Newb verification of wheel compatibility ?

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by SEMichigan10, Jun 27, 2010.

1. SEMichigan10

SEMichigan10 Newbie

Hi I am trying to decide on a set of new wheels for my 93 2wd regular cab pickup. The truck is totally stock right now, but I would like to upgrade the brakes front and back and thought a set of 17" wheels would look cool and provide space for larger brake hardware in future.

I came across this set of wheels on ebay:
    [​IMG]
    obviously, the seller has a pic of a 4 lug design, but those advertised are 5 lug.

The spec is 17x7 5x4.5 backspacing 5.513". Seems not to be too wide, from searching here the backspacing should be OK.

Anyone know of any reason I should not go for these ?

Recommended tire sizes to go along with these wheels ?

Thanks
    Keith

2. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    1. Every one has these wheels.
    2. Every civic has these wheels.
    3. 5.513" backspacing? try if you can get something down to about 4 or 3".
    4. 215(or 225)/45(or 55, depends how much meat you'd like)/17

3. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Yea definatly FWD wheels.....ewww. (but hey your truck :lol:)

So you know, if you do run 17's, it takes a 13 in rotor and a decent caliper to fill up that gap. Just sayin.

And wide isnt a problem on toyotas. Ive stuffed 275/XXR17's under the rear. (on a 10.5 wheel) and a 255 front (on a 9 in wheel)

4. SEMichigan10

SEMichigan10 Newbie

So just a little perspective: I recently bought this truck. It needs quite a bit of body work in the front and where the hood meets the cab (I suspect a flight into the ditch one fine winter). Right now, if it sits in the driveway for a week, all the tires are flat. The steel wheels are rusty and I believe the truck was parked for quite a while before I bought it.

So, having done this once before: I can remove all 4 wheels and tires, have the tires dismounted, shotblast the rims, weld any bad spots, paint the rims with zink rich primer (so that I don't need to see rust again in the next 10 years) and them have them profesionally painted silver or some other color. Last time I did this, it was with "special" rims for the 1 ton dually rear end that were in a sorry state and spares are basically not available. But if I add everything up, it was more expensive than buying a set of reasonably priced alloys.

Personally, I feel that steel wheels belong on a truck that is regularly driven off pavement (I don't do any trail riding of course, but do spend quite a bit of time on gravel). Having read the controversy regarding the 5x115mm Chrysler interface, that kinda ruled out 1 source of readily available wheels. It looks like the Ford 500 / Crown Vic has the correct interface, but availability seems spotty (presumably ford didn't sell too many of those). The Jegs catalog has Cragar 397 series steel wheels that are reasonably priced, but they are wider than I would like and are close to zero offset.

[​IMG]

This is the 17x8 wheel they list with a rear spacing of 4.5". If this will work for my application that will be great !

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Yeah, I like 'em. Definitely don't want to go wider than 225's and probably a 45 or 40 series sidewall.

I really want minis to get away from all chrome and billet wheels.

The backspacing should be somewhere around -20-42mm, which I believe is between 4 and 5 inches. Double check this though...

6. SEMichigan10

SEMichigan10 Newbie

Considering that the wheel is 8" wide and the rear spacing is 4.5" it stands to reason that the offset (from the wheel CL) is +12.7mm. I am sure that the backspacing of 4.5" is no problem, but the concern is that the outside of the wheel will probably be 1" closer to the fender than the original 5.5J wheels and the overall rolling radius will be larger too.

I was hoping to go with 225/65's. I think an increase in the rolling radius would be an advantage and the ultra low profiles are easily damaged on secondary roads. The original 195/75 x 14's have a 25.8" diameter whereas the 225/65's are at 28.6" so not quite 3" larger in diameter. Nowhere near as big as what the 4x4 folks do, but significantly different anyway.

7. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    whats the issue with the 5x115 chrysler? i have them now and havnt had any issues.

8. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    Issue? Well our lug pattern is 5x114.3

9. nvrenufedge

nvrenufedge Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    The only issue I had with runnin Charger wheels on my truck was no tire shop would touch it cause of the difference in bolt patterns. I had to take it off myself, throw it in my wifes car, drive to the tire shop, then drive back home and put it back on. :rolleyes2: It was more of a hassle then anything, so I got rid of them.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    at some point in the future i might still run the charger 17" steelies. all the rim shops here have put 114.3 on chargers/magnums/300s/CTS and anything with a 115 bolt pattern. and vice versa. i dnt personally see an issue with them. the bolt pattern isnt too far off so watever.

11. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    If you aren't lowering the truck, then the 3" height difference shouldn't matter. The wider turning radius of the wheel/tire might though.

12. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    if he gets a tire that is 26.1" tall, then the whole shabam with tire height shouldnt be too bad. he wouldnt have to change the gearing or anything like that.

a 17x8 will only be two inches wider than the factory 14x6's. we have a +38 offset on the factory steelies. If it is +12.7mm on the 17x8's, i guess he'll have a lil more wheel towards the fenders.

if it's 2wd fenders, he may be getting close. and then he'd have to get some clearance done with the fender wells themselves. When i had 2wd fenders, i still had plenty of tire clearance due to the 14x6's high positive offset.

and good Jesus i'm being cluttered with my post

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Wait, U have 14x6s Cin?

Something is very wrong with mine then. i got 14x5s.

14. SEMichigan10

SEMichigan10 Newbie

This wheel: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=6237865BML&wheelMake=Granite+Alloy&wheelModel=GA9&wheelFinish=Flat+Black+w%2FMach+Lip&showRear=no&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Pick-up+2wd&autoYear=1993&autoModClar=&filterSize=17&filterFinish=All&filterSpecial=false&filterBrand=All&filterNew=All&sort=Price
    is recommended by TireRack.

Its specs are:
    # Size: 17x8
    # Offset: 10mm
    # Backspacing: 4.84"
    # Bolt Pattern: 5-114
    # Rec. Tire Size: 255/55-17

Looking at that, it is nearly identical to the steel wheel I mentioned before. Their recommended tire size is also 28.2" in diameter so even on that aspect too. Finally the 255 is actually wider, so the 225 should be better in that respect. Generally things are looking up.

What are the complications of fitting 4x4 fenders up front on a 2wd ? I am replacing the grille, core support, bumper, lights, hood etc, so the fenders seem like small potatoes in that mix and I would rather start with rust free metal.

Thanks
    Keith

15. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Factory should be 14x6"
    There should be a "stamp" on the barrel that should say 14x6.
    Btw, what kind of steelie do you have? mine has the holes.

Recommended tire size is "28.2" because it will give you back some ride quality (it just threw in two inches on tire height.)
    That means if you got the recommended, your speedometer will be off, you'll do a lil better on the highway, and accelerate slower... but save gas. sort of. haha

4WD fender's are not tough to install. same thing as 2wd fenders...
    Only difference is.
    1. 4WD Corner lights.
    2. Extra "flare".
    3. and you may need the plastic liners if you plan to keep it, but most don't have it.

Here's a before and after.... and holy crap have i gone a far way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. SEMichigan10

SEMichigan10 Newbie

And pay more than double for the tires... And tire rack had only 2 tires to choose from in 255/55 and pages full in the 225/65's, including winter/snow.

17. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    well im runing the chrysler 300c wheels with no power steering and im having no issues turning. I think they are only a 7 inch wide rim, but there was no difference between those and the crap that came on my truck...so i dont think an 8 inch wide rim would make it something worth complaining about

18. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    as long the positive offset doesnt make the inner part of the rim and tire hit the arms and ****, he'll be fine. that's all we need to be in the clear for lol

19. nvrenufedge

nvrenufedge Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    The wheels you have should be a 14x6.

The Magnum/Charger wheels I had were 7.5" wide and no issues.

20. SEMichigan10

SEMichigan10 Newbie

How about this wheel: Price is right and tires are not outrageous...

18x7.5 x 35mm offset. Should be a better fit on the explorer axle I am going to fit since it is wider than standard. If the front turns out a bit narrow I would be able to fit a spacer to move the wheels out a little.

The steel wheels with a low offset make me nervous since there is no way to narrow anything up and one is forced into custom flares which is pretty expensive, compared to wheels. Spacers are readily available too.

Attached Files: