was slightly higher. Had to cut about a half inch off the adapter to clear. Glad I found it before I pulled the intake! Now if the rain stops again, I will get it back together to see if that fixed it.

Attached Files:

MrDinkleman and Erwin Merida like this.