1978 Lowering/drop leafs??

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by Collin Ramos, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Collin Ramos

Collin Ramos Member

Sup guys, new to this forum, and also new to toyota pickups. Was always a BMW guy. Built a couple e30s. But anyways, I just got a 78, and wanted to drop it 4 inches. I was gonna go with a 4 inch block, but scared of wheel hop etc. and don't really want to pull a leaf out due to occasional trash/dump hauls. So I was wondering if the lowering leaf part number 5976 on belltech works for the 78? It's compatible with 79 and up, but is 78 and 79 really that much different in the rear?? Thanks in advance for any tips!!

Ps. What shocks to go along with the 4 inch drop in the rear?? Thanks!

2. Markus Vandevender

Markus Vandevender Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    I was running a 5in drop block for the longest time, i didnt experience any wheel hop at all. these trucks dont produce enough power to really give any sort of axle wrap to be honest. At 5 inches i had issues with my axle hitting my frame though. 4in would be perfect. If you used a block you wouldnt have to change shock lengths at all because the shock mounts are on the ubolt plates. Youd have to remove your rear bumps and trim them down also.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    look for Polished T(u)RD in the build section, the dude mentioned he used drop leafs on his second gen. Cant remember the PN of the top

4. Collin Ramos

Collin Ramos Member

Thanks for the replies guys!