1974 Hilux suddenly has no power

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Spuds, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Spuds

Spuds Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Hilux Longbed
    Hi, I recently purchased a 1974 Hilux and when I first got it, I poured some gas into the carb, turned the ignition and it started right up. The truck sat for a week then I went to start it up again which it did but after turning it off and trying to start it again, it completely died while the starter was turning. Now nothing electrical will turn on. Not even the turning signals or lights will come on when the key is turned. Won't turn over. I looked at the wires coming off the bat and they seem to be in decent condition except for a few frayed wires which were like that when I bought it. I've also checked the fuse box and they are all intact. I'm assuming there is a problem between the battery and the ignition but I am stumped. Does anybody know of any common problems with wiring on these or specific areas of failure? I find it weird that the vehicle was starting perfectly fine multiple times then it just completely dies and has zero electricity. Thanks.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check the connectors on the back of the fusebox. Theyre basically spade connectors. Oh and check the negative battery cable make sure its grounded good

3. Spuds

Spuds Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Hilux Longbed
    I checked the ground which is connected to the engine block, and it looks solid. I also checked and cleaned the fuse box terminals and they are also good. Still no power sadly. But after looking at the positive battery cable, I found a bolt that is clamping down what used to be a few small cables that lead to a plug and a larger cable that leads to the starter. The smaller wires are all frayed/split apart and the other side of them leads into the cab (probably to ignition). Do you know what these wires are for. I'm assuming that they are fairly important. IMG_0580.jpg IMG_0582.jpg IMG_0581.jpg IMG_0583.jpg IMG_0584.jpg

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Wow someone mickey moused the fuck out of that. That bolt holding wires together shouldnt be there. And the battery should be grounded to the frame then the engine to the frame and then the body to the engine and/or frame

Perkolator likes this.
  5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    When it's been messed with like that it might just be better to rewire it. Does the stock alternator have a lug for the battery? Maybe replace the battery positive lead and go straight to the starter lug. Then from starter to alternator if you have a lug for it. May not exactly be your fix but that cable is an issue with it stepping down in size like that and being exposed. Is that wire that's tied on to your lead new? Kind of weird that the lead looks a lttle melted but the wire tapping off looks good. That's a potential short waiting to burn up and probably has before.

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    You should have 2 fusible links close to the battery (+) terminal. On my 1978, one link is for lights the other for ignition.
    If the ignition link has melted or is defective the truck won’t start. My truck has one white wire and one red with purple stripe. They exit the harness close to the battery.
    You really need to do some rewiring. Until you get the basics back to normal, it will be difficult to do any diagnostics.
    I’ve attached a battery picture from my rig showing the two thermal links. Yours should be similar.

Attached Files:

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Wonder why the cable end on the battery terminal was clamped instead of using the ring to bolt it down

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Oh man didnt see that. Good thing there isn't to much on these trucks to draw a large current. Most vehicles would of already burned up.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  9. Spuds

Spuds Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Hilux Longbed
    I'm having the truck checked by an electrical guy next week so hopefully he can get it figured out.