What did you do to your mini this week ?

Discussion in 'Test Area' started by The Jewish Guy, May 22, 2013.

1. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Too slow?? Under geared for the tires? Or stock gears with oversize tires? My '81 4X was slow by car standards, but could get up to highway speeds on the ramp and held with traffic no problems.
    Now, my ('86) 4Runner, that's slow. I believe the preious owner, who did a head gasket change, put the thing together without knowing how to set the proper cam timing. I'll fix that as soon as this right shoulder get's fixed.
    The 'Yota 4Xs aren't really slow, unless they have problems.

Get a list of mods done, it'll give you an idea of what you're getting into if you do get the truck.

_Quickfox likes this.
  2. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Fer sure fer sure Deuce!! I will buy almost any toyota p/u..I once bought a t-boned '81 that didn't run (did get it to!). I don't get rid of broken pieces of plastic, brake slaves, worn out pedal pads or valve springs..there's kinda something wrong with me. If it says toyota on it, but I need space and it's a part nobody wants, I'll cut my favorite section out.

**trigger warning opinion facts ahead**

Anything with a 20or22r is slow even with a turbo and everything going for you, especially with big tires. My 77 would do the ton tho (that means 100mph in cafè racer; pinkies up), fast enough but it was not quick by any standard; fun/playful the 20r is a happy motor if ur use to the 22r are more luggish.

3rz or 1uz swap let's get it that's quick

I soon gathered that he ment "modern family vehicle" that was also a toyota 4x4 truck (this time with a name..it's taco) > single cab rock crawler.

Never been a 4x4 guy, but somehow I'll have three now; what the hey? I'm mean for real, I went out of my way to get a 2wd '05 4runner, because I have no use for front axles connected to my 2uz.

So quick update, I'm running down to crunch time; don't have a space rn for all of this stuff like rn rn issues. But soon when I figure things out I'll post some pics of the salvage yard ^_^

-Aaron

Also maybe in a different thread :waytogo:

3. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    anything with a 20/22R is slow, sure, but those engines were built for economy and reliability. How many engines have you had that will take the abuse an "R" series will take? 22R is right up there with good diesel engines.
    If you want faster with a 22R? Learn to use the torque band. Short shifting gets you to 60 faster than wasting time spinning up the engine. 22R is great for crawling as it can handle being bogged under 500rpm.

_Quickfox likes this.
  4. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    On the actual note of what I did to my mini this week: I rewired my starter. I was having trouble with the starter triggering, so I re did it (I found 3 or 4 splices in the wire from the ignition to the starter relay; possibly from a previous security system). I put in a new wire from ignition to starter, new cable from Battery to starter, and now: BOOM! starts easily and readily.

Erwin Merida and _Quickfox like this.
  5. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

The 2uz, or 1uz for that matter, def handle abuse; the BPs in my Miatas handle silly abuse..point is I thought it was funny he said "moar reliable than a 22r" essentially, which is just laughable; I think we agree.

20/22r hybrids, I didn't even mention, can be reasonably quick actually, hybrid power :verdict_in:

And since we still taking cheap shots I put my mc helmet on the mini pictured as my profile thumbnail, which is more mini then some ppl I could mention ^^^

The white '78 I made big plans for; the '86 4runner I made fun of; the '87 4×4 I made a payment on :)

Lucy :love: I just looked at..what else, oh! The Harley I rode, which is as far as I can tell lower then what you got, auto boy. :ROFL: Let's try to let ppl have a nice time fellas; glad you got it all figured out Justin.

*edit 'u kno wats less reliable then a p/u? A Harley; worth it tho..'

**edit edit #put the mini back i..okay I'm done

***okay okay one more: sport truck < mini truck

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    Erwin Merida and Toyotashack like this.
  6. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Well for me now that 2022 Show Season ended, I made the list of my annual winter work

1) Remove the front bumper /valance for repair & paint work
    2) Remove the passenger side door panel to change two wires that got reversed
    3) Remove the divers side door panel & the power mirror for paint work on the door
    4) Repair & paint work @ rear drives side
    5) Remove drives seat & lower dash panel for under dash work
    6) Replace front & rear disk brake pads & front Willwod rotors, than readjust the e-brake

Hope to have all done by 2023 Show Season start

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    Erwin Merida, _Quickfox and jetas like this.
  7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Drove mine around the block and parked it in front of the house for a few hours. I miss driving it, prob wont drive it til next week, weather is guna suck this week

8. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Put a couple coats of wax on, getting cold here so gotta swap out the wheels, buy a cover and stick it next to the house till spring, probably gonna do that this weekend.

