anyone tell me if this timing chain is bad?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by psycopanther, Mar 20, 2010.

1. psycopanther

psycopanther Newbie

help with timing chain/engine noise.
    can anyone tell me if there is any problems with my timing chain on my 1991 22re 4x4 pickup?? you tube videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRthpAwmwE

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9_i3ZHDTbg

rebuilt motor with new crank and bearings. fires up fine now, seems to lack power like timing is off. which probably is. anyways, i already get a noise like a knock from a rod in the engine. however, i only seem to here it when i am accelerating. if i step on the gas, it either does not make the noise, or my exhaust leaks covers it up. anyways, this is off my cell phone, so it is a 3g2 file or whatever. the noise seems to disappear when it is revved up more or at least i cant here the tapping. let me know what ya'll think. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5PDBAZEW i went ahead and took off the timing cover but dont seem to be loose enough to do anything, unless the tensioner is not working right.

2. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    How many miles is it?
    I say adjust your valve lash.

22RE's have a characteristic valve tap and injector noise. I'm sure its not those since you were recording the front of the motor.

The chain guides seem to be intact...

I'll wait until another 22R/RE guru comes here.

3. psycopanther

psycopanther Newbie

would valves seriously sound like a knock noise that is louder at certain rpm and quieter at idle and 3/4 to full throttle??

would a exhaust leak show the same symptoms? really trying to eliminate possibility of bottom end issues if there is a way

4. Magic Lemon Fairy

Magic Lemon Fairy Newbie

Truck:
    92 extended cab, 22RE
    yes sir valve noise can sound like something is terribly wrong...but its normal. i reccommend lashing them. .012 for the exhaust side (right) .008 for the intake (left) and thats in inches. go get a book and a feeler gauge if you dont already have them... now...you hear everyone saying to do it while the engines hot. sure go ahead if you want to go back and do it again in about a month or less. i say do it when its cold and take your time..get it right the first time. it works. i did it hot twice in one week, no difference. i did it cold a month ago... still good...

your timing chain is in great condition. no serious burn marks, sludge build up, and it is plenty tight. your good there, dont mess with it unless you really want to. when a timing chain goes bad you will know it before it breaks... believe me

yes sir exhaust leaks, specifically in the flange ( where the header meets the rest of the exhaust) i replaced mine and it took away a lot of the noise.

above all dude, remember, these things are noisy. they sound like somethings going to fall apart all the time. i wouldnt worry about it man. yeah you might have a noisy truck, but you also have a toyota. these turd buckets last and last with proper turd care. i love em...i'm on my second one

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  5. KEKAHA_HR

KEKAHA_HR Member

Hey, just got done watching the vids and listening to the audio. Doesn't sound like valve tick to me. It almost sounds like a really bad exhaust leak. It would help if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Also, by the looks of the video, it doesn't seem your at top dead center. Shiny link of the chain should be at the top of the cam sprocket with the dimple in the sprocket directly in the shiny link. Could just be the light though....