1966 Stout RK41 disc brake conversion.

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Smalls858, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Smalls858

Smalls858 Newbie

I’m trying to do a disc brake conversion on my 1966 Stout. I picked up some knuckles from a 1980 pickup. I’m looking to replace both the upper and lower ball joints, but I’m having problems finding the right upper ball joints that has the larger shank and the same stout bolt pattern. for the lower ball I believe I just need the 1980 one and I have to drill out the holes on the stout a little bit. I’m also woundering what the standard caster angle is on the Stout, the 75-78 Toyota pickup and the 79-83. From what I read the 79-83 have 1.5* negative caster, so when swap them side to side I’ll end up with 1.5* positive caster and do I even need to swap them sided to side if I’m reusing the stout steering arm? I also believe I need to pickup a 79-83 brake booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve. Any help or insight would be awesome!

2. David Eidson

David Eidson Member

Conducting a disc brake conversion on your 1966 Stout by using 1980 pickup knuckles is a commendable upgrade. However, encountering challenges finding the right upper ball joints with a larger shank and the appropriate Stout bolt pattern can be frustrating. To address this issue, consider exploring custom fabrication or machining services. Skilled professionals can modify or adapt existing ball joints to match the required specifications, ensuring compatibility with the Stout's unique bolt pattern. Consult with local machine shops or automotive customization experts who specialize in retrofitting components for vintage vehicles. Additionally, engage with online forums or communities dedicated to classic car modifications, seeking advice from enthusiasts who may have encountered similar challenges and can offer valuable insights or alternative solutions to facilitate a successful disc brake conversion on your 1966 Stout.

3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I would adopt the entire system from the newer truck from MC to disc brake. New lines and definitely keeping the proportioning valve. You can even include a remote bias controller to adjust and fine tune front/back pressure. When it comes to the ball joints, take measurements and find a different ball joint that matches.. it might not even come from a Toyota.. it's not a plug and play application. Try using the search option, I believe I've read someone do this swap on here before..

4. David Eidson

David Eidson Member

To upgrade your truck's braking system to discs, adopt the entire system from a newer model, ensuring proper lines and retaining the proportioning valve. Integrate a remote bias controller for fine-tuning front/back pressure. For ball joints, measure and search for compatible alternatives; they may not necessarily be from a Toyota. Given the custom nature of the swap, using the search option in relevant forums for detailed experiences and guidance from those who have successfully executed a similar conversion is valuable. It's crucial to adapt and modify components carefully to achieve optimal performance in this non-plug-and-play application.

5. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Yea what he said, which is what I said.. but he said it again for some reason. Just in case you didn't hear it..

:runaway: