1980 Toyota 4x4 pickup

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Rtoyman, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Rtoyman

Rtoyman Newbie

Truck:
    1980 Toyota 4x4
    Looking for some advice! I just purchased a 1980 Toyota pickup and was thinking of installing either a Skyjacker 7 inch or 5 inch suspension lift kit. I know there is a lot more work / money (drive train lengthened, J Arm flip or Hi steer) when installing the 7 inch. This is strictly going to be a "Around the Town" truck and I will not be doing off road driving. I was wondering if the extra money is worth the extra 2 inches. Does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference from the 5" to 7". I'm afraid I will be a little disappointed with the 5 inch.

2. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    what kind of tires will you be running? Depending on what size tires you want to run will help you decide.

3. Rtoyman

Rtoyman Newbie

Truck:
    1980 Toyota 4x4
    I was thinking of running 36's or 37's. I just dropped off the J Arm to have the pivot ball flipped at a machine shop. If all goes well then i will be installing the 7 inch lift kit.

4. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    yea i would go with the 7 inch lift as well always gives you the options to run bigger tires if you like. I like the way 7 inch lift looks on our trucks. Im about to put a 6 inch lift on my silverado.

5. Rtoyman

Rtoyman Newbie

Truck:
    1980 Toyota 4x4
    OK. I Just returned from the Machine shop and they could not get the Pivot ball removed from the J Arm. I live in upstate NY. Does anyone know who I can contact to get this removed and flipped? I believe they had a 50 ton press and couldn't get it to budge. I also looked at it and I'm not sure they removed enough of the mushroom. I need this pivot ball flipped in order to install the 7 inch lift. Unless I go to Hi-Steer which is not in the budget.