Erwin Merida, _Quickfox and jetas like this.
  9. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    I run my Hilux on biodiesel which has a nasty habit of eating the fuel lines so they have to be replaced every couple of years. Just replaced all the rubber lines with nylon hard lines, which are a little different to work with. To bend the line slip a spring over the line heat it with boiling water bend then dunk it in cold water. To fit on a barb coat the barb in motor oil then heat the line with a gas cigar lighter and push on when it cools it shrinks and you don't even need a hose clamp. Does take a bit of practice to get the heat right. I had a Peugeot 405 that I drove on bio for around 15 years that had these nylon fuel lines never deteriorated at all. SO hopefully I will never have to replace the lines again.

10. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Got mine covered, swapped wheels and made up a hard bed cover from some old panels so the bed won’t fill with snow, duct taped it to the plastic bedliner sides so it should be pretty solid for the winter. Thinking I may ditch the Toyota plastic liner and have a spray-in liner installed next year, planning to cut out the Toyota lettering at the front of the bed and stick it to the bed before the spray goes on. That’s it for me this year until probably March at the earliest, we got snow a day after I covered it, and it’s snowing again tonight, salt trucks were out already salting my street and it had only been snowing for 3 hours…it was slick though.

11. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Well I mentioned a 4x4, it has arrived. I got a thing, and did a thing! Never have gotten that pic of the sleeper cab my buddy has; the minis are not all in one place yet, but we're getting there.

Get ready for an 're to r' thread, and possibly a post on re parts available. As much as I think it would be cool to do standalone re stuff I don't need two sets of efi junk.

The truck below has a DNJ head..and plastic timing guides; there are worse things in life.

How wild would it be to have factory a/c AND power steering? Also may have some a/c components fs, wait no that's a bad idea..

Today on my mini cleaned unplugged lots of things, lots more to go.

20230521_180615.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2023
    Ponyryd and Erwin Merida like this.
  12. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    After my road trip to Relaxin ' On The River, in WA, I have a few repairs to make, first one to cut the negative battery cable end so will clamp tighter , done .
    Next repair the the train horns that got damage hitting a gas station fill plates that I did not see, even at ride height of 4.5 , & these are up inside the frame.
    Found could not be repaired ,so new ones on the work bench & I sectioned the mounting bracket so would sit up higher. Photos under Train Horn Reair
    Next will be change out all the dash lights that are LED'S , have one flickering , so will change them all, as is a pain to remove the cluster.
    That should take care of things for a while!!

jetas likes this.
  13. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Train horn repair/replacement is finished, I sectioned the bracket to get the horns a little higher , & added a gusset to the bracket so that the whole bracket can not flex!

Erwin Merida likes this.
  14. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
  15. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    I did a minor mod to the grill it turned out sweet.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the factory grill
    [​IMG]

Ponyryd, 83pickup, _Quickfox and 2 others like this.
  16. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Nice delete! Subtle, classic, I like it.

17. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    Boy, I think I have the stupidest thing I've done this week... :verdict_in::duh:

So, about 3 weeks prior to about two days ago, I pulled off the air filter + housing for the first time ever, all went smooth. My own thoughts provoked me into putting a napkin over the carburetor to prevent anything from drifting down in the holes? Barrels? whatever the term might be where the fuel goes into too (this is important later on) Noted the fuel level on the sight glass was a bit low, but I didn't touch it since these trucks have electric carburetors for emissions or something along those lines, won't be fiddling with it in that case unless someone is really good at helping me with Asisin carbs-anywho, didn't see anything out of the blue so I buttoned it back up and went on my way... until about three days ago.
    I know I'm decent enough at driving this truck to (mostly) know what is what, so I was surprised to find it having some unusual acceleration issues at throttle. Even more concerning was it shutting off on the main road unexpectedly! Luckily it fired back up and I went on my way very warily. So, I decided to look at the plugs and see what they were telling me; nothing unusual except some fouling and oiliness. Replaced them and gave the plug wires some dielectric grease as a treat for future me, and I decided why not to pull off the air filter housing...
    Lo and behold, I found that same napkin still on the carburetor and thankfully all in one piece too!!! :silly: Plucked it out, think I'll frame it for the dumbest thing I've done auto related to date...

Ponyryd, _Quickfox and Erwin Merida like this.
  18. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Hahahahaha

83pickup likes this.
  19. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Sorta amazing it held up :eyecrazy:

83pickup likes this.
  20. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    I used one of those Bounty towels as it was the only napkin thing i had on hand over there. Must be darn strong to resist the vacuum of the venturis and the engine! Learned my lesson on this one to double-check my work. :doah:

_Quickfox likes this.