Turbo 22re, whats so speacial

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by LOW-YOTA, Aug 16, 2009.

1. LOW-YOTA

LOW-YOTA Newbie

Truck:
    1992 TOYOTA P-UP
    What is so special about a turbo 22re, besides the turbo adds 15 extra horsepower. I bought a 1985 toyota about a month ago and since then everyone wants the engine, im putting it in a 1994 truck with a five speed. Is there something i am missing about this engine??????

2. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    essentially........... "potential"

yea, its not too beastly a motor above the 22re but just enough to be fun. ive driven one once. they are pretty peppy, kinda like having a "vvti" kick in but a bit more fun..... the actual potential behind the motor however is what makes em a fun motor to put in the trucks. given the right tuning and setup, they will boogy down the road alright :evil:

3. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Its the same block i believe or quite similar, but the head is designed for more air flow. Also yes these motors have a lot of potential.

4. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    so turbo 22RE has same block as teh last 22RE?

5. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Maybe one of the more experienced guys can chime in but i believe they are quite similar.

6. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    they are very similar. the exhaust manifold was obviously quite different to hold the turbo. i want to say they used a CT-12 turbo, which could possibly be upgraded by using the CT-26 from a 7M-GTE supra (86.5-92). but thats in a general sence, the specs of it might not be better. also, they made a few changes to the head to allow it to breathe a little better.

so i wouldnt look at it as "15 horsepower more" because thats just peak power vs peak power. the curve comes on strong earlier and pulls better. and again, thats stock vs stock. everybody who has made the basic changes on a toyota engine knows that they really wake up with things like intake, exhaust, ignition, cams, ect. not even having to really tear them all the way down. so, yeah they have more potential. not to mention the conversation factor since they were only available from i believe 85-87.

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    basically yes, there is a different piston to allow for a different compression ratio. and there is an extra oil feed and drain line to the turbo, but that may come off the pan or the head. i dont know tons about these motors, but have heard its basically the same block. but not the same casting number i dont think.

8. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    hmm, very interesting.

lol thanks.

Sheesh, i dont like the thought of messing with 22RE's but if you can easily turbo it for fun power... that would be GREAT. i want to feel turbo power so bad....

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    although the turbo offers better overall potention, i will always prefer an evenly powered n/a vs a low boost setup. example, i wanna do a 7M-GE (no turbo) which makes less power than a turbo version, but built up mild to about 250 at the crank it will have better throttle responce than a 250 low boost very mild turbo version because i dont have to wait for boost to build up. although turbos can be made to have very little lag, especially for low boost. but im just not a big turbo kinda guy. they're cool but i will roll without one.

10. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    just turbo your regular motor, simple enough. Dont boost to much and compression should be fine

11. Gaslight

Gaslight Member

I have one of the factory turbo pickups. The block are essentially the same with the exception of it being drilled for a drain under the turbo for the oil. The heads of a little different chamber shape as well as slightly larger volumetric size. They use the CT-20 turbo and then there are some other smaller parts that are specific to the trucks other than the ECU and wiring harness.

Being old enough to remember when these came out it is important to remember why they came out. Toyota did not have the 3.0 V6 ready for production and GM and Ford had just released their new V6 engines. The turbo 22R was created to bridge that gap until the 3.0 could be brought into production. It was never meant to be a performance engine. Think of it as more of a passing gear (in stock condition).

There are a lot of performance upgrades and they respond well although I think the redline is to low. Just don't expect to go out and start knocking off vets and vipers with the motor.

Jake

12. Evolmotorsports

Evolmotorsports Veteran

Truck:
    1987 RN50 Hilux
    The 22rte head is called an open chamber head, the 22r-e is called a closed chamber head.:D

13. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    which means?

details would have been nice:rolleyes:

14. zukin

zukin Newbie

22rte has 23 more hp than the 94 22re.
    31 more ft pounds more torque.
    they run a ct20 turbo not a ct12
    they have a compression ratio of 7.5 to 1
    compares to 9.3 to 1 that is on your 22re.

15. Evolmotorsports

Evolmotorsports Veteran

Truck:
    1987 RN50 Hilux
    If you were to look at the combustion chamber of the turbo head the combustion chamber is completely open ie completely open to the piston area and the non turbo has part of that area filled in or closed, the closed area results is a higer compression ratio, the turbo is a better motor in all aspects because once modified it can produce more reliable and predictable power.

16. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    sometimes i imagine how much strain these 22RE's go through when they're turbo'd and being pushed towards 300HP+. 3.5" of stroke but many miles.... w/e, they're awesome

17. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    and thats why it has a stock forged crank, and eagle h beam rods are available:cool:

18. Evolmotorsports

Evolmotorsports Veteran

Truck:
    1987 RN50 Hilux
    According to LC all 22r's with laser blocks have a forged crank and rods.

19. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Keep in mind, the power ratings listed for the 22RET are at 5-6 psi. When initially drove my 87 with a 22ret swap at stock boost (6 psi) it did feel weak. When I upped the boost to 10-11 psi, she woke the hell up. She's not fast by today's standards but I have had a couple guys driving a Golf 2.0T, late model turbo Saab and Mazda 6 staring at my taillights saying "WTF!!!!".

20. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    damn... lol wish i had turbo.... :D