1 ton axle swap info

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 93Yoter, Feb 28, 2007.

1. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Ok so next year I am swapping a lexus V8 from a sc400 and 5spd from a supra into my 93 toyota pickup std cab. but unfourtunately I don't think the stock rearend/axle will be able to handle more than double the horsepower. So I plan on swapping a axle from a 2wd cab and chassis 1ton. So my question is how close in size is this axle to the one in my truck? Is the bolt pattern for the wheels the same? Where is a good place to find one of these axles? Thanks.

2. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Anyone know anything about this? Enola any idea or some diagrams?

3. LightBrightToyota

LightBrightToyota Newbie

Truck:
    1993 Toyota pick up/ 1988 4Runner
    The Single Rear Wheel one ton axle you looking for may not be what you want. The 1-ton portion of it comes in that the axle is a full floating axle. This design is much like a corporate 14-bolt axle you hear the full size chevy guys talk about when they lift a 4x4 chevy.

The axle shaft can be removed from the axle without taking the wheels off. It unbolts at the wheel (under where the center cap would be located on the rear axle) The one ton toyota axle is a full floater but, I am not totally sure if the axle can be removed in the same way as the 14-bolt.

The set up you may want is a Ford 9" Rear axle that has the bearing support on the back of the pinion gear that Toyota axles do not have. The 9" is the same design as the Toy axle with the removable center section. The truth is alot of drag racers choose that axle because it can take alot of horsepower/torque and not break. The toyota axle is not weak by any means but, the 9" is the upgrade and if that doesn't hold you can do like old muscle cars used to with a Dana 60 rear axle which is just a little less strong then the 14-bolt axle I talked about earlier.

In my opinion I would run the Toyota rear until it breaks and then fix it if it does. You will either break the gears or waste an axle shaft with some crazy driving. Toyota axle parts are plentiful on a website like this and cheap compared to Ford 9" center sections and Dana 60 axles.

I have seen many V8 Toyota 4x4's pushing 35" and up tires and axle breakage was not a problem unless they really got on it and snapped the throttle. I think your biggest problem with that set up you have planned is traction because with the weight of a toyota pick up over the rear tires you are gonna do great smoke shows even when you don't want to.

Hope this helps but, if you need more info check out Pirate4x4.com and click bulletin boards and go to Toyota chat. There is a post there that talks about 1-ton rear toyota axles in detail. Good luck!

4. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Traction will definately be an issue but I plan on bulding a triangulated 4 link and running the biggest slicks that will fit when I'm racing. I was looking into the 9" too but I just thought it would be cool to keep it all toyota but oh well I'll probally end up buying a fab9 that's custom built how I want it.

5. Enola Gaia

Enola Gaia Member

Truck:
    Past: 85 + 93 XtraCabs
    Just for the record ... I've never found any detailed diagrams / manual documentation on the 1-ton-specific components like the axle ...

6. Enola Gaia

Enola Gaia Member

Truck:
    Past: 85 + 93 XtraCabs
  7. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    93yoter- If you want to stay toyota, you have a few options. First off, the 8" v6 carrier is much stouter than the 7.5" and the 8" also uses 31 spline axles instead of the 27's in the 7.5" I have been told that for 5 lug axlesin the 8", you have two choices:
    one - weld in the six lug bolt pattern, machine down the mounting surface (I believe the hub might be slightly smaller) and redrill the stud holes to the 5 lug pattern.
    two - I have been told that there are a few axle shaft builders, that can custom make the chromoly's similar to the ones that I bought for my 4runner from All Pro Offroad w/ the right wheel pattern.

Then, of course if you want to run really wide drag radials, (the biggest I could fit on my setup were 265's) you can narrow the framerails and run the pre '86 axle which is 3" narrower @ 55" surface to surface.

8. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    So as you know I'm doing the 7mgte and irs into my current truck but I'm going to buy 2nd 93 when I graduate and run a twin turbo 1uzfe that will be used purely for drag racing and occasional street driving. I'll probally forget toyota rear ends at that point and use a ford 9" with a 4 link.

9. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    Just to let you know Toyota did put 8" 5 lug axles in their 2wd trucks that wasn't a dually rear. In the junkyard look for 4 speed manual trans 2wd trucks 84 and up. These trucks usually have the 8" 5 lug in them. The axle code will start with a "G" rather than an "F". I just got one from my local u-pull-it yard for 50 bucks. The best part is it is stronger than the 7.5 and you can use the 3rd members out of the 4wd trucks. Since the 4wd trucks have 4.10 gears and higher you can also get lockers, limited slips and other parts for it.

I have a 93 2wd with a 7.5 in it with 4.56 gears and a posi. It is all stock right down to the factory muffler and this little thing moves pretty good. I'am planning on putting a V8 so that is why I get the 8" axle.

James

10. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Hey James, what posi are you running in your 7.5"? Do you want to sell it?

11. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    I'am running a Precision Gear posi. I may sell it if I do put the 8" but I do not know when that is going to happen.

James

12. fintmica5spd

fintmica5spd Member

Truck:
    1993 xcab
    If your looking for a posi/ limitedslip/ locker for the 8" or the 7.5 go to
    www.northwestoffroad.com The have a bunch of different posi units and they sell complete third members with any ratio you could ever think of:rolleyes: