Service fluids?

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Frank Nick, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

What fluids do y’all use in your 22 re?
    Engine oil what weight?
    Anti freeze green stuff?
    Manual transmission oil what weight?
    Synthetics oils.
    Thanks y’all.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Bout to start up a whole ass debate here lol.

-Engine oil- 10/30. conventional/synth/blend dont matter, its getting burned and mixed with fuel anyway
    -Antifreeze- the shit the in the prestone jug
    -Trans/diff- Still dont have one im happy with. Best off the shelf stuff i've used so far that was reasonably priced was Valvoline 75/90

3. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

Thanks for the info. I been working on this truck for almost a year. Figured I would Change all the fluids. Just seeing what y’all were using.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Worst comes to worst just google what the OEM fluids were and use those and adjust weights as needed.

5. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

I have a chiltons manual. I think the info was in there. Was curious to see what y’all did on your trucks. Not many people on here anymore. I noticed you and a few others reply. Is that your truck on your cover pic?

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea its not as active here like it used to be. A lot of people prefer facebook or instagram. I really like forums though, grew up using em.

and yes sir that is my truck. Check out my build thread in the early Hilux section

7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    I’m a Mobil 1 guy. My 1979 Toyota mini motorhome runs synthetic in everything.
    20-50 in the engine, 75-90 in the transmission and 75-140 in the axle.

I’ve used both dino and synthetic, and found viscosity more durable with the synthetic.

I just completed my annual vacation which involves driving 922 miles (1 way) from Raleigh NC to Hampton NH. My total travel time was 24 hours with 17 of those hours actually moving, according to GPS. Same for my return trip home. That’s a lot of high temperature driving. Never had any problems with overheating or excessive oil consumption. FWIW Fred.

Ponyryd, Erwin Merida and jetas like this.
  8. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Mine came with Amsoil 0/20 in the engine for some reason, I’ll be switching to 10/30 in the spring. As for trans and gear oil I will likely use whatever I have handy that I have leftover from work, which is Pennzoil 80/90, but I may just leave it, not really big on maintenance as my truck sees pretty limited use, maybe 3,000km/year.

9. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

Thanks!!!!

Ponyryd likes this.