free C.A.D. program

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by burnzya, Jul 4, 2009.

1. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
  2. Yodaforce

Yodaforce Member

Which one did you download? Is it anyhting like AutoCAD?

3. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i downloaded the free version. i sent the email with just my name, and the next day the guy sent the password to download it.

not sure if its like autocad, i've never used the software.

4. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    I have been meaning to test out this software a bit and give some feedback about it, I have just been super busy lately. So far I just downloaded the free demo, but I should send an email for the other download too. I know it has more features enabled. Just from what I have seen of the demo so far, I would have to say it is not really anything like AutoCAD. AutoCAD has had the same basic layout since 2000 with small improvements and changes being added in. The format is pretty different from this CAD software, functioning mostly off of somewhat customizable floating toolbars and a command line.I am pretty excited by the accessibility of this software (it's free) compared to the whopping 4 figure price tag on AutoCAD. I hope it will prove usable/useful. I will email and request a copy.

If someone were serious about pursuing a career using AutoCAD, one good way to get your hands on a legal copy would be to enroll in a jr./college course (online institutions count). This would entitle you to purchasing the student copy which I believe sells for around $200. The full version is normally around $4800 last time I checked. It does have it's limitations, basically in the form of a "student version" watermark, but if you are just trying to learn the software and do some of your own designs that isn't really an issue. By the time you get to using the software professionally it is likely that your employer will have a licensed copy for you to run as a lot of design firms and such buy licenses for ten users at a time or similar deals.

One point I would like to make is that while AutoCAD is the industry leader in architectural/engineering software, it is not necessarily the best. Especially when you get out of the architectural realm. If someone wanted to design parts in 3d I would highly suggest they look into SolidWorks. It is gaining in popularity and there is a demand for people able to operate it. It also cost about half as much as AutoCAD, although the student version would still run you a couple hundred dollars. If someone were more inclined towards automotive body design and rendering I would suggest Rhino.

Rhino has a functional demo available for download.
    http://www.rhino3d.com/download.htm

SolidWorks is a little more difficult to get your hands on. You have to attend a seminar and do some basic training to get a demo. If you want to see visual demos of what the software is capable of, you can register on http://www.solidworks.com/ for free and watch demo videos and tutorials.

Here is a link to download a 30 day trial of AutoCAD 2010:
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/mform?id=9106363&siteID=123112

Anyway, not trying to thread jack with all these non free programs. I think this free CAD software might be a really good thing as long as it has some essential capabilities built in. I look forward to testing it out.

5. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    I got my username and password emailed from graytech and downloaded the software. It is impressive for the cost. It is basically free, but there are some features you would want for sure if you were using it professionally (like shading, for example) that are only available in the "professional" version (costs $29.95) which is still a good deal, but part of what I found so exciting about this was the prospect of a quality free CAD program. Also, while this software does include a z axis, I found it very lacking in usable tools for creation of 3D objects. It also lacks a good 3D viewpoint, IMO. I don't care for their split screen view options. I would like to see an isometric view button right on the main toolbar so you can easily view your drawing in perspective. The zoom functions are also pretty lacking. It is important to be able to easily zoom in and out when drafting. AutoCAD accomplishes this using the scroll wheel or the side of the trackpad. Scroll up to zoom in where the cursor is pointed, scroll out to zoom out from where the cursor is pointed.

All in all, I don't think this software compares at all with AutoCAD, which I guess makes sense givin their price difference and the decades and millions of dollars Autodesk put into designing their software. I am not sure who exactly this software is geared for, but these days 3D design software is getting so incredibly advanced and powerful that if you are serious about learning CAD, I think you would be severely limiting yourself to learn on this software.

On a side note, I also downloaded the Rhino 4.0 demo I posted the link to and it is awesome! Seriously! Check it out if you are into CAD at all. It has neat descriptions built into a side window that describes the different functions as you click on them and use them. If you dream of designing cars or even boats or anything with flowing curves, Rhino is an amazing tool for that. After you make your surface into a polygon mesh and form it into a nice curve of the desired shape you can flatten out the surface to create a template of what the material will need to be like prior to forming. You can imagine the design possibilites with this. Here is a quick model of an airbag I did just messing around with the evaluation copy (sorry for the crappy pic of my netbook screen but you get the idea):
    [​IMG]
    I am going to have to suggest that if anyone here is serious about learning CAD that they go with either AutoCAD or ProEngineer for architectural and engineering and SolidWorks or Rhino if they are trying to use CAD for the automotive design field. Solidworks being my number one recommendation unless you specifically want to do a lot of curved surfaces. If there is anywhere near you offering classes in SolidWorks I feel they are only going to gain a stronger share of the market. It also allows you to link components in a mechanism and cycle them to check for clearances. Like imagine designing tubular control arms or an independent rear suspension system and being able to cycle the suspension in the drawing and analyze it's functioning. I think it would be great for making small tweaks to the length of upper and lower control arms to adjust how much negative camber the wheels would have when tucked compared with at ride hieght. But the possibilites are endless with sofware this powerful. It also supports CAM for rapid prototyping (as does AutoCAD 2008+ and any other CAD program worth it's salt these days). With this you can do 3D plastic printing, control a mill head, lazer, or plasma cutter. Now they even have lazer sintering devices that can build 3D objects out of metal grains. I want that!

