1977 Toyota Pickup RN23 "bluyota"

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 77bluyota, Feb 2, 2021.

1. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    1977 Toyota RN23 Shortbed
    Well I figured I would start my own project thread to document the process of my little blue yota. I bought it last year with a few extra bucks and a little luck finding it.
    [​IMG]
    The lady I got it from had recently lost her job and unfortunately had to let it go. I took it out for a test drive and handed over some cash and immediately got some gas. Drove it 30 miles home and got up to hwy speed (55ish) along the way. It had a few issues out of the gate but for the grand that I paid for it was acceptable imo.
    • Rear brakes leak fluid
    • Tail/marker lights not functional
    • Turn signal relay not working
    • Passenger door lock not functional with the key (inside works fine)
    • Lots of rust in the bed and floor pans and some rust elsewhere
    • Loose steering
    • Half assed desmog/weber 32/36 job
    • After market radio just hanging in a poorly cutout dash
    • Missing gas pedal (just the bar thing)
    • Some leaking fuel lines
    • Front driver tire leaks
    • Missing passenger mirror
    • Missing a few decals/badges
    • Gas and temp gauge not working
    • Missing steering wheel cover for horn?
    Those are just the obvious things that I saw right off.

I really liked this little truck for a few reasons. One being that the price was right for a working project. The engine seemed to be strong, started right up and didn't struggle at all on the test drive or my way home. Another being is that it has the potential to be the grandpa version of my other mini truck that I sold a few years back to get the wife a minivan(toyota of course). Granted it can't really be called a mini when its obviously a midsize.
    [​IMG]

And lastly I wanted to originally give this blue xrunner to my son when he is old enough to drive but the cards didnt pan out that way so the bluyota can be "our" project and his car in 5 years when he is driving. If he wants to spend the money to take out the 20r and put in a 22r or a small Block than he can at that point.

I have now had this little beauty for about a year.
    [​IMG]
    I am finally getting ready to start some real work on it but over the past year I have done a few things.
    • I fixed the tail lights and markers
    • Put a new battery in
    • Replaced the rubber leaking fuel lines
    • Replaced the fuel pump
    • Fixed the gas and temp gauge (broken wires)
    • cleaned up some electrical mess under the hood.
    [​IMG]

Supposedly it had the engine rebuilt recently but I have yet to confirm that.

[​IMG]

Either way I plan to get it all cleaned up and fix anything that needs it while replacing parts with new or better whenever possible.

Anywho, thanks for coming along this long journey and I'll try to update as I have more info to share! I once built a teardrop and did the same thing so I am pretty familiar with the cadence of forum thread updates.

[​IMG]

Ivey likes this.
  2. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Looks awesome! I like the patina you have going with it. The body looks in good shape as well. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

3. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Thanks! Yeah my main goal is to get it safe and reliable. I will likely end up painting it depending on how extensive we get to rust repair. That being said its going to be a while out.

Ivey likes this.
  4. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    OK, time for an update!! :)

Thanks to LCE Performance parts and ebay I got some new parts!
    [​IMG]

My carb has been performing poorly as of late so I decided to get a rebuild kit and take care of that. I also got a replacement adapter base since the one that was on the truck was all sorts of gross. Apparently the person who installed it thought you needed a tube of gasket sealer in addition to the paper gaskets that it had on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some wonderful mismatched screws make my OCD scream :)
    [​IMG]
    Not sure why there are weld pits there, some poor manufacturing I guess.
    [​IMG]
    OK old adapter plate off and time to clean everything up
    [​IMG]
    Nice new base plate and gasket on with matching bolts.
    [​IMG]
    Next plate up
    [​IMG]
    And the final paper gasket, looks so nice and clean compared to the mess that was there before.
    [​IMG]

5. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Time to take apart the carb and get it cleaned up and some new parts put in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some evidence of a rusty fuel tank, yeah that is on the likely to replace list. Also some algae in there which tells me there has been some water in the gas at times..
    [​IMG]
    Look Ma its not a ripoff!!
    [​IMG]
    Base all cleaned up and put back together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It took a bit to get it started because I forgot to set the choke tension at first so that was fun. :) Also I just wanted to say that pretty much every jet was dirty or clogged to some extent so if you are going to tackle this dont forget that. Also the little plastic screen from under the inlet needs to be cleaned. Mine was full of nasty rusty bits.

6. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Time to finish the half done desmog job that was done previously.

