Are these a good deal?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Shadetree Mechanic, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    These seem like a really good deal. I would rather have Slam bags or something, but for this price these are hard to pass up. What do you guys think? Also which bags would be a good choice for my truck? Thanks for the help.

http://www.airbagit.com/Air_Bags_s/23.htm

2. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i bought some of the 2600 lb. denominator II's. i like them, and the price.

3. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    they are local here in phx well mesa..I've bought several things but never bags..most of their stuff is pretty good i would trust em

4. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    A local guy here has them on his truck & they seem to work without any problems. It would something to get you started for now then you can upgrade to slams later.

5. stll2hi

stll2hi Member

Truck:
    92 xcab & 98 Taco
    I would say Slams. I've seen a spec sheet, but not against these bags (denominator), so I'm not sure how they would match. I just like how small in diameter the Slams collapse, plus the extra inch or so of lift from the way they're designed.

6. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    I actually checked it out and the specs look pretty good on these denominator IIs. They extend just as far as the Slam bags and compress slightly smaller.

Yeah, I couldn't pass it up for the price. I just placed my order. With shipping it was a little under $200 for all four.

7. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    $198 if i remember right. i picked mine up... if your local they charge you the $198 as well but don't charge tax on the shipping cost. kind of sucked for me, i was expecting to get them for $158.

either way it's a pretty sweet deal.

8. Bobby Bling

Bobby Bling Newbie

not to knock you guys but everyone ive ever known has had problems with the products from AIM industries- and Joe Morrow the CEO is a real... not very good person. (sorry, dont know how much this forum filters or how vulgar you guys get so i kept this as PC as possible)

Ive run some parts on my old s10 and they all broke, their customer service is terrible, and they are not a quality part at all. I actually do some metallography work at my college and brought in a set of spindles that broke from AIM and inspected them and they are junk, complete junk. You get what you pay for, Airlift spent a lot of time and money in R&D to develop their Dominator bags- especially after they had the crimp ring failures with their 2B6 bags - ive visited their operation and talked to their techs- they are a reputable company and they stand behind their product and they are good quality from what i can tell - as are slams, stones and contis - i would never trust my truck to anything that shAIM industries sold, and i can vouch from personal and friends experience that nothing good will come from buying AIM products.

i guess being a new guy on this forum my word doesnt really stand for much but i can assure you that ive been around the scene for a while now, and have bagged many a vehicle from mustangs to corvettes, s10s to c10s to 5 window trucks, to mopeds - Nothing ive touched or seen from AIM has ever turned out well in the long run.

Shoddy welds on tank bungs causing leaks, valves breaking, spindles cracking the bolt eyelets, control arm welds snapping right off, 4 link kits with chinsy non-graded bolts that rust and shear off after 5,000miles, etc etc.

9. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    So far I have had no problems with their service.:shrug: I paid just under $200 shipped for all four bags and got them in under a week. They appear to be the exact same bags (apparently of the same manufacture) that are sold by other distributors with slightly different markings for a higher price. At this point I have already bought the bags so I am definitely going to run them. I am not really interested in the politics between airbagit.com and other distributors. I am on a very limiting budget and just want the best deal. According to the specs these bags have the same amount of lift as slam bags with only a slightly larger diameter and they compress to a slightly shorter height. For the price I am willing to risk it and I will be sure and post up about how they actually perform under my truck once I get them installed.:waytogo:

10. Bobby Bling

Bobby Bling Newbie

sounds good dude, i wish you the best of luck with them - hopefully you have a better experience than me and my friends have.

One more word of caution though, moreso for others than yourself, spacial measurements are NOT the same as engineering and quality specifications. For an extremely oversimplified example - i can make something the same dimensions as that bag out of plywood and bubblegum but that doesnt mean it will perform the same. There is a lot of variance in vulcanizing quality, crimp quality and materials, and even bag plate construction and tolerances. Furthermore, SLAMs have internal bumpstops which make their price a bit higher but also offer a bit more durability in the long run. You can also tell that all the different manufacturers of bags use a different grade and thickness of rubber- some use recycled, some use first batch, etc. All these slight engineering changes and tolerances stack up to make a better/worse final product. Just because it has similar dimensions means nothing.

/rant. Sorry for the speech.

11. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    Did you or your friends use these bags?
    I was only comparing the compressed height since it came up as a supposed drawback with these bags earlier in the thread. Actually when I was talking about bags that appeared to be of the same manufacture I was talking about identical bags, not the Slam bags. I forget where my buddy purchased his from. I'll have to ask him. They are identical bags to mine though, just with a different logo on them and they cost a few dollars more. I seriously think they came from the same factory in China.

12. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    it's the airlift dominators that are the same.

i really don't worry about internal bump stops. when the bag brackets are properly setup the frame will hit the ground before the bag is "over" compressed.

13. Bobby Bling

Bobby Bling Newbie

I am really not THAT hard against AIM - i got bumped once and learned my lesson, i just tell my friends to not use their products either - just trying to look out for people.

THESE guys however are pretty irate- supposedly they are doing an unbiased review on Dominators vs Denominators - i am still looking for that link - here is a link to a debacle with AIM if you have a few hours to read crap haha

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f212/avs-slammed-by-aim-in-new-mt-365610/index9.html

...i am still looking for the review, i will post up if i find anything conclusive.

14. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:

Wow, thanks!:puke: I just read just about that whole thread and it was a total waste of time. Where are the actual comparisons and reviews? I have yet to see any actual feedback from people using these bags. I guess I should have been a little more clear when I said "I am not really interested in the politics between airbagit.com and other distributors.":shrug: