87 build ideas

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Fabi1044, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Fabi1044

Fabi1044 Newbie

Hi all. Im pretty new to the mini truck scene and wondering from people of good knowledge on what I can do to get that stance look! A nice squat and tuck would look amazing I think! Let me know please and thank you!

Attached Files:

2. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    welcome looks like you have a nice start

3. Fabi1044

Fabi1044 Newbie

thanks man! always looking to perfect though!

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Sheeeeeesh, adjustable camber requires adjustable A arms/camber plates.. something these trucks don't have outback.. so this is an interesting topic and goal! You're looking at 4 corner coil over conversion at least!

5. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    If you're really going for a stance look, like camber in the front and rear, it's gonna take a lot of work and money from what I've seen. I wanted the same thing for years so I totally get it. I've got 2" drop spindles from Belltech and 3" blocks in the rear, and the truck actually sits pretty damn level which I love. If you're going for more of a squat look, you'll probably need to drop the rear at least 3" lower than the front. The rear naturally sits about an inch higher than the front stock. I used to have 3" blocks in the rear with nothing done to the front and it was squatting. It wasn't what I was going for, but I couldn't get the 2 nuts on the torsion bars to budge and didn't have money for drop spindles or LCA's back then.

6. Fabi1044

Fabi1044 Newbie

That honestly doesn't bad at all. Maybe i'll start small like with the conversion and go from there. Thank you!

Erwin Merida likes this.
  7. Fabi1044

Fabi1044 Newbie

Do drop spindles naturally increase the poke of the wheel? I've heard lots of different things on drop spindles and i want to get some. Just wanting a clearer outlook on what I can do if thats thats the case. Gonna hold off on the camber which will be last resort of fitment becomes an issue.

8. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    I didn't notice any difference as far as poke before and after the spindles. I probably have some pictures of before and after with the same wheels.

9. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    So this was before the drop spindles

And this was after

10. Fabi1044

Fabi1044 Newbie

11. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    I'm super happy with how it came out.

12. RetirementToy

RetirementToy Member

Truck:
    1988 Toyota Extra Cab 2WD
    Welcome aboard.
    If you start going low, static at first ,you will in time want to bag your truck. So do a lot of research, collect the parts you want to use , & go from there!
    Do it right , & hopefully only once!
    Plan it out !!
    I started static , 2'' Beltech spindles, 2'' dropped rear springs , with 2'' angled blocks at the rear & Nitro shocks . All with the plan to go air ride!
    With the rear end hitting the frame,it was only a short time that the 8 piece notch went in. Than rear Firestone sleeve bags in front of the axle. Next Cando custom tubular a-arms & Slam bags at the front, As I wanted the front struts bars gone. The plan to lay frame.I made my 8 valve mam-folds, using Asco 3/8 '' nickel plated valves, than added a Airlift Auto Pilot air controller.
    Way lots of changes since than, but you get the idea!

13. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    If you want to camber it out in the rear put in a Supra or 'Vette IRS set-up. Seen it done in a lot of solid axle cars for racing purposes. Should be easier in a pickup.

14. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    IRS is a great a idea. That's the best way IMHO to upgrade the rear on these trucks. But if you don't weld yourself, you pay a nice penny for the kit and install. Plan it out like Truck Action said. And put a price tag on your build plan, you never know.. bagging your truck might be cheaper doing it now rather then going static and then bagging it.. it all depends on YOUR GOALS.

RetirementToy likes this.
  15. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Retirement Toy, aka TRUCK ACTION, and Erwin both make great points. I've only been lowered for roughly a month or so, and I'm already wondering what this thing would look like with another 3" worth of drop in the front and rear. Getting excited and just going for it is great, and I would personally never advise against it, but planning things out is definitely a wise decision IMO

16. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Plannig is first step in anything you do. I have a garage full of unplanned project parts.

17. RetirementToy

RetirementToy Member

Truck:
    1988 Toyota Extra Cab 2WD
    I have photo's every thing I've done to my truck from day one in files in my computer of my build , I also have a build supplier binder with every part & who from. I can find replacement parts easily & when someone asks where I got something I can send them a link.

SteveWippins likes this.
  18. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    That's definitely nice to have. I don't have nearly the amount of stuff done to my truck that you do, so for now it's all in my head lol