Removing the EGR that was left on.
    [​IMG]
    nice and clogged :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the block off plate attached.
    [​IMG]
    Some vacuum caps
    [​IMG]
    Eventually I will pull this out and just plug it to make it look nicer but that is all in due time.
    [​IMG]

7. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    I also went ahead and put a breather filter on and cut out the "t" so the PCV could run solo to the Intake. Eventually I plan on putting in an oil catch and routing the PCV through that. I dont think I want to do the delete so I can keep the fumes down still though but keep all the oil out of the intake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure what I want to tackle next (maybe the ignition system) or when but i'll post more updates as I have them. Thanks for reading the long updates :) Let me know if you all would prefer less pictures to keep the length down or more in the future.

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Pictures aren't loading so don't know what adapter plate you have. If its the 2 piece the previous owner felt the need to use gasket maker because those adapters are known to have a major leak. Make sure you spray something to check. Hate to say it but there is a good chance you will have some.

9. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Not sure why pics aren't working for you (well call it a local pc issue :)), but yes its the 2 piece. I am aware that some have failed and how to test them but the amount of gasket sealer that was on there was excessive by any standards. As of right now its nice and snug/sealed. After I get it up to temp a few times my plan was to check the seal again to see if the typical expansion and contractions made any changes. I typically hope for the best and trust new parts first, life is to short to think these things are going to fail on me out of the box anyway! :)

Pearce likes this.
  10. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Just curious: why do some conversion kits come with a two-piece adaptor and others with a one-piece adaptor? I just ordered the smog legal conversion for a 1979 Celica and the pictures on the Redline/Weber site shows a one-piece adaptor.

So, I guess my other question is: If you don't need the extra height (one possible reason?) of the two-piece, why not just buy a one-piece?

Also, Redline sells a 20R intake that is drilled for the Weber...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Pearce likes this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Never seen a one piece kit from redline for the 20r/22r. Very interesting. Let us know if you get the one pictured. Is the manifold a cannon? Also trans dapt makes a 1 piece that is spaced for anyone wanting opinions.

77bluyota likes this.
  12. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    Here's the kit I purchased with one piece adaptor:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Pickup-Corona-Celica-20R-78-80-Weber-Carburetor-Conv-kit-CA-Legal-K8747/273024159879?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648
    Note that it includes the throttle linkage replacement which makes me think the other kits need the clearance for the standard weber linkage?

This is the Redline intake that bolts a Weber directly to the 20R
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-20R...222424?hash=item3f4d15edd8:g:kJ4AAOSwSRteHfVJ
    I'd buy this intake but I need to keep my Celica smog legal. But, as you can see, there is no EGR port on the manifold.

It's interesting that on the Redline website, for the 20R kits, only the smog legal kit (8747) comes with the one-piece adaptor.

When the weber conversion kit gets here I'll let y'all know if it really is a one-piece adaptor

77bluyota and Pearce like this.
  13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    That looks legit. Base plates the same as the 2 piece. For the price the Weber intake is not worth it new anyway.

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I forgot to mention the pictures @77bluyota. Use the upload a while function on here if you're not already. You can insert the picture like you want by clicking full image from the media bar where ever you last left off or clicked the cursor last. If the 2mb limit is a problem email the image to yourself. It should compress the file.

15. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
  16. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Oh those are nice I think if I were going from scratch I would possibly consider it but since I was picking up where someone else left off I went with what was well priced and available through LCE. If the 2 piece fails (which is not unheard of) i'll try to find a one piece. i'll have to follow your build and see how that goes.

17. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    I can see the pictures in various browsers on various platforms whether I am logged in or not so not sure why its not working for you. I have been using these types of forums and (managed the servers behind some) for a while and kinda fell into a groove of ease after trying various different formats available to us. I appreciate the directions you have taken in your methods, very kind of you.

18. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Interesting, I can't see them either

19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Hopefully it'll get sorted out. I thought it could be a conflict with my browser or something to do with the bugs I've been seeing on this site lately.

20. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    Well, I had a pleasant surprise waiting for me when I returned from the store...

My Weber conversion kit arrived (3days before their ETA!).

Checked the contents (Looks like it's missin two of the countersink screws. Will need to contact Redline).

But it IS a one-piece adapter plate, as shown in the pictures from Redline's website and the ebay auction. It's a solid cast piece of aluminum and while it's usable as-is, the carburetor bores' machining looks like it deserves a little touch up.

jetas, 77bluyota and Pearce like this.