It just never ends...

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 88Sandshark, Sep 12, 2009.

1. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Okay, some of you guys may know that I have had a lot of repairs to do and to still do, but now I have a real head scratcher... I found coolant on the side of my engine block this morning after a long trip out to where I used to live.:mad: I can't pinpoint the exact location because my dad has my camera, his old one is too big to fit, but I managed to stick my head between the engine and firewall and it does not look like it's coming from the head (good sign, replaced that last year). I checked the fluid levels this morning and it still looks great, so I'm wondering if this could be a pinhole hose leak? What do you guys think?:shrug:

I had replaced the hoses last year too, but my aunt and uncle's auto parts shop didn't have the right type, so I had to modify them to fit them and they worked just fine... at least probably until now...

If I get my camera back soon, I'll post a pic.

Thanks in advance.

2. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    if its a pin hole in a hose line then do a pressure test through the radiator. I have done it before, took about 20 psi then it pissed coolant across the driveway but found the problem that couldnt be spotted with the human eye.

3. S13minus1

S13minus1 Member

Truck:
    86 4WD N/A Auto, 85 Nissan 200SX
    my truck has a water leak too, i have NO IDEA where its coming from.

can the pressure testers be rented from autozone or something?

4. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    hmmm doubt it but it doesnt hurt to find out. give them a call

5. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I don't get it...:confused:

I took the truck to my mechanic friend, he thoroughly inspected it; head gasket visual inspection, hoses, pressure test, the works... no bubbling out. he did say though that my radiator cap is crap, but that's not important now, it still holds pressure...

I think this truck may be out to get me...:shrug:

6. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    Replace the CAP! just because it "holds pressure" doesnt mean its fine. Not holding the proper pressure up to spec can cause overheating... Spend the 5-10 bucks and get a new one.

7. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    there are a ton of places that coolant can come from on the block, i could sit here all day and tell you to replace crap but it would do no good, cost a lot, and maybe fix it.

need pics for this kinda thing

8. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    Something that people tend to over look is the freeze plugs in the side of the block. They can leak very slowly & it be hard to see/locate.

9. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Wait, wait, wait. We're overlooking the most important part of the original post...

88sandshark, you said said that you "managed to stick your head between the engine and firewall". - Wow.

Anyway, it is entirely probable to have a leak that will only show itself when the engine is hot under load. I've experience this a few times. There are two ways to fix, Start replacing stuff - can get expensive, or pressure test.

10. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I do have plans to replace the radiator cap

The place I saw when I had my camera was a little bit above some circle-surrounded letter on the exhaust side of the block, I'll try and post a pic when I get my camera back

Freeze plugs seemed fine, my mechanic friend took a look for me

What can I say, I'm fairly skinny, It's also somewhat convenient because my truck's high enough off the ground to stick my head in there and hold a light, I took the truck to my mechanic friend after a fifteen mile drive home from school, so plenty warm, especially when it's averaging around 102 degrees.

11. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Got a pic... finally got my camera back...
    PA050004.jpg
    Do you guys think that there is a hole in the block or something? It's not from the gasket apparently and obviously not the freeze plugs...:shrug:

Eventually, I'm gonna end this "fix this-fix that" garbage and get a new engine...

12. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    77 sr5 shortbed, 81 shortbed, 90 4x4
    to me it looks like they are leaking from the casting

13. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    I've never seen a block crack like that... Looks like it's coming from the heater pipe and shooting to the block... But, there's always a first for everything...

14. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Everyone seems to have different theories about it... both my dad and my cousin (a Navy mechanic) are convinced it's the head gasket. I really want a new engine...

15. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    clean off the stains with a wire brush

then

take another pic from the same spot but get the head gasket and the leak stains

unless thats a aftermarket block, i dont buy the castings leaking like that. the block is like .5in+ thick there, and the casting is part of the mold not done at another time.

i have had coolant pipes leak where the mounting tabs were welded on. PO had rotated the end of the pipe and they cracked at the edge of the weld.

and finally, the leak pattern (straight down) says it only happens on heat soak, or after you shut the car off.

16. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    77 sr5 shortbed, 81 shortbed, 90 4x4
    i know the blocks are casted in a mold and nothing is added afterwards
    all i was sayin is it looks like its coming from around the b cause it doesnt look like there is a trail coming down from the head even though its kinda hard to tell

17. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I'll get back to the coolant leak later... in the meantime, when I use the heater early in the morning for my commute to school, once in a while, I'll get a "rotten egg" smell, what is this? Would it be an easy fix?

18. 91HiLux

91HiLux Enthusiast

Truck:
    1991 Toyota HiLux 4x4 RN101
    take a mechanics mirror and inspect that coolant pipe, if it checks out ok, and then do as ShonNuff said

19. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    this truck is now starting to annoy me again... this morning, I was almost at school and then the idle drops below 800RPM out of nowhere, I get to school and I see white smoke, here a faint knock through the muffler and saw a small amount of smoke coming out of the hood and wheel wells!:doah: Please tell me that this IS NOT a second head gasket failure... even with a new, better job, I can't afford this.

20. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Dying 4x4

I just got back from a much more reliable mechanic... my truck is dying... and still below 200,000 miles... there's too much engine damage to rebuild it... oil was everywhere... I guess that's what happens when you get an abused vehicle...