Success at the Junkyard (ford 8.8)

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by rajzswap, Sep 20, 2009.

1. krazyasslunatic

krazyasslunatic Enthusiast

Truck:
    1971 Hilux
    another toyota rear end would be the cheapest but an 8.8 is a great option, there readily available and you can upgrade them, change gear, etc and its already the same bolt pattern

2. duckyaz

duckyaz Veteran

somebody on here said that if you get your first 8.8 and then get the shorter side axle and all from anonther 8.8 and swap it with the longer side, you will have a centered diff and will be 1/2 inch longer than a stock rear end.

3. Dcups

Dcups Addict

Truck:
    93 Std Cab chassis/4Runner 2door body

Im just thinking out loud here...

But wouldn't the axle shaft be longer to accommodate the longer axle? So using the shorter axle on the longer side wouldn't move the diff into the center. You would just have a short axle in the longer axle tube.

4. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    pretty cool, ill be on the look out for a later explore from some cash4cluckers...

5. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Shoot found one at the pull-a-part near me, they are only 90 bucks there plus whatever the brakes are going to be, probably extra 50, but im going to get it, had 3l73 on the tag. 189,000 miles, and thats just one random one I spotted, im sure there are 10 more out there.

6. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    make sure it has disc brakes. that mileage is a little high but will work. it will have to have the posi rebuilt

7. garagedoorman

garagedoorman Addict

Truck:
    86 RN63 /87 RN50 /85 SR5 /80 4x4 /86 RN55
    Man junkyards are crazy expensive in the south. I read both of these threads over the weekend. Excited to see what a rear end was going to cost me.
    Try from $250. for one with 250,000 miles to $500. for one with 75,000 miles. So I thought I'd check junkyards in N.Carolina. There they want $125. for one with 288,000 miles to $650. for one with 98,000 miles. There,s only one pull-a-part about an hour away, but all the cars are stripped. So I pay a dollar to walk all the way to the back to find out they don't have what I needed:runaway:. So after a couple of those I quit going to the pull-a-part. I may have to fly el cheapo to Arizona and go to one of burnz half price junkyard days.

RANT OVER

8. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    Dang thats outrageous for a rear end. Mine complete was 220 out the door