Time For Turbo

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 93spade, Dec 6, 2008.

1. 93spade

93spade Newbie

Truck:
    From what I understand its just easier to get a 22ret than to turbo the 22re. my only problem is I have no clue where to get one?

any suggestions?

2. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    where do you live ?

3. makgreens

makgreens Newbie

dont know where ya heard that
    well if ur looking for engines that might be true but as far as a 2wd turbo its imposibe around here
    there is one i know of though....almost bought it but the body was crappy

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    imho its a waste of time to turbo a 22re.

you will be much happier with a 5,6,7m swap for less hassel and have better reliability.

the celining for the 2xr family is 200hp for reasonable money. a ton of money and a drag motor life can see 300+ but it will not be reliable.

the only difference between a 22re and 22ret is the head, and having a post 84 22r block. the later block has all the bosses for the turbo fittings. its really just the head that is unique. but you can have a better flowing head made at a machine shop then the 22ret head, which is just a 22re head with slightly bigger valves and a lil less swirl ports.

imho the best reliable "ultimate build 2xr" is a 20r head pre 84 22r block, dual t-chain, aluminum 22r rockers, and 1 or two side drafts. ITB's would be the shiznet but they are a major pain to tune.

5. 93spade

93spade Newbie

Truck:
    yeah if i could drop a supra engine in there i would without question but i dont have the money or skill to do that....

6. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    If you live where there is no emissions you can do pretty much what you want...

That's why i bought my 82 so I'm exempt! Dual sidedraft carbs make enough power to tickle my pickle!! So I'm a happy camper...

Turbo time will come for me eventually but, not right now... More R&D before I jump ship into boost land...

Best advice is reasearch, research, research... You'll save time and money after it's all said and done... Just ask V8titan! < no pun intended, well maybe a little... :D

7. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    If you can find an RTE, and if it's not worn out, it would be easy. Good luck. :) Building a turbo RE with reasonable hp levels (~200) is not that hard. A properly rebuilt stock bottom end with turbo pistons can handle that easily. Bigger injectors (7MGE stockers are almost the same as RTE injectors), turbo, manifold, and a Megasquirt to tune it, and you're off to a good start.

Sorry, but this is misinformation. The RTE head and the '85+ RE head are the same casting, with the same ports, same valves, same everything. The only difference is that the combustion chamber is machined larger on the turbo head, almost into a hemi shape, which lowers compression and unshrouds the valves somewhat.

8. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Good info! I agree. The 22re is not a waste of money to turbo. Will you get the same numbers as a 3 liter 6 cylinder? Not for the same money. But the upgrade is much simpler than an engine swap because of all of the extras. A swap would require new mounts, driveshaft, harness, ect. Well worth it, but a headache none the less...

9. 93spade

93spade Newbie

Truck:

10. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    Do you have an engine in mind? If you have one and know it's in good shape, go for it. Have fun and learn from it. Don't ask too much of an old engine and a used turbo though, they won't last. BTW, the lifespan of a CT20 is notoriously short, even if you find one that's still good don't be surprised if it fails.

My advice, if the engine is unknown, is to build a good foundation first. Proper bearing clearances, new oil pump, rod resizing, new rings etc. would go a long way toward this project lasting more than a week or two. A basic rebuild can be done for a reasonable price, and is worth every penny IMO.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Planning on staying at stock boost... that's what they all say. Once guys see how easy it is to turn it up and get a little more power, they will do it.

11. the bodj

the bodj Member

what is needed in total to make a 22re turbo? can you list off all the parts? sorry to bring back an old thread.

12. beckleyota

beckleyota Member

Truck:
    93 pickup xcab
    lets bring this thred back, 200 is a reliable daily number????? what setup would u need to acheve this??

13. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Not exactly... drive shaft should be the same (same trans give or take on the year, all w5x)
    Engine mounts again not true ... bolting is about 3/4 inch wider than the 2xr's
    If you have a totaled supra then pulling harness and matching a few wires up isn't that bad.

14. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

This is from one of my other forum posts.

22r[carb] 22re[efi] 22rec[efi+cali cert] 22rte [turbo] all use the w56 trans. (not seeming to include 22L[diesel] (as this seems to be listed separately for everything.)
    5/6/7mge engines all use the w56 or w58 trans[varying listings].
    Both trans are the same and swappable, will edit when found why the number changes.
    22re and the 5-7mge engine mounts are virtually identical with the bolt centers being approx 7/8 inch further apart. [couple different measurements on documented swaps]
    5-7mge engines are a total of about 1 inch taller than the carbed version of the 2xR.
    5-7mgte require the mge bell housing but seem to be the same trans code(this may be the variance of the w56 to w58 trans numbers).

Should you wish to turbo one of the non turbo engines the oil filter adapter from a Toyota Supra Turbo seems to fit all previously mentioned engines, which appears to have a direct oil feed line coming from it for the turbo.

Efi started in 1985 with the 22re and in 1980 with the 5mge
    5mge was also very confused about what type of ignition and drive belts it had also.
    For at least the celica-supra (from wiki)

* 1982 Supra 5M-GE had vacuum-advance distributors and 9-to-0 volt output AFMs.
    * 1982-1983 Supra 5M-GE had dual V-belt accessory drive, 65 amp alternator, square-tooth camshaft belts, 8.8:1 compression ratio, shallower oil pan, and round intake runners.
    * 1983-1985.5 Supra 5M-GE had 0-to-5 volt output AFM's and TCCS.
    * 1984-1985.5 Supra 5M-GE had 7-rib serpentine accessory drive belts, 60 amp alternator, round-tooth camshaft belts, 9.2:1 compression ratio, knock sensor, deeper oil pan, and D-shaped intake runners.

22r's were in mostly the pickups/suv's but did see the 82-84 celica and 81-? corona.
    5-7m's were found in 2000gt, celica, celica-supra, chaser, corona, cresseda, crown, soarer, supra.
    (side note the corona seems to have had the 2xR the xT and the xMGE motors even within the same generation depending on package and country.)