Help me with my weekend drag racing daily

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by F87pickup, Jul 24, 2022.

1. F87pickup

F87pickup Newbie

I have a 1986 Toyota pickup 2wd, at the moment it’s got the old 22r that I was planning on putting a big cam in and upgrading a bit, but I’ve also been thinking about rotary swapping it.
    I’d like to drag race it as well as drive it as my only car, and I’m starting to think that the 22r isn’t going to be as fun or as fast as I was hoping. Does anyone know if I can squeeze some more power out of the 22r so I could potentially gap someone or put down a ok time at the drag strip?

The swap I was most interested in is a rotary swap, I’m thinking a cab’d 13b and I was wondering if anybody has any idea what I’d need to do this, and does anyone have any experience with rotary’s or this swap specifically? pls help, thx

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Some guys have had good luck with going turbo. Maybe close to 250hp.

If you want a reliable daily id stray away from a rotary, theres a reason why people swap them out. They're awesome engines just high maintenance.

a popular swap more recently has been that damn Honda engine that guys have been slapping turbos on and making 500hp with little to no engine work

David Eidson and F87pickup like this.
  3. F87pickup

F87pickup Newbie

Thanks for the response, what are your recommendations? What does it look like in terms of cost and work to do the Honda swap, do you know how much support there is? I’m looking for something a bit different for my build and I want to stay carbureted cause that’s what I’m most comfortable with, that’s why I thought rotary. What are your thoughts? Thanks again for the help.

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I second the pass on the rotary. Gota swap seals every 60k miles..

I'd (5.0/5.8) Windsor swap the thing with mild mods and call it a day. You can drop one in with mounts from NWOR matted to a t5 and an explorer rear end. Done.

Or, you can always 1uzfe swap it like @yotarip. There another great example from @Mr.Mini_4.0, check out there build threads!

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Look up Honda K24 swaps. Not guna be the cheapest option but sounds like its a good candidate

F87pickup and Erwin Merida like this.
  6. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Real good candidate. Same displacement, twice the power naturally and an entire aftermarket community to back it up..

F87pickup likes this.
  7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Only thing about that is no automatic option for rwd from factory. If manual is his thing cd009 would be the cheapest best route. About 6k for everything including a brand new transmission.

If you want rotary get the rotary truck. That thing is awesome. One of the more unique looking early minis.

F87pickup likes this.
  8. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    what state do you live in? you can put whatever engine you want in your truck, but getting it registered may be tricky depending on where you live.

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Throwing this up here to get some idea of what a 22r can do. With the right setup and driver they are pretty quick. All motor the record is in the 12's I think. You are paying a good bit of money though. In parts you're near 5k us. I noticed you're in Canada. With a high compression build using high octain gas guys are near 250hp. I think that number was at the crank though. Even a mild build is fun. Hell driving the piss out of a stock engine is fun. Not everyone will find it worth it though if they just look at the dollars to hp.

Thats an 11.6 with nitrous.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Honestly i feel thats the biggest issue with the 22r/e and high hp, $ per hp isnt worth it

Erwin Merida likes this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    2jzge would be a really good option. If you have a w55 already you just need the bell housing. It's probably going to cost more then a complete engine though. The ge is just over 500 dollars in the states for a complete engine and ecu. Stock is about 215hp at the crank. The ge is capable of big numbers. It has the best flowing head of the jz line. Same block as the gte just different rods, and pistons. Stock internals with boost it can handle 350hp. Maybe 450hp if you really want to push it. The w55 is a little week for those numbers but guys have took it higher and survived. Tons of other transmission options for it to. It's definitely a good platform to look into if you want to get competitive.

F87pickup likes this.
  12. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Windsor block (5.0/5.8,carb'd) with t5 nd explorer rear end(posi), trick flow top end.. ~480hp ...maybe 4k

1uzfe, w58 with an explorer rear end, Bell housing/clutch kit with a good harness/ECU ~250hp ..around 4k. Start adding cams(1k, 4cams) supercharger and it can jump up quick!

Both reliable, both done plenty of times, both fun as hell. For a tru kswap, your talking about droppin about 7k after engine management.. that's no mods yet for that sensor sensitive engine. That's how much was spent on integras and hatches, without custom adapter plates or clutch kits..

In the end it's up to you! Have fun with the build, that way you enjoy the drive later! #endlesspossibilities

F87pickup likes this.
  13. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Toyota 2AR engine is 2.7L all-alloy, can make some stupid power... have you got deep pockets?

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Your wallet is going to be the deciding factor for a swap. Ive been wanting to do a BEAMS swap but no budget for that.

F87pickup likes this.
  15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Don't forget safety equipment. If you looking for more then a few hundred hp you'll probably going to be to fast to run without a cage.

Erwin Merida and F87pickup like this.
  16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I would do that sooner then later with the cost of motors going up. Especially when the altezza becomes available to import.

jetas likes this.
  17. F87pickup

F87pickup Newbie

Thanks everyone for the help, I’m a student and fairly poor at the moment so this is going to be a ongoing project for me. I’m planning on buying an engine or a block and slowly building it and the truck when I have the money. I’m a big fan of the Toyota engine swaps, specifically the 1uz, and 2jz, but I’m also a big fan of the k20a. V8s are pretty terrible on gas when daily driving as well as the rotary so I might steer clear of those.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The 2jz is no good on gas. My is300 only does about 16 in the city. That's mostly because my drive time is less then the time I spend to warm up the car in the morning though. The official claim is 18 or 19 city. Also alot of toyota/lexus engines have immobilizers tied to the ECU. Something like your 01 is300 2jzge will need the key that is programmed for the car. From what I remember it's pretty much impossible to reprogram another key without the master on a 01. As far as I know this is true for any Toyota with an immobilizer before 01.

F87pickup likes this.
  19. F87pickup

F87pickup Newbie

That’s not great but also not bad. what’s the best option for power and fuel efficiency? What would a 2j swap look like in terms of cost and parts needed? It’s my favorite option at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  20. F87pickup

F87pickup Newbie

is it possible to use my w56 and Toyota axle with a 1uz?