18rc runs like crap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Bottle, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Bottle

Bottle Member

So after my top end rebuild, i have a solid misfire on one of my cylinders (puld the mire and it changed nothing) its not a plug (replaced 2 times) spark fires out of head. I went through my cam bolts and rocker bolts a second time to verify torque specs and tappet adjustments, all are correct. Compression was a tad low on that cylinder, but nothing serious. Misfire appears to disappear at higher rpm, but there is a severe lack of power. What could it be? Could the cam gear be off a tooth? the gear never came off the chain, but the chain may have moved on the lower gear during rebuild. It ran perfect before it blew, it doesn't make sense. Also ported the head while it was off.

Attached Files:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Could be the timing. Or 2 wires are switched

3. Bottle

Bottle Member

Update:
    Sprayed carb cleaner around the intake mani to head gasket and it ran perfect while spraying. Visually you can see the gasket is not pinched as tight at the intake mani as it is on the exhaust mani. Gonna get washers and file one side. I'm worried about liquid gasket as its right next to the headers.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Might not be getting enough fuel.

Mine was being wierd when i had the fuel pressure regulator. It took a dump, i pulled it off and its all good now

5. Bottle

Bottle Member

well, tightening the manifold did the trick, it runs well now, but oil overflows out the valve cover breather, its a tad underfilled too lol. Probably old gasket fell in the passages, smh lol. gonna try to seafoam the shit out of it tomorrow lmao. looks like my first time doing a head gasket didn't go so well. too bad this is my daily and i drive over 100 miles a day.