18RC with Weber stalling when slowing down

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Ross McCredy, Aug 1, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Hi guys,

Another noobie question from me... I had a weber carb installed last fall and the truck has been running well all summer, until last night when I took it out. I stalled at the first stop sign; didn't think too much of it, but then it continued to stall when slowing down and eventually just had to head home.

Carb IMG_5162.jpeg seems to idle ok, but I noticed fuel is only squirting into one side of the carb bowl, not normal, correct? And easy way to clean this out? I admit I don't know much about these carbs, would it be worth having my local shop tune it up?

Thanks for any info/help!

2. northoak

northoak Member

Hey there I too have been troubeshooting an 18rc with a weber. Does it die at idle as well or just when braking? Id suspect a leaky brake booster if my rig was stalling when stopping. Also out of curiosity What idle jet are you running? What is your timing like? I've been having a hell of a time trying to get mine to run right.

3. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Hi guys, so I took the truck to my mechanic and he believes the issue is the intake manifold gasket. The issue is we cannot find one anywhere! Does anyone know where to get one for a 1974 Hilux 18rc? there is one type on RockAuto but seems to be the incorrect size and the one that would fit is sold out.

Any suggestions would be great!

4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    The Weber 32/36 manifold adapters are known to leak. Especially the stacked type. If you have a vacuum gage attach it to a manifold vacuum source. With engine at idle use spray silicone around all the carburetor gasket surfaces. If the vacuum increases the carb or adapter gaskets are leaking.
    If you don’t have a vacuum gage, an increase in idle speed will mean the same thing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    As for fuel coming out of one side? The piece you have circled is the accellerator pump nozzle. Should spray into the primary throat on a progressive carb. Don't need a pool of fuel on the secondary when it opens at 70% throttle.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Is there enough fuel getting to the bowl? Look into the rectangular slot on the left in the image you posted above, you should see fuel there.

Does it have a manual or electric choke and are you letting it warm up for a bit before driving it? My truck ran like shit before i adjusted the choke especially if i didnt give it a couple of minutes running before actually driving it.

It could also need some adjustment since it ran fine during summer. Colder air means more oxygen requiring more fuel or it will lean out and possibly die. Although it would have to have been insanely lean to begin with in order for this to happen.