Engine removal ?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by allirtu, Mar 17, 2023.

1. allirtu

allirtu Newbie

I plan on pulling my engine during the summer to z my frame and triangulate my lowers. Some pointers or heads up would be appreciated

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Drain all the fluids, and pull the trans and engine together. Not that hard. Bag and tag all the shit, and take clear pictures prior to disassembling

Ponyryd likes this.
  3. redman

redman Enthusiast

Yes, take a Lot of Pictures. Even of the things that look trivial. When putting back together there's always something your not sure about, especially if much time passes before reassembly.

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Something that works great for me is inserting every bolt back where it came out of when removing all the accessories. everything from the sway bar bolts, the drive shaft bolts, all the mounting bolts even the timing cover bolts if you get that far into it.. I've lost bags before. Even lost some bolts using a divided tray.. for me this method works best.

Motor and tranny together a big plus. Only 4 bolts at the cross member and 2 connectors.
    Also, plan on replacing anything that will make this the first and last time you pull the engine. (Seals, damaged/missing hardware, holes in cab)

Also, dnt for get to rattle can those hard to get areas while the block is out.go over electrical harnesses, mines had a melting o2 harness laying on the exhaust topside. Take the hood off, makes it easier to position your hoist to center the weight.

jetas likes this.
  5. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Even with the fluids drained you get a bit of drainage out the tranny when you tilt that puppy, residuals y'know.
    Stuff an old tranny yoke in there (if you have one or can borrow one), it helps. Use a little bailin' wyar to hold it in or it could slip out and nagate the effort. If you can't source a yoke try putting a plastic bag around the toke cup and duct tape it in place.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Heard a solo cup works.

also if you dont have one of those load leveling things for the hoist, use a ratchet strap to lift the end of the trans up

7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    I just stuff a shop rag into the tail shaft and wrap with duct tape.

jetas likes this.