1978 Pickup RestoMod - 3rz swap??

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by AirplaneMode, Feb 10, 2018.

1. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

Hey guys decided to start a build thread so I had a place to put all these pictures that I keep taking. I recently picked up a '78 pickup that needs a lot of work. I was able to drive it home, but I now realize how dangerous that was haha

The previous owner chopped the front springs, realized it was too low, so he shoved wooden blocks under the springs. Front shocks were gone and the nuts securing the ball joints were barely finger tight.

My plan is to totally go through the truck - interior, exterior, and motor/transmission. I'm planning on swapping in a 3rz and A340e from a 2wd automatic 4runner. I haven't found this swap in a pre-79 pickup but based on my research/measurements I think it will go smooth. I have my eye on two donor cars, hoping to start the swap in a few weeks.

Attached Files:

2. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

Dump bed!

Attached Files:

3. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

Kyb shocks all around. Mighty max springs for the front. New inner/outer tie rod ends, idler arm, and pitman arm.

Attached Files:

4. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

Huge pain in the ass, but very rewarding

Attached Files:

5. carinaguy

carinaguy Member

Truck:
    1976 Long bed

6. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

I believe the 2wd models with the 3rz have a rear sump oil pan, but I'll have to double check, worst case I'll have to modify the oil pan. My main concerns are the steering center link and the rear cross member behind the transmission.

I don't expect it to be a perfect fit, but I think it can be done with minor modifications

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    How much of a difference did the idler and pitman arm make? Those are the only 2 parts i havent changed out.

I dont think a rear sump pan will work. I had to swap the mid-sump pan from my 20R on to the 22R. It was a rear sump and landed right on the drag link.

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    The pitman and idler of my truck had play in the moving joint, so swapping them made a pretty noticeable difference. I did the pitman a week or two later on my truck because I needed a larger puller to get it off.

I didn't even know the 2wd 4runner came with the 3rz. Though it was like the Tacoma where 2rz for 2wd and 3rz for 4wd.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I honestly dont know what the 4runners had in em but im sure the earlier tacomas had the 2RZ then later on got the 3RZ

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    my inlaws have 2 tacomas - a 98 4wd w/3rz and an 03 2wd w/2rz.

11. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

Hey guys sorry for the delay. The rust on the truck was really bothering me so I spent a few days removing as much as I could and spraying some primer. It turned out pretty well. Not perfect and I still have some rust around the rear window and windshield frames, but I'll take care of that when I actually spray color.

Steering and suspension are drastically improved after all the new parts, but still not quite right, and my test drive was cut short..... Damn thing died on me!

I got about half a mile from my house and it started acting like it was running out of gas. Walked back, got a gas can, and put almost 2 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank and still nothing. Fuel gauge does not work and I'm really not sure if fuel was even low.. I was heading to the gas station to put fuel in it for the first time since I've owned it.

The engine will run with starting fluid but dies as soon as you stop spraying so I'm hoping it's as simple as a fuel filter. It has an aftermarket pump, I can hear it running. It looks like the previous owner added some sort of fuel pressure gauge, it doesn't register anything but I never looked at it while it was running so I dunno, but it's inline between the fuel line and carb. I also found some sort of manual choke added by a previous owner. There's a cable attached to a bracket near the carb that leads back to a pull knob on the dash. Pics are below

The truck was running rough before. Previous owner said it was due to a vacuum leak in the brake booster. That was to be my next purchase, I'm unsure if this is related to the current issue. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Bocks likes this.
  12. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    killer work. I would love to know more about the reason for the hinged bed. I need to get mine like that to service or swap the gas tank and clean things.

Mine randomly stopped running too, even though the pump was running. For me it is either the in tank pickup has a leak, or the pickup tube does. Maybe someone serviced the pump, but did not do it right?

13. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I'd guess you sucked up some debris and clogged things up in the fuel system if it's all original tank.

Did that on my old Datsun pickup - was really low on gas and decided to basically drift a turn near my house, which sloshed around the last bit of fuel in the tank and it sucked up something into the fuel pump and clogged it enough to not push fuel through despite it still working.

I'm curious about the hinged bed too...

14. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

You may be right on the money Perkolator... I swapped out the fuel filter this morning with a clear one and I can tell it's still bone dry in there. The pump is still humming and vibrating so I bet something is blocking the flow. Any quik-fix suggestions?

I don't have too many details about the hinged bed. It was done by a previous owner, probably the same guy who added the aftermarket fuel pump. It is certainly a nice feature. The bed is only attached by the two hinge pins in the rear and a quick release latch near the cab. I'd like to find a simple strut that can hold the bed up by itself, in the pic I have the tailgate propped against a dirt bike stand.

15. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    When it happened on the Datsun I just swapped out the fuel pump since it was located on the side of the chassis and easy access. I suppose it might be possible to remove the old unit and blow it out with air compressor or get some sort of dental pick in there to remove the chunker.

if debris is actually the culprit here, you may consider having your tank cleaned out. i would have, but ended up selling the truck 6months later to get my 4wd Toyota because I "needed" it, lol

16. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

Well I propped the bed up and took a closer look at the tank. Pics below show what I found. I'm thinking of just replacing the tank with a universal unit.

Attached Files:

Bocks likes this.
  17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Holy hell! You definitely need to get that cleaned out.

18. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    The hinged bed makes that job look easy!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  19. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    WOOOOOW. I bet all our tanks look similar inside, lol.

There are products out there made for DIY cleaning out gas tanks - a flush kit solution and a coating solution for re-sealing/lining the flaking interior. I believe Kreem is one of the brands I've seen mentioned in the motorcycle crowd.

20. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

Hey guys been busy working on this thing... I swapped out the fuel filter but still couldn't get it to run. I used a clear fuel filter and I could see it was still dry inside so I knew fuel wasn't even getting that far. I disassembled the fuel system from there all the way back and couldn't find any clogs. I took apart the pump and found it was clean inside, it even had a screen in there that was totally clean. I realized however that the pump really just pushes fuel - there's no way it was creating enough vacuum to suck fuel out of the tank. So I siphoned some gas through the lines and sure enough it fired right up.. I didn't know whether to feel like a genius or an idiot haha. I've never messed with external fuel pumps before.

So the tank is still filthy, and I'm not sure if the rust clogged something or if the fuel pump just sucked in some air as I went uphill and it couldn't recover. Either way the tank is now full and the truck is running. I'll keep an eye on the filter for now while I determine what to do with the tank. I'd like to put something like this in the factory location: http://www.jazproducts.com/store/flat-bottom-pro-street---fill-valve
    I think the 25" 16 gallon tank might fit, comes with a sending unit, and they quoted it around $250 when I called.

I got a bench cover off Amazon as a temporary seat solution, possibly the best $12 I ever spent. I also spruced up the Toyota emblem for the front grill. I used some black nail polish gel from my girlfriend that hardened under UV light. It was the perfect thing to use.

Today I took the truck out for a drive, about 20 miles and it felt pretty good. The suspension feels great and the steering is much tighter, but it still needs ball joints and an alignment. Ball joints will be arriving in a few days as well as a new brake booster.

Attached Files:

Bocks likes this.