By the way, I had mentioned this wrench in another thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is a 3D printout from a 3D CAD drawing. When the printing process was completed the wrench worked. The adjuster opens and closes the jaws of the wrench. Further more, you couldn't assemble this wrench. The adjuster is made permanently encased in the plastic wrench body. Pretty impressive, huh? I don't know of anything that makes metal objects with moving parts yet, but it's coming. The lazer sintering devices can make a solid wrench however, even from titanium!

6. DHPmike

DHPmike Member

I just got a free copy of dwgeditor and its pretty neat for what im using it for. I make drawings of plates and deisgns for armor plates on armored trucks. These drawings are used by the CNC plasma table to cut parts. I also use it for making tabs and brackets. I hope to learn it better to start doing 3d stuff.

7. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    Sweet! For those that don't know, DWGs are the standard AutoCAD format, and this program is an offering from Solidworks (comes free with SolidWorks). I heard about this a while back but never followed up on it. I am downloading an evaluation copy to try it out. I'm thinking coming from SolidWorks it should be good. I haven't been able to track down a price for it yet. SolidWorks marketing is weird. There is a link on there page to request a quote.

8. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    anyone got a free copy of a good 3D parametric modeling software like I-deas 12, solid works or similar? I've completed the CAD and solid modeling classes from my pursuit of a engineering degree from OIT here in klamath falls but I do not have a full version of a 3d modeling software....

I do have a full professional version of autoCAD though muhahahahahha lol

9. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    SolidWorks is tough to come by. Even an evaluation copy. Although they will gladly give you a copy (demo) if you go to one of there seminars. They seem like really cool people and the seminars look cool. They are small groups, with workstations set up around the perimeter of the room so you focus on your screen/work. Supposedly it takes someone with a pretty keen mind for 3d modeling. I can't wait to try it out. I hope to impress them. They just really want to promote there software a lot and get more people trained to run it. They are still fighting against giants for there share of the market.

10. DHPmike

DHPmike Member

Well we have it at work to draw these parts so ive learned some of it and I like the 08 better than the old 07, lots more things it does for you. we can install it on like 3 computers at work maximum.

the problem is im looking for the price as well. Id like to have a copy for home use.

11. Bobby Bling

Bobby Bling Newbie

AutoCad is a good basic program to work with in terms of getting a feel for using datums and stuff like that- the basic solid model shapes and what not.

However, in the automotive industry i havent really seen anyone use autocad as it doesnt have the capabilities as some of the other design softwares out there.

Mainly ive used Catia V5 and UniGraphics NX3 ...I have yet to see any other software types used except for the foreign suppliers like to use some weird stuff that sucks to translate to NX3- and Ford uses proprietary stuff for a lot of their parts.

Aside from that, SolidWorks and AutoCad are mainly high school and community college level software programs that dont really have the power to actually complete the demands of the auto industry currently. Just from what i seen.

But hell, they are all the same if you used one, you can use them all. The only hard part is when you get into the more advanced stuff doing swept surfaces and 3d planes with specific forging datums and stuff. Aside from that its all gravy.

12. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I have been using rhino for years. Took it in high school. I love it. With the demo it limits your saves. But it supports many file types and I have downloaded a lot of things only to work with. From human characters to vehicles to buildings. Sorta for virtual photoshoots finding good models for oldball trucks is tough free though. I'm not good enough to do them from scratch yet. I've tried. Made a sweet roadster truck in senior year for a project though. Not really based on anything. An 80s ford. Ish. I'll post a picture in a bit.

13. standardbyker88

Truck:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

its obviously pretty simple. those renders were at home without a good computer so theyre a bit rough.

14. standardbyker88

Truck:
    i really wanna build this basic idea but with an FJ40 and a big chop, maybe extend the rear a bit.
    [​IMG]

i cleaned this car way up, the model i started with sucked.
    [​IMG]

15. standardbyker88

Truck:
    theres a site called turbosquid.com that has tons of free models and objects. other sites too. thats how i got the jeep and the mini. i have a few other cool things i found too. like an old ass 4 door volvo and some nice wheel designs.

16. project87

project87 Member

definitely gonna download this a little later im pretty experienced in auto cad and most cad programs ill let you know how this one stacks up with others
    :waytogo:

17. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    I took classes on this back in highschool and have done a tiny bit in college. But I can get student versions of autodesk inventor 11 I think.