1976 Hilux "Golden Finch"

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Lofty, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Lofty

Lofty Member

Truck:
    76 Trucc
    Hey all, I just picked this up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy to be here. Just picked up some dorky 15x8 American Racing wheels for this. Will post pics later.

Perkolator likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dang that thing looks good. Im wanting to get some Keystones for mine too in the future. Welcome to TM!

Lofty likes this.
  3. Lofty

Lofty Member

Truck:
    76 Trucc
    Just picked these up, 15x8 -20.... I don't think these are going to fit very well. What a disappointment. Im thinking either 0 offset would work or 15x7. Shame.

[​IMG] 20230314_175308.jpg

Attached Files:

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea a 8" wide wheel needs atleast a 0 or more positive offset

5. Lofty

Lofty Member

Truck:
    76 Trucc
    Thanks man, I was searching all day and wasn't able to find this information. Guess I'll be flipping these, even though they would be cool!

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Where are you located?

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Somewhere cold by the looks of it :silly:

8. Lofty

Lofty Member

Truck:
    76 Trucc
    LOL both of you are correct. Wisconsin. I need to add info in my profile.

9. Lofty

Lofty Member

Truck:
    76 Trucc
    Just out here ruining my truck.
    Fender mirrors and super jdm yellow tint.

Have people on my socials telling me they hate the mirrors already.
    Good.
    Have new wheels coming everything supply chain wise seems fcked up since pandemic. Month + for both my wheels and tires due to shipping errors or other dumb excuses.

Have some issues with the truck that I need to take care of. She runs a bit hot. Doesn't have a shroud on an aluminum radiator. Hope the aluminum rad isnt plugged up like my R32 was. Gonna flush the coolant and fab up a shroud. I really need to fix all the jacked up fuel lines and THREE fuel pumps this truck has. Ugh. What a night mare. 20230414_194444-min.jpg 20230414_194437-min.jpg 20230414_194429-min.jpg

Need to thank Ivey for this one also
    04E70EF1-97CF-421D-B571-70D093AA5D88 (1).jpeg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The mirrors aint that bad. People are always gonna talk shit about something they aint used to seeing

83pickup and Lofty like this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Those mirrors are oem style. If you pull up the Japanese brochure you'll see those exact ones. Placement looks about spot on. To me like a lot of 70s Japanese mini trucks and cars they have the look of the 2000gt-r. You always see that car with fender mirrors and looks great. I would be interested to see their rig and how good of styling they have.

83pickup and Lofty like this.
  12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I was guna say they look like those pics from the over seas trucks

13. Lofty

Lofty Member

Truck:
    76 Trucc
    I looked at the brochures very closely to mount them lol. I also went out of my way to find the Thailand connection reproductions lol. I think anything from the 70s with quad circle glass lights looks great with them.
    Appreciate the kind words gents.
    Today I'm working on redoing the exhaust because it has a flowmaster 40 just dumping under the truck lol.

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Your wheel situation you might want to hit them up in the next month and ask again if nothing happens. I just delt with this with my custom wheels. I waited a soild 6 months before even asking whats up. Get 3 more months from the dealer. 3 months rolls around and get a message saying oh you're wheel specs don't match the car can you confirm you want these. I hit them up knowing it's not a simple change asking if the wheels where made and could I cancel. They give me the run around from the vendor saying can't wheels are shipped. I change my tone a bit and say I need to know exactly where the wheels are at. Also ask to look into some form of compensation. Next message is hey the wheels are in the vendors warehouse getting put on the pallet right now. They give me 100 back and got my wheels like 2 weeks later.

I'll good ahead and say who the dealer was, fitment industry. They weren't really to blame. The wheels do have a date code the day after I ordered. So it's not like they waited around to get the order in. Work dropped the ball. When I was looking into it welded 2 piece wheels it only took about 1 month to make. With most people getting there wheels in under 5 months.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  15. Lofty

Lofty Member

Truck:
    76 Trucc
    So I'm getting refinished oem wheels and they keep apparently failing the quality checks... after they thought they had them in stock. They are saying I should get them next week.

Then I ordered 4 tires and was only sent 2...... I try to not be a Karen but these companies need to get their shit together.

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Fucked up that you have to ask for these details before ordering or just order and literally wait til you get your stuff

Lofty likes this.
  17. Lofty

Lofty Member

Truck:
    76 Trucc
    Agreed man.

Fixed the flowmaster that was just randomly burning my vampire clipped tail lights.. great.

Honestly there was a flowmaster 40 series on here and they go for 120$

I had a long day and for reasons I couldn't put it back on after I shopped the exhaust shorter. Looks like the muffler shop flared the exhaust. I got an exhaust expander from oreilly and blew it up in the exhaust lol. On return I saw this shitty muffler for 60$ that actually fit on the OD of the exhaust instead of the ID of the exhaust. It honestly sounds better than the flowmaster.
    I then routed the exhaust out the side because I decided I was going to keep the aftermarket rear bumper on this for pulling my 96 yamaha blaster II (yellow and pink also lol) 20230415_154606-min.jpg 20230415_154449-min.jpg 20230415_154436-min.jpg

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hows it sound? Been curious of a how a chambered muffler would sound

19. Lofty

Lofty Member

Truck:
    76 Trucc
    It's better than the flowmaster 40 to be honest. I've had a a few 22rs and it's so hard to make these things sound "good".

I was driving around on just a resonator with this and it sounded like a 350z straight piped LOL. So bad.

Still has a little rasp but the flowmaster rasp sounded like... a coffee can? Hard to explain.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  20. Lofty

Lofty Member

Truck:
    76 Trucc
    It's been a long week. Hate rust.

Once both sides are done it's getting new vinyl floor tc1.jpg tc2.jpg tc3.jpg tc4.jpg tc5.jpg tc6.jpg tc7.jpg

Perkolator and Erwin Merida like this.