73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Was looking over the truck and realizing I really need to sand it down and get some sealer on the cab. Don't want to rust the new panels out. Really motivated now because I'm being told I have to move one of the rides from the normal parking spot at home. Super dumb but now I don't have to worry about moving the daily when I do that. Just someone else's ride that shouldn't be there anyway.

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    If you're looking for arp head studs I recommend Summit for them. Was looking at lce and I'm pretty sure they unpack it and sell individually. Got that idea after seeing them sell the the little arp lube packets along side the studs. Also you'll be paying something like 30 dollars more then Summit. And you probably dont get everything. Sometimes lce is good but they are some of the worst resellers. Avoid stuff you can buy elsewhere. I got my studs in 4 days including the weekend from Summit.

Toyotashack, jetas and Erwin Merida like this.
  3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Heck yeah Summit FTW! I've ordered things from Summit in the past and it arrived so quick that it must have been loaded onto the truck before I completed the purchase, lol.

Pearce likes this.
  4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Ordered a headgasket from lce and it arrived torn open and bent a little. Before I sent a customer service request I had put it up a photo on an Instagram story and tagged them. When I was working today I get a call for someone not in my phone. I'm a big time phone screener so normally will not answer. Even less likely at work. I look at the location and see Lake Havana AZ so I like damn lce is actually calling? Pick up and guys like hey saw the photo. Asked a couple questions and was sent another one out. That was cool.

I think this is worth it to point out that something like their listed timing cover gasket or intake might say it will be felpro but it might mahle and maybe even something else. I personally have no real preference so not a big deal but others may feel strongly for one.

If you don't know Instagram or Twitter can be a good source for speedy and good customer service. Even if it's an account with 0 follower and no other post as long as it's a public account they should be worried about someone talking about a bad experience. Might even have a good experience with a private one but I never tried. Most want to protect their image on big social media. Now I'm not sure if you get a great result if you talk major shit.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Last thing going to post up the arp directions because it can clear up some confusion like I had. One thing I always read is arp headbolts can be torqued to 90. Well this is true not unless you torque it down to the same torque spec when it is bored out. Not something commonly mentioned when talking about arp bolts.

This is not mentioned in the directions. The owner of doa mentioned in an old post on a offroad forum that the bolt restricted oil flow because of a oil needing to travel between it. They did change them at some point and the studs taper down to correct this from my understanding. This was something that made me hesitate to buy them in the first place.

This also might not be said on the directions but a rep or maybe even it was the owner of arp said half turn back on your studs. I forgot and misunderstood exactly what he ment but its something along the lines of preventing to stud driving into the block and messing with the torque spec.

I'll post up the directions later when I find the box. Really just to tired to even look for them right now.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
  7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Guess I got to hit the Napa machine shop in town. The place I ordered a new head from said they had no stock. I want to see if they can build my spare head. I've been chilling on lce 20r stage 5 valves and seats along with brass guilds, duel springs and chromoly hardware for 2 years now. The only thing is I need valve reliefs cut in the pistons. I'm only running cast now and not sure if that's possible. Thinking I'll find another early 22r for the bottom end and build that with new goodies.

jetas likes this.
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Looked into the general rule of cutting valve reliefs. You can do it on cast but their are factors on how far is safe. Usually smaller then .050. I don't think that will do me. The tool is a little expensive to do it myself to see. Throwing up the idea of running a 20r again for a minute while I go back into build mode. Just seems a little easier to find. Then again I really want to keep the set up I have now until the big boy build next year.

9. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Not around here. Hardly ever see 20R for sale. Hardly see early 22R (double roller timing chain) for sale either. It's almost as though ALL the 20Rs were bought up to make hybrids out of ALL the early 22R and nobody sells theirs since I never see hybrids for sale...

Perkolator and Erwin Merida like this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Washington has a lot of wheelers and interest in the toyota pickup. Good bit of guys parking pickups out here. This one just sold today but was up for over a weak.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/396676435452753/

11. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    Maybe that's where all our 20R are going or went...

12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I think for California they are heading south. You can see guys hauling truck on trucks along with spare parts across the border all the time. I like to think if those guys don't buy it the price must be really far off. They buy pretty much anything for top dollar.

13. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Yea not a lot of 20r stuff that's worth mentioning down in So Cal. Believe it or not, a lot of trucks have gone to Africa.. Egypt to my knowledge. I saw salvage yards loading up to 12 trucks at a time in a 45 ft container for export. So, I really see why there's an inflation in prices. It will only get worse with time..

14. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    That's possible...

Nah... it's more fun blaming you guys up north.:lol::lol::lol:

15. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    I'm guessing there aren't many 20R anywhere since none of the big companies makes parts for them not even the usual stuff like headers. Which really sucks for me because I'd like to get a smog legal header for my 79 Celica...

Erwin Merida likes this.
  16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    After the whole "Cash for Clunkers" thing years ago there hasnt been much of anything good in the JY local to here. There was a shit ton of old yotas and nissans but not no more

17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I feel like it's one of the vehicles that survived it pretty well compared to something like the first gen Ford Taurus.

A lot of people interested in collecting are junk from outside the country. Funny when you see someone upset at guys buying them all up like in the Facebook groups.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    My cylinder head from @sirdeuce arrived today. Thank you again. Now to see what all I have to do to actually use it. Not planning on rushing anything. I'm thinking of getting a more suited cam for the head. Right now my valves are much closer then they should be. A bigger cam and valves is not going to help that. So thinking I'll get the bottom end built with forged parts and get my valve reliefs cut in them. That way I can also use the arp studs to their full potential. If anyone has any thoughts on a cam and pistons let me know. The valves are 45mm intake and 37 exhaust. Haven't confirmed that. From what I remember that is 1.5mm bigger then a stock 20r. As sirdeuce mentioned to me and getting a good look for myself the port work isn't anything crazy.

Edit: Adding details to the build for any recommendations on pistons and a cam. I got the weber 40's. Not sure of my choke I'm running. Max is 36mm on the 40's. I do plan on using them but eventually would like an itb setup. Shorty header with 2 inch all the way back and a cutout 2½ feet back from the collector. Dui igntion with rev limiter module. If I can make power up to 7k I would be really happy. 91 octane gas is all I ever have around me.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  19. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    That head would do really well with a cam around 260* and .460" lift. Might do well with a little more duration with dual carbs. Double check your coil bind clearance no matter what cam you use. Exhaust was going to be 1 3/8" when I had it done. The head porter that did that head died right after he did the work. R.I.P. Ed. Might have been the last one he did.

jetas and Pearce like this.
  20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well a big wrench has got me thinking to change plans on the truck. Someone took out my daily IS300. Im alright but the car will probably be totaled. I plan on buying it back. I'm thinking of swapping some things from it to the Hilux. The 2jzge and cd009 6 speed along with the front cloth seats. Might be throwing the wheels on that I have on order for the IS300. They are Work Lanvic Ld1's 18x8.5 plus 34. Not sure how well this would fit. Definitely not the look I would of chosen for the truck but I'm going to have them hanging around. Obviously I'm looking for a replacement car that may be a better fit for the wheels. That's all I got now. Going to go cry some more.

jetas and 74RN22 like this.