73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Oh no I'm not that cool

Perkolator and jetas like this.
  2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    How it's going running wise. Need to open up the carbs and go though it. Check the floats and a few other things. Dealing with my biggest battle of leaking fuel. I don't think I have pressure creep but I'm straight dead head right now so going to run a return. Checked my idle jet and compared it to a carb jet calculator. I have a 45 f8 now and for flexibility a 55 f8 was the go to base. Not to worried about other jets/emulsion tubes right now.

Other then that everything looks decent. Before within about 30 secs you couldn't open the radiator without having a decent amount of pressure. It takes it getting some good heat in it before it has any now. Start up is easier even with the leaking carbs. I can have it idling on the first start with only holding the gas for a few seconds. Also stuff like kicking on the radiator fan was killing my idle but not anymore. Maybe one day I'll be back to no help quick fire ups.

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Made it to work today. Got insurance on her yesterday washed her up and messed with the carbs. Went decent but could still use alot of work. Anyway some glam shots. IMG_20230512_104007.jpg IMG_20230512_104012.jpg IMG_20230512_104010.jpg IMG_20230512_104014.jpg IMG_20230512_104306.jpg

_Quickfox and jetas like this.
  4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Best part of work today was clearing out the bed. IMG_20230512_154710.jpg

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The pedal I ordered is already junk. Installed it and put a decent bit of tension for the return. I wear work boots most of the time so wanted something that took some force. After a few presses the gears strip. Oh well. The cable worked out so need to mod the pedal to become stronger, make my own, or buy from a decent brand with good engineering. One step forward and two steps back.

Update I drilled an 1/8th inch through hole in the shaft to run 1/8th inch weld rod threw it to make it work. IMG_20230515_182114.jpg IMG_20230515_182109.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got my idle jets yesterday. I got f8 60's when I first looked up baseline I had put in the wrong displacement. Anyway put them in yesterday and didn't solve my main issue of after fires. Listening to it it sounded really rough. Start thinking better check the lash might have a valve hanging open. Was to hot for me to do it then, so this morning I go at it. Nothing was tight so I'm thinking I'll have to break out the compression tester. Button her up and try running it again. Couldn't even get it started. Look under the hood ready to start pulling plugs and 2 plug wires fell off. The performance distributer live wires are really short and I think I've mostly been dealing with them backing off. After finding that out I get it fired up without much trouble.

The jets did help me get in the ballpark. I've been dealing with getting to something like 14.7 being hard to obtain. I think for most part I was way to far out on the screw and not much metering was happening. I would do something like be at baseline on the screw and do some pretty big turns and barely change my afr's and really unsteady. Now I'm seeing much bigger changes with very small turns. Still some stuff to go over. The afr is not rock soild and bounces up and down more then I think it should.

On another note the other week I spent time trying to figure out why exactly they were leaking. First tried tightening up the secondary venturi. Can't say forsure that did anything but the next day I went in the bowls. Float levels were good. Went ahead and threw in my needles but without the seats. Big big big mistake. Start her up and I'm seeing 10's on afr. At this point nothing had clicked yet. I start turning down the idle speed screw and even though I was still cold I turn in the mixture screws. Maybe another 15 seconds later I noticed it was a waterfall of gas out the carbs. Replaced the seats and that was over. After all that I'm not leaking anymore.

A little video. Blew some baffling lose on my muffler with the afterfires. You might hear that. Lol

Last edited: May 27, 2023
    _Quickfox likes this.