1975 Toyota Hilux Pickup EGR light turned on. How can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by OMI, Sep 24, 2013.

1. OMI

OMI Newbie

Truck:
    1983 Toyota Pickup SR5 4X4 Short Bed 22R
    I have a nice 1975 Toyota Hilux Pickup with the original 20r engine but the EGR light just turned on a couple of days ago. Has anyone encountered this warning light? How do I fix the problem? I cant find any reference to this EGR warning light online? Please help!
    [​IMG]

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    If your dont have to go through emissions you should just delete all that stuff and get rid of the light.

My truck doesn't have an EGR light so I've never had this problem..

3. OMI

OMI Newbie

Truck:
    1983 Toyota Pickup SR5 4X4 Short Bed 22R
    Thanks first80toyota, I know that but I want to keep my truck as original as possible and I don't want to remove parts is original to the truck. What I cant find are web sites or any references to this EGR light for 70s Toyota Hilux Pickup. I have a almost new air filter in placed already, and all the vacuum lines are in the right place and not broken or missing. If someone has fixed this problem, can you please help me?

4. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Your egr valve may have finally plugged up. If that happens it will trip the light. Easiest route is to block the egr port at the back of the head and the one on the intake. LC Engineering makes block off plates for like $15. You could also delete the air injection pump (pass side down low) and its lines. Cork the holes where the exhaust manifold crosses gases around. It's all simple to remove and will make things run better and look cleaner. Most guys here take all the other emissions stuff like the charcoal canister and vacuum diaphragms and toss them out.

Little tip, if you take a hacksaw blade you can use it to cut the tabs holding that square in. Then a half round file on the lower edge a hair will allow a 2-1/8" gauge to fit. Oil pressure or volts would be first choice on a stock rig. Check out my dash setup, I made an overlay panel to house 5 gauges where the stereo was. That got moved to the center console.