1969 Hilux brake system help

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Sneekr1, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Sneekr1

Sneekr1 Newbie

So, I recently bought a1969 Hilux in great condition, except turns out the brakes are shot.

My mechanic wants to rebuild the whole system but he can't find replacement parts, especially the brake cylinder (?), though cables and master cylinder was no problem. He also says my particular year has some sort of 1069 product number, vs the standard 1067 whatever that means.

So, does anything above sound familiar to anyone? Also, is there a great source for hard to find Hilux parts?

Finally, is there some other more regularly accessible truck brake system from another type of truck and year altogether that would fit the '69 Hilux?

Thanks!

_A

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Rockauto.

Or you can try upgrading the fronts to discs using 75-78 parts

3. Sneekr1

Sneekr1 Newbie

Thanks Jetas.

Rock Auto was out of the needed parts so was trying to source elsewhere.

So the disk brakes from a 75-78 Hilux will fit on the 69? Might try that route.

4. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    I'm not sure if this is directly relevant, but if it's like the early 2nd gen trucks, the 79-82 or 83 fronts will work, you just need to flip the sides from driver to passenger and use the original steering arms from the drums.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yes. You mainly need the spindles, hub and caliper. Bearing can still be had new, along with rotors and pads. I would advise taking the hard brake line and the rubber flex line too.

Only thing with this is you will need the booster and master cylinder from a truck with discs.

Im in the process of doing the disc swap onto my 72 second gen. I just need to change out the booster and MC and run new lines up front and il be good

Sk1dmark likes this.
  6. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    To add further to this, the booster and master will be available at Rock Auto. My swap, I just bought knuckles from a junkyard truck which I found on car-part.com, which included everything knuckle outwards, then bought new wheel bearings, calipers, pads, rotors, master and booster, and everything else needed directly from rock auto. The parts for the 79-83 trucks are stupidly common.