Windshield question

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Lil' Beast, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    1990 SR5 Extra Cab 4x4 Auto V6
    On my 1990 SR5 the windshield does not seem to be seated properly because while driving in some rain the other day it was leaking in the driver's upper corner:eek: Has anyone reseated their own windshield and what does it entail? I've never done glass work, so if I need to take it to a shop just let me down easy..

2. beckleyota

beckleyota Member

Truck:
    93 pickup xcab
    you can put silicone around the top of the windshield, cheep easy and guranteed not to break ur windshield

3. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    Do not put silicone on your truck...
    It contains an acid that etches into the paint for it to bond.
    As a result of that, it weakens that area of paint and will lead to rust.
    I have seen it WAY to many times.
    Just take it in man, should not cost more than 75$ to remove and replace it.
    At least at my shop it would not.
    We charge 75$ for R&R "remove and reinstall"
    And about 25$ for a reseal but you get no warranty with that one.

4. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was wondering if the shop will replace the windshield trim if they reset it? It appears to be a new windshield, just not installed properly. I went looking for answers at Auto Zone, and the manager there:rolleyes: suggested 'silicone gasket in a tube':eek:SO glad I did not take his advice and buy it and do it!

I appreciate the knowledge base here, and have spent the past 3 weeks reading all the sections of the forum, so that I don't post lame questions with answers that already exists. This truck is new to me, and I want to bring it back to prime over the next year:waytogo: Seems to have very little rust and is rebuildable. I'd rather drive a 20 yr old Toyota with 'history' than a new shiny truck, but that's just my style. I noticed my truck was built in Japan, and think it's way cool as I could not afford it when it was new, but really liked it's style:love:

So I should take it in to a auto glass shop and have them 'reseat the windshield'? Or is it worth going for the whole replace trim, and gasket deal?

5. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    you can also get 3m "windshield adhesive" basicly a rubber goo that you could squeeze in. may not look the best but will seal up the leak with no side effects.

6. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    Problem is after I noticed the windshield leaking while driving, after I parked I checked it out more. What I found is that the trim and gasket seems to not be seated correctly? I'm a pretty brave guy, but not foolhardy, so I think it needs to be repaired before I set out. If the goo is a temporary fix I may opt for it due to time constraints if it'll be effective and not damaging to the paint, metal base while on it. I don't want to muck up the truck after seeing all the nice rides here in everyone's avatar I feel the need to give this truck the high stylin treatment:waytogo:

7. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    No one is going to "reseat" that windshield.It is not in a gasket.
    Its glued to the truck with urethane, and the moulding is held on by plastic clips under it.
    You can try the goo tip and see if it stops.
    I would pull the top moulding off and seal it, but thats me knowing what im doing.
    What every you do, don't put glue on the trim. it wont help.
    The seal is under that and under the edge of the glass,so you will need to see if you can get it under the moulding in the leak area.otherwise your just going to make a mess.Or you can try to seal it from the inside.
    If you goto a shop,all they should have to do is remove the trim, cut it out and reinstall.
    Be prepared to buy a new one tho, if they break it, they wont give you a new one for free.
    You might need a new clip kit "cheap" but your moulding should be fine, unless an idiot put it in and glued the moulding to the truck.....lol
    A good shop will tell you all this up front and what you need to do.
    I would try and find a good shop that will try to simply reseal it. is usually works, and they will tell you if there is something wrong.
    Wish i was in range, id fix it in about 10 min's.......:doah:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    I'd have you fix it if I were closer! I REALLY appreciate your post as it gave me the information to go with to the shop and know what they were pricing me. I mis-spoke in an above post when I typed 'reseat', I had meant to type 'reseal'. If you took a look at this windshield you'd say it was not properly seated, and or sealed due to the way the trim looks and the fact that it is leaking. It'll have to be resealed this time, due to money; as I can't afford a new windshield if this one breaks during the work.

9. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    NP man!
    It usualy works when they try and reseal it.
    Just make sure its a good shop :)